View Full Version : Sound on i-mate dead. www.Phones4Devs.com dead too.....

James Beatty
01-07-2004, 08:02 AM
The sound worked fine for about the last month. Now it's not making so much as a beep.

Steven Cedrone
01-07-2004, 01:57 PM
If you use the headphones, do you hear sounds???

Steve

Steven Cedrone
01-07-2004, 04:17 PM
You can try putting in and pulling out the headphones a few times, see if that turns the speaker back on. But it sounds like the switch that turns off the speaker may be broken...

Steve

Birdman
01-07-2004, 11:59 PM
I have had this problem on my early ipaq and on my XDAI. I don't know the technical answer but if you search the forums you will likely find lots of posts. The first 2 times it happened (with the ipaq and the XDA) I was able to send them each back for a warranty repair / swap.

It then happened to me again a month ago or so with my XDA. All would be fine, but then I would remove the headphone jack from the headphones and no sounds would come from the external speaker. I think what is happening is that there is some type of switch which gets activated when you insert a headphone plug into the jack thereby cutting off sound from the external speaker. When you remove the plug, the switch should "release" and the external speaker should be re-activated. Somehow, the "switch" gets stuck and even though your remove the headphone plug, the external speaker is still de-activated because the unit "thinks" the headphone plug is still in the jack.

I solved it this past time by playing a music file (which I could not hear because the external speaker would not work) and while Media Player was running, I inserted and jiggled :oops: the tip of my stylus in the headphone jack until the sound started coming out of the speaker. Worked like a charm.

gratefuled
01-08-2004, 12:48 AM
You should be able to send your iMate to HTC I would think. I would contact them anyway. Have you also posted your problem at Club IMate?
Perhaps Pocket PC Techs could help you. They do a lot of different things with PPC hardware. They are very respected with increasing memory on devices, and should be set up to handle this type of problem I would think.
Site: http://www.pocketpctechs.com/. The downside is that your warranty could be voided with Tech fixing your device, on the other-hand since this is not a hardware upgrade situation, who would be the wiser.
Another post/thread on this site was about the fact that the iMate is a manufacturer warranted product vs. the MDA 2 that Tek N Toys is selling converted to English. I live in the US and I commented on that thread that when you buy a device like this from out of the country there are risks associated with it in this regard. It should be noted that Tek N Toys is not out of business. I feel for you, this is a dilemma. Give Pocket PC Techs a shout, this might be right up their alley.
Ed

drj
01-11-2004, 12:44 AM
I have an Imate too...bought it from www.compume.com

Read your manual. You have a worldwide warranty through HTC. Access it... Its in the manual