View Full Version : Can an Installed eBook be...

Paula
01-09-2004, 05:15 AM
Now to complete the question.
Can an already installed ebook be moved from one location to another without re-installing it?

This is what I would like to do.

I want to install Palm Reader in main memory, but install the ebooks on my CF card and then move them to main memeory only when I want to read them. Is this possible?

Paula

Vulcan
01-09-2004, 05:23 AM
Why not just read the Ebook from the CF card location?...The reader will make a small file in the main memory that stores you page info etc.

Janak Parekh
01-09-2004, 06:13 AM
Vulcan's point is good, although Vulcan, perhaps she uses the memory card between different devices, or has different memory cards? ;)

In any case, Paula, yes, you can move them anytime. For MS Reader, put them anywhere you want. For Palm Reader, they have to be in "\My Documents\Peanut Press" either in main memory or a storage card. Moving them via File Explorer is fine. Do avoid having two copies of the book, otherwise you might see two entries...

Palm Reader's desktop "installer", BTW, is merely for convenience. I don't use it anymore -- I copy files to the memory card via my desktop's USB flash reader.

--janak

Paula
01-09-2004, 06:25 AM
Ah, see I tried using my USB card reader and moved all the ebooks to my documents> peanut press, but the reader couldn't find them.

The reader was installed in main memory and the books (just copied not "installed") on my CF card. But it just refused to find them. So today I did a hard reset and now that I think I know what I'm doing (hehe), am trying to reinstall everything I installed and mucked up. Well not exactly mucked up, but there was a folder that was installed that didn't have an app for it. I couldn't find it to delete it so I just decided to start all over again, being careful to watch everything after the installation.

So...
No I have to re-install Reader in Main memory then copy the book back to my CF card in peanutpress folder and then hope for the best.

Any other info I may need?

I just tried re-installing it and I couldn't find an option to install it on my mem card. it automatically installed it in memory. I did want oit there but I also want an option to install on my mem card. What didn't I do right????

AND the reader still can't find the books.
Paula

Janak Parekh
01-09-2004, 06:43 AM
Ah, see I tried using my USB card reader and moved all the ebooks to my documents> peanut press, but the reader couldn't find them.
Weird. If you named it exactly, it should work. Worked for me. :| I'll double-check tomorrow...

--janak

Paula
01-09-2004, 06:50 AM
OOOps. :oops: What I did was name it PeanutPress the way it was installed in main memory. There is no space between peanut and press.

Now can you please help me with why I didn't get an option to install it on my mem card? :|

Thanks
Paula

dMores
01-09-2004, 03:57 PM
you don't *install* an ebook. it's a text file you open with an ebook reader.

now since you wanted to know about the "install to" option, did you install palm reader from your desktop, or copy the .CAB file to your memory card with the card reader and run on the PDA?

if you run the desktop installer, you're always asked "do you want to install this app in the default location" or similar, select "no" to select another drive.
but the program *should" be installed in main memory, to prevent any confusion and system lockups/weirdness when you don't have the card inserted.

Janak Parekh
01-09-2004, 06:46 PM
OOOps. :oops: What I did was name it PeanutPress the way it was installed in main memory. There is no space between peanut and press.
Ah, I see your problem. You're confusing the program's folder with the data folder. For the Palm Reader to see the ebook, it must be in "\My Documents\Peanut Press" on either the main device or the storage card. This has nothing to do with "\Program Files\PeanutPress".

Now can you please help me with why I didn't get an option to install it on my mem card? :|
When I have a minute, I will... but my real suggestion is that you shouldn't bother with the installer, just copy the ebooks onto the Pocket PC directly. It's much simpler that way. :)

--janak

Paula
01-10-2004, 05:57 AM
now since you wanted to know about the "install to" option, did you install palm reader from your desktop, or copy the .CAB file to your memory card with the card reader and run on the PDA?

if you run the desktop installer, you're always asked "do you want to install this app in the default location" or similar, select "no" to select another drive.
but the program *should" be installed in main memory, to prevent any confusion and system lockups/weirdness when you don't have the card inserted.

