View Full Version : Help!!!

Confucian Cougar
01-07-2004, 04:09 AM
I have just purchased an iPaq a little over a week ago. An hour ago, it decided that it will not let my sd card slot filler piece that came with it to lock in place. I tried using a real sd card and it comes out too. Any experience with this on any device, or how to fix it?

Steven Cedrone
01-07-2004, 04:22 AM
You push the card all the way in and it falls out? It is spring loaded, so you have to make sure you push it in until you hear it click...

Steve

P.S.: Please don't post the same question to multiple forums...

Confucian Cougar
01-07-2004, 04:44 AM
well, I push it all the way in and it does not lock into place. It just springs back out. Both the place holder and the actual card. I have removed the place holder several times. Tonight while I was using it I accadentally sprung it out, thus started the problem. Nothing sounds loose or anything, so I just don't know.

Oh, and about posting both places, sorry, the unit is an Ipaq, So I thought fellow users might know if this is a flaw in the style. But it is an SD slot so perhapse someone with another unit might have had a similar problem. Mostly, I am just aggrivated that I am having a problem with my recent 300 purchase.

Since I feel this is a fitting reason, could I re-post to the larger forum, but not just cut and paste? I would like as widespread an audience as possible. I notice my other thread was deleted, so I thought I would ask first.

dhettel
01-07-2004, 04:53 AM
This is probably no help at all. But do you have the cut off side to the left? Generally when I hear of this problem, it is because the card is being inserted backward.

David

Confucian Cougar
01-07-2004, 05:09 AM
well, the cards will only go in one way. It will not insert more than perhapse a quarter of an inch into the port. But just for the record, I did try both ways. The card goes all the way in, it just doesn't stay there,...

dhettel
01-07-2004, 05:28 AM
well that sounds like you have a hardware failure then, less than a week, you might try exchanging it where you purchased it. Otherwise you'll need to call Hp, and figure if it goes out on a Monday, it should be back Friday.

ctmagnus
01-07-2004, 06:45 AM
Is the card loose inside (put it in, turn the iPaq upside down and the card falls out) or squishy (push the card in but it always pops back out)?

Steven Cedrone
01-07-2004, 04:23 PM
BTW, what kind of iPaq is it???

Steve

Confucian Cougar
01-08-2004, 07:08 AM
It is the 1945. I spent about an hour and a half on the phone with HP last night, and they offered to pay to have me ship it back to them for repair, I said thanks but no thanks. I have only had it for a week anna half so Mr Officemax man can just give me a new one. I went in, flashed my reciept and had a brand new one in the box.

Totally hardware failure is what it was deemed. The card was not loose, had no play in it, the part that holds the card in simply was not doing it's job. Well,... problem solved!!!

Confucian Cougar
08-02-2004, 12:33 PM
Ok, so the problem is not solved. Here I am, half a year later, and the new iPaq is doing the same thing!!! I must appologise, because I did not take the time to read 48 pages of posts, but has anyone else had this problem since this happened to me in January!??? This time, when I e-mailed the company, they sent me back what I assume is an auto response telling me that I removed the card wrong from the unit and that it is a non-warranty problem. I responded back and told them not just no, but heck no, this is a manufacturer issue as it is imposible to grasp the top of the SD card when it is engaged in the unit. The top of the card is flush with the top of the unit. A person would have to use a pair of plyers to get it out!!! anyway, any ideas, thoughts or,... anything?

tanalasta
08-03-2004, 11:54 AM
Oh dear...

Firstly, to insert an SD card - it will only go in one way, you push it, gold-contacts side into the device with the tab to the left as someone above has already suggested (hope that's correct - i don't have an IPAQ).

Push it until you hear it 'click' and lock.

To remove an SD card, you do NOT grasp it and forcefully pull it out - to do so will damage the holder. It is designed to sit flush with the device to prevent damage. I'm sure instructions on how to insert/remove the SD card would have come with either the card itself or your IPAQ's manual :roll:

I responded back and told them not just no, but heck no, this is a manufacturer issue as it is imposible to grasp the top of the SD card when it is engaged in the unit. The top of the card is flush with the top of the unit. A person would have to use a pair of plyers to get it out!!! anyway, any ideas, thoughts or,... anything?
To remove an SD card, you push it again and the spring-loaded mechanism will pop it out so that you can easily grasp/remove it.

As it stands, you may be responsible for the damage to the device. Realistically though, take your device back to the place of purchase again and tactfully ask for a new one. It would be prudent not to mention how you may (or may not) be responsible for it.

ctmagnus
08-03-2004, 09:23 PM
I had a similar issue when I got my first device with an SD slot. I looked at the card, it had a little ridge on it almost designed to aid in removal from the device. I looked at the device, it had an indentation either side of the slot almost designed to permit really small fingers in there to grab the ridges on the card and remove it. After a few weeks like this, the card no longer stayed in the slot. I fished around in the slot for a bit with the toothpick from a Swiss army knife, got the spring to pop back into place and the slot worked properly afterwards. (Near the left edgeof the slot there's a smallish spring that pushes on the diagonally-cut corner of the device to allow easy removal of the card.)

My gripe in this situation is that no documention came with the device instructing how to properly remove SD cards.