View Full Version : PPC: File Storage Protocols for Newbie?

JTEK
01-08-2004, 08:13 PM
Greets, all:

Just purchased an e805 and am new to the PPC experience.

I have a quick couple of questions regarding where I should store some general data.**

(1.) I have a copious amount of Notes in Outlook. After Active-Syncing, I noticed that all those notes are dropped into Main Memory in the My Documents folder. Is there any way of controlling where those notes are initially stored upon syncing? Am I forced to keep them in Main Memory or can I store them all in the built-in extra FlashROM (NAND) or an add-on SD/CF card? Do I need to have a My Documents directory on the latter two?

Any advice on this stuff would be greatly appreciated.

(2.) Lastly, does anyone know if I can store programs/apps on the NAND ROM instead of Main Memory? I'm curious if the NAND works more like "Main" memory or more like a permanent memory card that should only be used for data storage.

Thanks again for any and all info relating to the above questions; any general information on storing data (docs, mp3s, et. al.) is also appreciated!.

** Please be aware that I am still mucking around with my new PPC and am not averse to a hard reset since I haven't made any final decisions on which programs I'm going to keep/buy. Am willing to hard-reset to get things working "just right".

Anthony Caruana
01-09-2004, 12:05 AM
(2.) Lastly, does anyone know if I can store programs/apps on the NAND ROM instead of Main Memory? I'm curious if the NAND works more like "Main" memory or more like a permanent memory card that should only be used for data storage

You can install apps to the NAND ROM. Think of it as a permanently installed memory card. Just be aware that some apps must be stored in Main Memory and won't work otherwise. Generally, the installation instructions will make this clear.

Not sure about your Notes question. However, I'm pretty sure that only the My Documents folder in Main Memory can sync through Activesync