I ran the install from the desk top. I didn't know that a CAB file was created. This was the first thing that I had ever installed. Do all apps have CAB files generated for them?

I don't remember seeing "do you want this installed in the default location". I will be installing Mobipocket reader soon so I will look for it. However I want this installed in main memory anyway.

I have installed all games to the CF card those don't seem to generate a CAB file.

So... I can copy the CAB file to my memory card and then install from there... who knew?!? :lol:

I have been copying all my books to my SD and CF cards via USB card reader. But when I couldn't get it to work I though maybe I had to use ActiveSync.

Thanks for all the help. :D

Paula

Janak Parekh
01-10-2004, 06:37 AM
you don't *install* an ebook. it's a text file you open with an ebook reader.
Actually, Palm Reader's install tool has a means to install additional ebooks and/or Palm Reader itself.

I didn't know that a CAB file was created. This was the first thing that I had ever installed. Do all apps have CAB files generated for them?
Almost. Palm Reader does not make a CAB out of the ebook and then copy it over. It just copies it directly through ActiveSync, much like you can.

CAB, or cabinet files, are bundles usually used for applications installable on the Pocket PC. They're made by the manufacturer -- they are not made on the fly. You can often install Pocket PC software just by tapping on the CAB file if you copy it onto the device. If you see a program with both the CAB file and the setup program, the setup program is often just an automated assistant that helps you copy the CAB file over automatically and to run it.

My suggestion is: use the setup program in most cases. For ebooks, copy them through ActiveSync or a card reader. And for applications that come only in .CAB, then copy them over & tap them.

--janak

PetiteFlower
01-10-2004, 08:23 AM
In ActiveSync, in the Add/Remove Programs window, there is a little checkbox that says "Always install programs to the default location" or something similar. It starts out checked. In order to get that dialog box when you install programs, you have to uncheck that box. Then you will get the question, and say NO and you will get the option to install to main memory, built in storage(if you have any) or storage card. It also tells you how much memory the installed program requires, which I find helpful.

disconnected
01-10-2004, 06:53 PM
I buy books from Peanut Press regularly, so unless it's time to update the reader app itself, I find that it's easiest for me to cancel out of the automatic download at checkout, and then go to the "my bookshelf" page of Peanut Press and just download the books individually to the folder I keep the books in on my PC. This way each book is a separate (not zipped) file, and I can copy whichever books I want onto my PocketPC using ActiveSync explore (or, more often, wirelessly from the Pocket PC using Resco file explorer).

Paula
01-10-2004, 10:12 PM
Janak, PetiteFlower, Disconnected

Thank you for all of your help. It makes my loading life a lot easier knowing what to do. I have been staring at this screen for so long my eyes are crossing. 8O

I will be looking for CAB files.

Paula

Paula
01-12-2004, 10:28 AM
A new question has also come out of this. How do I uninstall palm reader?
There is no uninstall and Palm Reader does not appear in the delete programs page. I want to delete it for a particular reason and re-install it. BUT if I just go in and delete the files directly I want to make sure 1) I get everything 2) I don't mess things up.

Thanks
Paula

Janak Parekh
01-12-2004, 04:58 PM
A new question has also come out of this. How do I uninstall palm reader?
There is no uninstall and Palm Reader does not appear in the delete programs page. I want to delete it for a particular reason and re-install it. BUT if I just go in and delete the files directly I want to make sure 1) I get everything 2) I don't mess things up.
Go into the Palm Reader's installer on the deskop. There's an uninstall in it, I believe.

--janak

Paula
01-13-2004, 08:10 AM
I had looked in the desk top folder and it wasn't there. I may have to re-download the palm reader again. and see what I get.

Paula

Jorgen
01-13-2004, 09:34 PM
No, run the install program again and it will give you the option to deinstall.

Jorgen

Paula
01-15-2004, 10:51 AM
Thanks Jorgen. It saves me the time and trouble of re-downloading Palm Reader. I though I might have deleted something I shouldn't have.

Paula