View Full Version : Overclock a PPC?

rugerx
01-07-2004, 12:11 AM
Just a question, I see that people are overclocking PPC's, some up to 530+ mhz.

Doesnt this pose a heat damage issue? I mean these have no moving parts, no fans, no cooling, isnt this really dangerous :?:

I am not really interested in doing this, since my 4155 runs more than fast enough for my needs. Just curious since I did do some major OC'ing prior to the 1 ghz mark on PC's back in the day. Post 1 ghz it really became a moot point. How fast is fast ehh? Hehe! I did OC my 2 ghz athlon to 2.3 ghz and found no increase in performance in any app or game besides benchmark 3d tests.

Thanks for any input.

Kowalski
01-08-2004, 11:14 AM
there are many differences between PC and PPC proccessors.
first PC proccessors consume much more power than PPC proc. thats why your desktop work about 30-40 degrees. the newer proceessors consume up to 60 watts of energy! damn its a light bulb!
second the xscale proccessors are scalable. this means they can change clock speed while working and 'close' some parts of the cpu when they dont need proccessing power.

answer to you'll question: you only need overclocking when you use NES or an emulator like that because emulation needs soo much clock speeds.