View Full Version : Bluetooth Stowaway Coming In Late May?

Janak Parekh
01-08-2004, 03:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.brighthand.com/article/Bluetooth_Stowaway_Coming_in_Late_May' target='_blank'>http://www.brighthand.com/article/B...ing_in_Late_May</a><br /><br /></div>"The company expects this keyboard to be released sometime around late May. Because this is still several months away, not all the details of this release have been ironed out. However, a company spokesperson was willing to reveal that this device will definitely be released by an OEM...The Think Outside spokesperson wasn't willing to reveal at this time who this OEM will be. However, it is known that it will be a Pocket PC licensee. Think Outside is having difficulties with the Palm OS Bluetooth stack which will delay the release of a driver for this platform."<br /><br />One word: oooh! I had my heart set on getting a Stowaway IR, but now I'm wondering if that's a mistake and if I should wait for this BT solution. I'm inclined to, but I'd like to see the setup -- for example, will the keyboard still have a stand for the PDA? The comment about having issues with Palm OS's Bluetooth stack was also interesting -- is it at all like the issue PalmOS is having with WiFi, that is, <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21809">inconsistency across licensees/devices</a>?

CTSLICK
01-08-2004, 03:09 PM
The important question for me is can I use a BT CF card to connect my pda to my phone for internet access AND connect to the keyboard at the same time. My hope is yes...my expectation is no. If I can't then I will stick with my trusty Targus IR keyboard.

Ed@Brighthand
01-08-2004, 03:47 PM
The comment about having issues with Palm OS's Bluetooth stack was also interesting -- is it at all like the issue PalmOS is having with WiFi, that is, inconsistency across licensees/devices?

Think Outside told me the main limitation with the Palm OS Bluetooth stack was that it allowed the handheld to be connected to only one peripheral at a time. So you couldn't, for example, be typing on the Stowaway and connected to the Net through your mobile phone. Pretty lame, eh?

If there are any inconsistencies in Bluetooth implementation between licensees, they don't seem to be affecting developers much. While it's true there aren't a lot of Bluetooth-enabled applications, I don't see many of them that are only good for, say, palmOne's Bluetooth-enabled models and not Sony's.

Oleander
01-08-2004, 04:08 PM
Grrr!
Why the Stowaway XT!?

Is the three-way foldable original Stowaway just a thing of the past?

I really fear the day when my old Compaq Stowaway dies on me. :(

Hank Scorpio
01-08-2004, 04:59 PM
Just wondering if anyone has tried to hook up a apple bluetooth keyboard to a Pocket PC yet? I'm kinda itching to get one for my emac, and if it hooked up to my pocket PC I'd by it in a nanosecond.

Janak Parekh
01-08-2004, 05:19 PM
Think Outside told me the main limitation with the Palm OS Bluetooth stack was that it allowed the handheld to be connected to only one peripheral at a time. So you couldn't, for example, be typing on the Stowaway and connected to the Net through your mobile phone. Pretty lame, eh?
Yup. Thanks for the clarification, Ed. A number of consumer BT devices have this problem, but for it to be specific to the OS itself is problematic. :| I wonder (hope?) that OS 6 fixes this limitation.

--janak

Pat Logsdon
01-08-2004, 06:05 PM
Grrr!
Why the Stowaway XT!?

Is the three-way foldable original Stowaway just a thing of the past?

I really fear the day when my old Compaq Stowaway dies on me. :(
AAAaArgh!! I didn't realize when I first read this that the keyboard was going to be an XT, but I guess it would be. From glee to crushing disappointment in 30 seconds. Whee.

I used to swear by the old "W" Stowaway, but I converted about a year ago to the Darfon folding model that's available for HP, Dell, etc. A little wider than the Stowaway when folded, but not as thick, and smaller footprint when opened. If someone could make a bluetooth version of THAT keyboard, I'd be on Cloud 9. I NEED number keys. :cry:

rmasinag
01-09-2004, 04:20 AM
:multi:

Bring it on! bring it on!

Scott R
01-09-2004, 07:37 AM
The important question for me is can I use a BT CF card to connect my pda to my phone for internet access AND connect to the keyboard at the same time. My hope is yes...my expectation is no. If I can't then I will stick with my trusty Targus IR keyboard.That's my big question as well. Based on Ed's comments here, I'm thinking that maybe this isn't a problem with the PPC OS after all. I'm also guessing that the secret PPC licensee is HP.

Scott

CTSLICK
01-09-2004, 03:25 PM
The important question for me is can I use a BT CF card to connect my pda to my phone for internet access AND connect to the keyboard at the same time. My hope is yes...my expectation is no. If I can't then I will stick with my trusty Targus IR keyboard.That's my big question as well. Based on Ed's comments here, I'm thinking that maybe this isn't a problem with the PPC OS after all. I'm also guessing that the secret PPC licensee is HP.

Scott

Even if the OS "handles" it my concern is that the people who created the drivers are going to fail. Devices with integrated BT made by companies with a vision to market BT products (HP for example) might be ok but I am using an Axim with an Ambicom BT CF card. I haven't even found a clean way to switch from a BT/PC connection to a BT/cell phone connection without involving a soft reset. If I am lucky they will update their driver...but I am not confident at this point.