View Full Version : Is it possible to change terminal client connection port ?

Mitchybums
01-08-2004, 11:03 PM
Is there a way to change the default port (3389) from the terminal server connection to a different one?
On the server/winxp desktop its just a simple registry key, but I cannot find a similair key on Windows Mobile 2003.
anyone idea's on how to do this?

Dave Beauvais
01-09-2004, 02:34 AM
This has been asked by people before on other on other sites and I think everyone has come to the conclusion that it's not possible. I've never understood why Microsoft (and other companies) create network-enabled software without the ability to change the ports used. Hey Microsoft: not everyone is able to use the standard ports! A default standard port is great, but the ability to change it for those who can't use it would be very nice.

papac
01-25-2004, 12:31 AM
Hey all,

If you have already changed the listening port on the "server," then all you have to do is add the new port number to your server name on the client side.

example: servername:portnumber

In other words, enter the name or IP address of the server, then a colon and the new port number.

good luck.

papac

Mark_Venture
01-25-2004, 01:06 AM
example: servername:portnumber
Been there... It works from PC's client connecting to a server... but not when connecting from iPAQ's client connecting to the same server...

For me... "server" named PC1 is running WinXP Pro with RDP port set to 3390.

On laptop... I put PC1:3390 and it connects no problems. (And has since I set it up this way).

On iPAQ.. I put PC1:3390 and it errors out and does not connect.

Change the server back to port 3389, go to the iPAQ and just put in PC1 and it works.

papac
01-25-2004, 04:31 AM
:oops: I should know better than to post a reply without actually testing it. I am still surprised that it will not work. Will test it myself in the next few days and post results.

papac

Mitchybums
01-25-2004, 04:40 AM
Tried it, no luck on that part.
Did work on XP and the like, even dug through the registry to see if I could find it, but also no luck on that.

Just gave up on it, and using VNC right now.
it does have a configurable port.