View Full Version : Toshiba e805 vs. ipaq 5555

arnage2
01-08-2004, 01:47 AM
I an thinking about buying a toshiba e805 or an ipaq 5555. I will use it for gaming, video viewing, and wifi. I like to expand the memory of my pdas. If anybody owns one of these models, please let me know the pros and cons, and/or which one that you would choose.

Falstaff
01-08-2004, 02:30 AM
I don't own either, but looking at what you want to use the device for, the e805 is probably your best bet. For expansion, the 5555 only has SD, so max of 1gb (if you want to spend a fortune), whereas the e805 has CFI/II and SD slots. With a microdrive you can get up to 5gb, and you can get 1gb relatively cheaply with flash memory CF. As for gaming and videos, they both run Intel XScale 400MHz processors, but the e805 has a nice ATI graphics "card" (if I'm not mistaken), butI'm not sure what kind of video DSP the 5555 has. Also on this subject is the most important difference, the screen, For gaming and videos (watching movies especially), you can get 4 times the resolution with the e805 because of the 480x640 screen. If I was in your position and I could afford either, I would definately go for the e805.

arnage2
01-08-2004, 03:32 AM
will the e805's pxa263 processor make a difference?

Bladefree21
01-08-2004, 04:32 AM
Both PDA's are very feature packed :twisted:
I will use it for gaming, video viewing, and wifi. I like to expand the memory of my pdas.
Both PDA's do what you want really well. It all depends on what you want more in this scenario. iPAQ's in the past were the first to integrate everything, though now they are a little behind in the screen resolution area. :splat: :rotfl:

Bluetooth for GPS, and memory for applications were my deciding factors. :D The biometric fingerprint security is also kind of nice, though not really essential in most situations.

For expansion, the 5555 only has SD, so max of 1gb (if you want to spend a fortune), whereas the e805 has CFI/II and SD slots. With a microdrive you can get up to 5gb, and you can get 1gb relatively cheaply with flash memory CF.

CF Expansion is an option with several styles on the iPAQ

Anthony Caruana
01-08-2004, 05:50 AM
will the e805's pxa263 processor make a difference?

BAsed on info at the Intel web site I don't believe that PXA 255 vs PXA 263 will make any difference. As far as i can understand the big difference is processor size with the PXA26X series being smaller.

Personally, I don't think that there is much difference in the devices. Choose the one that you prefer the feel of as both will do the things you are after (although if you plan to use CF cards/memory you'll need some sort of expansion sleeve for the iPAQ).

Hovever, I would not buy the Toshiba on principal. Their contempt for customers, as evidenced by the WM2003 upgrade on the E700 series, is a disgrace. HP, while not perfect, are a more customer driven organisation, IMHO.

arnage2
01-08-2004, 06:00 AM
but what about the 4 in. vga screen? That must be a big difference over the ipaq's 3.8in qvga. Also, doesnt the e805 have 160 mb of memory? (128 ram+32mb nand)

Anthony Caruana
01-08-2004, 08:05 AM
but what about the 4 in. vga screen? That must be a big difference over the ipaq's 3.8in qvga. Also, doesnt the e805 have 160 mb of memory? (128 ram+32mb nand)

Sounds like you've made up your mind then. In any case, I will never buy a Toshiba PDA. Their commitment to Pocket PC is questionable and their treatment of customers, like I said, is deplorable.

But that's just my opinion...

newst
01-08-2004, 02:32 PM
Let me start this out by saying that I own-and am verrrrrrrry happy with, a Toshiba E-805. Also, I've never used a 5XXX Ipaq, so I can't give any comparisons between the two PPCs.

OK, Disclaimer over. As the happy owner of an E-805 I would not recommend it if your a serious gamer and you want to play games on a VGA screen.

1. Unless I'm mistaken, most games are based on a bitmap screen. From everything I've seen, read, and personally experienced, programs with bitmapped screens are displayed in a 320x240 box in 1/4 of the VGA screen. MUCH smaller than the full screen display of any other PPC.

2. The control button set up is not well appointed for gaming, and the buttons themselves are rather stiff. Gaming on this PPC would probably be uncomfortable (I am not a gamer so I'm guessing here).

3. There are many reports by gamers at Brighthand complaining of button lag (and many denying that there is any serious lag). It appears to depend on the unit you get.

Again, while I am happy with the E-805 it is a significant investment. Before you spend money on it I'd advise a thorough study of the Toshiba E-800 Forum at Brighthand and some hands-on experience at the local electronics shop of your choice.

arnage2
01-08-2004, 03:16 PM
my toshiba e405 had button lag. I guess that is a problem with new toshiba ppcs.

newst
01-09-2004, 01:06 PM
my toshiba e405 had button lag. I guess that is a problem with new toshiba ppcs.

Actually, people have been complaining about 'button lag' on Toshiba PDAs ever since the E-300 was released.

arnage2
01-09-2004, 09:57 PM
can anybody tell my if they have experienced this problem. If this is a problem with all toshiba's e80x's, then i will get an ipaq 5555.

Falstaff
01-09-2004, 11:05 PM
There is a slight lag. You should go to www.pdabuyersguide.com and read the review. Actually, you should read the reviews for both devices.