View Full Version : Okay first CAB file.

PDANEWBIE
01-08-2004, 01:28 AM
Well first off let me tlel you my setup. I have an HP 2215 ipaq with 512 sd card and a CF 2.4 gig card as well.

Let me tell you my reasoning behind writing this as I am trying to find out a way to make this work correctly. I am trying to conserve PDA main meory and have been installing most of my programs on the 2.4 gig cf.

I have come across a couple of programs that are .cab files instead of EXE installs. When I have run the EXE installs in the past it asks me where it should install (CF or Main memory). All is great right? Well not so if I run the cab file -

First I did learn you can't run the cab from a PC.... The hard way. Then I also learned when you run the cab file on either main memory or the cf card after installation the cab disappears (okay so I had to go back out and download the item again).

HOW in the heck do you get a cab file to install anywhere other than main memory???? So far ALL of the cab files I have come across have installed themselves into main meory and I would like to remove them and install them in my CF card instead but nowhere does it allow me in the cab to specifiy where it installs.

Please note I have tried running the cab from all different locations and in the CF card and main memory and from SD.

Anyone who can help me with installing a cab in an alternate location from main memory I would have to give you great kudos.

Ripper014
01-08-2004, 01:54 AM
There is a program that is called cabinstall, I have not used it but it should solve your problem.. I think it allows you to choose where you want it to install. Its freeware from what I remember....

http://www.pocketpcfreewares.com/index.php?soft=524

PDANEWBIE
01-08-2004, 03:00 AM
Exactly what Iwas looking for and WHOA its free AND it won't delete my cabs so I don't have to worry about "backing them up" I can just keep a cab directory if I want.

Thanks this did the trick nicely.

gsim
01-11-2004, 10:26 AM
Am novice in pda tech stuff. Please explain what are CAB files? I read somewhere that with cab files, you can save the files in your storage files and can reinstall them into ppc if the ppc is hard resetted. However, with normal exe files, you have to have a pc and load via activesync. Is this correct?
And can I have a step by step instructn how to install cab files?

Thks.

Ripper014
01-11-2004, 08:26 PM
Cab files are self-installing... if you want to load it to your PDA... you can simply copy the cab file to your My Documents Folder... and then double click (tap) on it to execute the installer.

If you want to be able to control where the cab installs itself.. (IE Storage Card) then you need a program such as CabInstaller as mentioned above. Well its the easiest way to do it.

Mr_Know
01-11-2004, 09:21 PM
Well first off let me tlel you my setup. I have an HP 2215 ipaq with 512 sd card and a CF 2.4 gig card as well.

Let me tell you my reasoning behind writing this as I am trying to find out a way to make this work correctly. I am trying to conserve PDA main meory and have been installing most of my programs on the 2.4 gig cf.

I have come across a couple of programs that are .cab files instead of EXE installs. When I have run the EXE installs in the past it asks me where it should install (CF or Main memory). All is great right? Well not so if I run the cab file -

First I did learn you can't run the cab from a PC.... The hard way. Then I also learned when you run the cab file on either main memory or the cf card after installation the cab disappears (okay so I had to go back out and download the item again).

HOW in the heck do you get a cab file to install anywhere other than main memory???? So far ALL of the cab files I have come across have installed themselves into main meory and I would like to remove them and install them in my CF card instead but nowhere does it allow me in the cab to specifiy where it installs.

Please note I have tried running the cab from all different locations and in the CF card and main memory and from SD.

Anyone who can help me with installing a cab in an alternate location from main memory I would have to give you great kudos.

Hi

You can Install a *.cap file with your "ActivSync Manager" from Windows Desktop!

Go .."Start/Run/ ...(The Command Line Option - not the cmd Window), Sorry i'm German ...and in my Sytem it call "Ausführen" ...! I dont know for now the english translation...."But im sure you know what i mean!"

And then type in like this = C:\ActiveSync\CeAppMgr.exe -"C:\ActiveSync\note\pnotepad.ppcarm.CAB"

The Quotes must be set in the second string!

Hope that help!
And when you "uncheck" in the Manager the Option "Install in Main Memory" you able to choose any storeage card!