View Full Version : MS Money and Today Screen ...NOT WORKING ... HELP!!!

llcooljayce
01-07-2004, 05:46 PM
Hey guys, hopefully you can help me out with this dilema. I installed MS Pocket Money on my SD card and synced it with my desktop MS Money .. no problem. Now here's where my problem comes in:

Being a clean freak, I have moved the MS Money file from \Storage Card\Microsoft Money for Pocket PC to \Storage Card\Programs\Microsoft Money for Pocket PC.

Now what I have is this. The today screen shows MS Money with all the updated information from the last sync BUT ... here's where I have the problem:

When I tap on the Today screen ... specifically MS Pocket Money I get the message:

Shortcut Target
Error opening the shortcut or locating the target filename

So my question is, is there any way to remap the Today screen shortcut to find the MS Money executable? Or how else can I fix it besides reinstalling the program?

Cheers,
Jayce

Jeff Rutledge
01-07-2004, 05:55 PM
I don't think you'll be able to do what you're trying. As a general rule, things that display on the Today screen should be installed to main memory. If you had it working before from the SD card, maybe you can just move the directory back to its original location.

If not, you'll likely need to reinstall the app.

JohnnyFlash
01-07-2004, 06:35 PM
You can fix this.

First, hook up to your PC with activesync. Explore to windows/start menu, and delete your current Money shortcut.

Then, Browse to the new location of your Money files (directory). From your PC, right click on the Money executable, and select "create shortcut". It will create the shortcut in the Money directory. It will be called "shortcut to money.exe" or something similar.

Now, right click on the new shortcut, and select "cut". Browse back to your windows/start menu folder, right click, and select "paste". Then, right click on the new shortcut, and erase the "shortcut to" part of ther name. It should now be called "Money". Or, you can rename it to MS Money, or whatever you choose. You can also erase the .exe portion of the name at the end.

Hope this helps. I use this all the time to move and reestablish shortcuts.

llcooljayce
01-07-2004, 06:48 PM
You can fix this.

First, hook up to your PC with activesync. Explore to windows/start menu, and delete your current Money shortcut.

Then, Browse to the new location of your Money files (directory). From your PC, right click on the Money executable, and select "create shortcut". It will create the shortcut in the Money directory. It will be called "shortcut to money.exe" or something similar.

Now, right click on the new shortcut, and select "cut". Browse back to your windows/start menu folder, right click, and select "paste". Then, right click on the new shortcut, and erase the "shortcut to" part of ther name. It should now be called "Money". Or, you can rename it to MS Money, or whatever you choose. You can also erase the .exe portion of the name at the end.

Hope this helps. I use this all the time to move and reestablish shortcuts.

This is fine for shortcuts but will it actually change the ability of the Today screen to function with the application?

Robb Bates
01-07-2004, 07:11 PM
I had this problem when I installed MS Money 2002 on my h2215. You have to go about it a funny way, but one of the steps is creating a shortcut. I was getting the same error you got until I created the shortcut as Windows/Start Menu/Programs/Microsoft Money.lnk

I guess it's hard coded or there is a registry setting but the Today screen utility requires the shortcut the be in that specific location with that specific name.

It may still work with the actual program file on the SD card, but I think you're still going to have to create the shortcut with the location and name as above. You have to call it "Microsoft Money" and not "MS Money" or "Money 2k2".

Hope that helps.

Robb

llcooljayce
01-07-2004, 07:54 PM
I had this problem when I installed MS Money 2002 on my h2215. You have to go about it a funny way, but one of the steps is creating a shortcut. I was getting the same error you got until I created the shortcut as Windows/Start Menu/Programs/Microsoft Money.lnk

I guess it's hard coded or there is a registry setting but the Today screen utility requires the shortcut the be in that specific location with that specific name.

It may still work with the actual program file on the SD card, but I think you're still going to have to create the shortcut with the location and name as above. You have to call it "Microsoft Money" and not "MS Money" or "Money 2k2".

Hope that helps.

Robb

Great job Robb! That solved it! Thank

Jeff Rutledge
01-07-2004, 08:25 PM
Great job Robb! That solved it! Thank

Agreed. Good find Robb!

danesh
02-01-2004, 06:30 AM
Thanks Robb. I was searching for a solution to this problem and came to Pocket PC Thoughts, and found it! :D