View Full Version : Dumb Question - how do you write in a PPC?

gopwillie
01-09-2004, 10:19 PM
Hi, I'm just now considering buying a PPC. I was thinking that I wanted a PDA-based phone, but don't know if I want to spend $500. How do you enter info into the device? I know about graffit on Palm, but how does it work on these devices? Thanks for your help. And does anyone have any recommendations for about $300 and less? At first glance, I like the hp's. Thanks in advance for your help,

Greg

Ripper014
01-09-2004, 11:21 PM
I doubt you want a PDA based phone.. they are pretty small... and I am not a big fan of convergence devices... If you want a phone buy a phone... if your looking for a pda then get a pda.

In your case I would look at why you want one... not just because it may seem to be the cool thing to do... omg.. "COOL".. do we still say that..?

Anyway... for the second question... data entry can be done a numerous amount of ways... through the device itself you can use (Transcriber/Caligrapher) Graffiti type programs.. or you can use the virtual keyboard, there are also modified virtual keyboards such as Fitaly available.

You can also enter data for your PIM through the desktop in OUTLOOK and then sync the information over to your PDA.

You need to be a little more specific with your question... before we can give you an answer... Ideally what you wish to use it for...

David Prahl
01-09-2004, 11:23 PM
Welcome, Greg!

There are several "input methods" that come with every Pocket PC. Users can switch between them easily by tapping on a small icon on the bottom right hand corner of the screen (which appears when entering text is possible). Here they are, but keep in mind that you can add others or use a keyboard:

-Block Recognizer
This is pretty much a rip-off of Palm's Graffiti - which is why I like it so much! It's called a "virtual graffiti" area because you can have it disappear or appear as you like, thereby increasing screen space. As far as I know, the letters are identical to Graffiti 1.

-Keyboard
Keyboard is an on-screen keyboard that lets you tap on the letters you want. I tend to use it for entering passwords, special characters, or hitting Control + C and Control + V to copy and paste (like PCs).

-Letter Recognizer
Lets you write regular lower-case letters one at a time. Like Graffiti for those who don't know Graffiti.

-Transcriber
This is pretty cool, but I don't use it very often. You can write entire words or sentances anywhere on the screen (cursive, print, numbers, whatever) and it recognizes them with surprising accuracy. Kind of awkward for word processing, though.

Robb Bates
01-09-2004, 11:39 PM
Don't forget about third party input methods like Ripper mentioned.

There are many dozens of different input methods you can add. So you aren't stuck with just one. For example on my PPC I have the four standard ones, Block Recognizer, Keyboard, Letter Recognizer, Transcriber and I added PHM Character Map which is much like the character map in Windows that let's you select strange symbols and foreign letters, PHM Clipboard Pane which acts as a multiple clipboard to cut copy and paste stadard phrases, PHM Ext. Keyboard which doesn't do anything except keep your screen clear of the pop-up keyboard when you want to use an External Keyboard.

There are also a few improved handwriting recognition programs, one input method that is actually a calculator, some weird "optimized" input methods and many more.

When I am at school taking notes, I do so with my folding keyboard. When out and about I use Block Recognizer to enter transactions into M$ Money. And when I want to write short emails, I'll use Fitaly or the basic keyboard.

Basically, if you don't like one way of entering information, there are many, many alternatives.

Just do a search on www.handango.com Pocket PC section for "input methods" and you'll see what we mean.

Hope that helps,
Robb

gopwillie
01-10-2004, 05:53 PM
Thanks for the help guys.

In terms of what I'm looking to usa a PDA for, I guess it would be for a bunch of non essential things. I do kind of want a toy.

The reason I asked about the input method was that I would like to be able to carry it with me, and if I needed to quickly write a to-do list or grocery list, etc, I could easily. I used to have a Kyocera Palm-phone which was very bulky as a phone and not very easy to use.

I know I will use the Excel program for work, and would certainly play with pictures, movies and mp3s. I do not live anywhere near any Wi-fi or anything, so I guess I will not be able to get online.

The only reason I was thinking of buying a combo device again was because I'm scared that I will not take my PDA everywhere with me like I do my phone, thus losing it's functionality. Thanks again everyone,

Greg

David Prahl
01-10-2004, 06:27 PM
If you're looking for a device without wireless and ~$300, check these out (links to reviews below each):

-HP 1935/1945
http://www.bargainpda.com/reviews/default.asp?reviewID=200

-Dell Axim X3 (non-wireless)
(I'm working on a review right now, but you can see one here:
http://www.aximsite.com/reviews/index.php?qid=143&catid=97 )

-Dell Axim X5
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/articles.php?action=expand,7960

-Viewsonic V35 or V36
http://www.bargainpda.com/reviews/default.asp?reviewID=244

What kind of phone do you have? You might be able to hook it up to a PPC and get on the web.

Ripper014
01-10-2004, 07:39 PM
Pda's are really not that big to carry around... and you get used to it. Like I always say to my co-workers... its like a woman's purse... its not like they ever forget it.. (hmmmmmmmmmmm....)

As far as programs... Pocket Word and Pocket Excel are rather weak... Pocket Word is hardly anything more than a notepad... and Excel is not more than the most basic spreadsheet. You can replace these with Textmaker an excellent wordprocessor and I like to use SpreadCE for a spreadsheet program. Textmaker is a commercial product... but SpreadCE had a free version if you can deal with the nag screen. But then for $20 you can have that removed. For a list program Listpro is near the top of the list but is commercial... there are some excellent alternatives such as dNote...

For music I like GSPlayer which is free... will play Mp3's but I like to use Ogg... PocketMVP which will play the prevoiusly mention audio files.. but will also play mpegs and divX files... (if encoded at a level that the PPC can process).

The thing I think you will appreciate over the phone is the larger screen size... this gives you much more working area for what you want to do... this is why I do not think that the PocketPC will ever really die... people always talk about intergated units and always point at the cell phone as the way it will go... but there is no way that you can do any serious work on a unit that size. Even with the current pda's I am happy to see that the resolutions are being increased... to 640x480. If a 1024x768 screen is legible at on a 4 inch screen then life would be good... I could actually start making use of desktop apps on a handheld.

I guess you could always go the virtual screen route... but I think most of us like to have something solid in our hands...

Kowalski
01-10-2004, 10:28 PM
i always use transcriber on my ppc. give it a try, it has many nice features.

tanalasta
01-11-2004, 03:49 AM
The reason I asked about the input method was that I would like to be able to carry it with me, and if I needed to quickly write a to-do list or grocery list, etc, I could easily. I used to have a Kyocera Palm-phone which was very bulky as a phone and not very easy to use.

If you had a palm in the past, you'll find that you can use block recognizer in about half a second flat. The character strokes are almost identical to that found on the palm. Letter recognizer uses more generic letter strokes which is why i prefer it but it's a matter of taste. So don't worry, either way you'll be able to write text no slower than you were on your old device! Next time you go to a big departmental store, why not play with a few devices/input methods? Open up word and tap on the arrow in the bottom right hand corner of the pda screen to select an input method :)