View Full Version : Help connecting my new IPAQ 4155 to wireless internet

scdgoofy
01-08-2004, 09:40 AM
Ok, I've done a bunch of searching through the forum, but I still can't pinpoint a solution to my problem.

Here's the scoop. I have a linksys wireless router and two laptops with wireless cards. I have a static IP through my DSL provider. No problem on the connection for either of those devices. Normally, I have this network secured with 64 bit WEP and I change the SSID.

My new 4155 (with built-in wireless) seems to only connect when WEP is disabled. After a couple of hours working on it, I reset the wireless network to factory default, and viola, the IPAQ can connect and access the internet.

So, I'm now connecting wirelessly to my factory default network. Setup on the IPAQ is as follows:

Network name: linksys
Connects to: The Internet
Nothing checked on the "authentication" page
Network adapters page: Use server-assigned IP address

Now when I try to connect after turning on WEP, the IPAQ shows that it is connected, but I can't pull up any pages on Internet Explorer. Set up is now:

Network name: linksys
Connects to: The Internet
Authentication: Data Encryption is checked; 4 keys have been put in

Do I need to put any IP addresses in the "WLAN Wireless Adapter" setting? If so, is the the wireless router (198.168.1.1) or my static IP address? (Neither seem to work.)

Any thoughts??? I really don't feel like leaving the network open to all.

Thanks in advance for your help!

-goof

koro
01-08-2004, 05:59 PM
Your setup seems to be pretty much the same as mine, using a 4150 with a Linksys WiFi router.

The only difference I can see is that I only have one WEP key (128 bit, I think) while you have four.

Perhaps try it using just one key? It certainly seems like the WEP is your problem, given that you can connect when WEP is disabled.

ajnemasis
01-08-2004, 09:14 PM
If you are going to use a static IP with the Linksys device, you will want to use it like this.

IP Address: 192.168.1.2-99 - you can choose your # between this. They seem the best with the Linksys Routers.
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway 192.168.1.1 - which is your router.
You will also need to add the DNS addresses which you can get from the Linksys status screen under the WAN port.

The other thing you will want to check since you are using 4 WEP keys is to make sure that you are using the same default key on the IPAQ, Linksys usually defaults to use key one but if you changed that make sure that the IPAQ uses the same one.

Hope this helps.

AJ

shawnc
01-08-2004, 10:59 PM
If you're network is 802.11g, check your original setup/configuration. The only problem I had setting up my 4155 to my linksys network was that my network was 802.11g. When I set it up I was asked whether all machines using the network were 802.11g or "mixed". I selected the "all" option, which obviously prevented me from using the 4155. I went back and changed the network setup to "mixed" and my 4155 connected instantly and I haven't had one problem since.

scdgoofy
01-09-2004, 06:06 PM
Well, I changed my WEP key from 64 bit (requires 4 keys) to 128 bit (requires on long key) and I'm hooked up with no problems. Not exactly sure what the issue with 64 bit was... maybe I didn't copy all the keys down correctly?

Anyway, thanks for the advice. I'm glad this forum is here because I really haven't been able to find a whole lot of support for my iPAQ anywhere else online!