View Full Version : Are Pocket PCs Appliances or Computers?

Jason Dunn
01-09-2004, 09:00 PM
Smartphone Thoughts reader <i>Luzerman</i> posted a comment in a <a href="http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4731&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0">recent discussion about Motorola and upgrades</a>, and I thought it would spark an interesting discussion among Pocket PC users:<br /><br /><i>"There is a difference between the WMPPC/PPCPE and WMSP devices and a desktop. The HHCs are appliances. How often do you update the software on your Heating/AC controller? How often do you update the software in your car? your radio? TV? VCR? DVD player? These devices are meant to be sold and forgotten or at least only repaired when something physically breaks. With the low/no margins on many of the PPC/SP devices it makes no sense for most companies to put the development money into supporting a new OS after the device has already been released."</i><br /><br />The issue of whether or not Pocket PCs are appliances is a very interesting one to me, and I can see some of the logic in the idea of thinking of it as an appliance - I've seen some Pocket PC OEMs take the same stance. "It does the same functions as the day you bought it, so if you want new functions, buy a new device." That approach breaks down when you really start to compare it to a true appliance: I don't need to upgrade the firmware on my DVD player because it works 100% of the time and does what it's supposed to do. DVD players also have universal features: stop, play, chapter skip, etc. No one would think of releasing a DVD player on the market that couldn't pause a DVD, right?<br /><br />Can the same be said of a Pocket PC? Absolutely not - they have bugs and bad design issues that prevent users from using them the way they want to. The very nature of a Pocket PC is so complicated compared to a microwave, that it's impossible to "get right" in the same way a microwave or DVD player can be created. The basics are still not perfected in a Pocket PC - it's like buying a DVD player that plays DVDs most of the time, but every so often it would lock up and you'd have to reboot it.<br /><br />Beyond the technical reasons though, I think that most powerful one is perception: it's running a Microsoft operating system, which to everyone in the computer industry means "This is a a computer". Microsoft's own marketing trumpets the fact that it's a powerful personal computer that you can put in your pocket - they don't promote it as a disposable appliance. So, like it or not, the public doesn't perceive Pocket PCs as being appliances, and as such they expect bug fixes and upgrades like they would for any other computer. That's the nature of the beast...

possmann
01-09-2004, 09:18 PM
I could not agree more – PPC devices are computers and therefore should be treated as such by the vendors that provide them. I would love to get away from the current model of vendor determined upgrades or patches and into the model we all use for our desktops: We don’t wait for Dell to come out with a Dell-Specific patch to the XP OS, we get the patch directly from Microsoft.

From what I have seen, there should be no reason that PPC hardware manufactures (or suppliers) cannot follow the same model.

Now if you are talking Smartphone or PcoketPC Phone editions, well then you may actually look at the device being more in line with the current models for these OS’s… wait until the vendor provides the patch.

Frankly, I’d love to see us get away from this model and don’t really understand the need for waiting for Dell or HP or Toshiba (shiver) to supply a patch that MS made available to them months before. And I don’t buy into this special button mapping or vendor specific OS stuff either. After all there is no Vendor specific stuff on my Dell PC outside of the initial BIOS screen – why should PPC’s be different? I would think that PPC sellers would love to see that model too as they would be able to cut costs in having to test and supply patches and focus more on selling the devices…

stlbud
01-09-2004, 11:26 PM
I didn't pay $599.95 for my thermostat, or my VCR, or even my DVD player. I know that all together they cost less than $400.00. Besides, my dishwaser is about 15 years old. I'm on my third Windows CE system. So NO! It is not a Mixmaster or a dishwasher. It is a computer and a very fragile one at that. If they want to call it an appliance, they need to make them much more durable and be worthwhile for a much longer time than they have been.

David C
01-09-2004, 11:41 PM
Even if we are talking about cellphones. A new firmware comes out every 6 month or so to fix bugs and add new features. At Sprint where I work, it is expected as the norm that venders release a new software version every so often during the life time of a phone. All customer have to do is come in the store and get their phone updated.

Air
01-09-2004, 11:58 PM
wait I thought PPC can function as a flashlight too? hence it IS a home appliance. :mrgreen:

just wait until they add PPC into microwave or PPC with GPS and thermometer all for $199. You'll get even more confused... :twisted:

Don Tolson
01-10-2004, 12:06 AM
I personally would love to have a web-enabled appliance (microwave, DVD player, etc.) which would download new firmware-based features every once in a while. It would be kind of cool to be able to read new formats of DVD's or super-DVD's; have new 'pre-programmed recipes' in the microwave, etc.

mike6024
01-10-2004, 12:21 AM
[quote="Jason Dunn"] I don't need to upgrade the firmware on my DVD player because it works 100% of the time and does what it's supposed to do.[\quote]

I don't think this is particularly true. For instance, I've read reviews about DVD players that also play VCDs, MP3 CDs, Photo CDs, etc, and they had many bugs to report. Definitely didn't work 100% of the time. I suppose that's partly because appliances are becoming more computerized, but I don't think it's a safe bet to say that every appliance works 100% of the time and to use that as a reason why Pocket PCs aren't appliances.

ctmagnus
01-10-2004, 01:33 AM
I've never heard of any appliances that come with memory waiting to accept the installation of add-on programs.

Air
01-10-2004, 01:52 AM
some of those giant remote control can accept programming of sort.

gohtor
01-10-2004, 02:53 AM
I read somewhere where there is an attempt at making all applicances come with a standard method of "upgrading" meaning if you wanted your coffee maker to be able to auto sleep when it didn't have that feature before it would be made possible. and that this method of "updating" would be dealt by a standardized communication. It would certainly be contrary to the believe that future appliances will be seen as a "buy it and forget it" attitude.

just my rant about that point. I do like to buy things that are upgradable.

Robert Huie

Kati Compton
01-10-2004, 03:06 AM
I didn't pay $599.95 for my thermostat, or my VCR, or even my DVD player. I know that all together they cost less than $400.00. Besides, my dishwaser is about 15 years old. I'm on my third Windows CE system. So NO! It is not a Mixmaster or a dishwasher. It is a computer and a very fragile one at that. If they want to call it an appliance, they need to make them much more durable and be worthwhile for a much longer time than they have been.
Don't use price as a guide - I'd say a computer costs about the same as a refrigerator, or perhaps more accurately, an oven. You can get basic for $500. It only goes up from there...

caywen
01-10-2004, 03:52 AM
Are computers appliances?

Seriously, who cares?

Jonathon Watkins
01-10-2004, 01:47 PM
Seriously, who cares?

Umm we do? :lol:

If they are appliances, we don't get much support.
If they are computers, we should get more.

Therefore the perception matters.

Therefore this dicsussion.

cpoole
01-11-2004, 03:49 AM
If you use the Pocket Computer for one task only, I would be willing to call that specific device an appliance.

I have a friend that does a lot of computer based video recording and processing. He has many computers that are set up to do one task only and he refers to them as appliances. Once they are set up, he does not tinker with them or use them for other purposes. Yes, they can be updated so they could be concidered "smart" - configurable - maintainable appliances.

If I used my pocket PC for only one task such playing music or as a fancy TV remote control, then I think that I have redefined it purpose to be an appliance rather than a computer.

Vulcan
01-12-2004, 11:34 AM
Look at it from this side.....If a company decides not to provide any upgrades or enhancements would they keep you as a customer if another company did offer those services? I think it is in both the consumer and the manufactors of PPC to continue to provide FREE updates to improve their products.