View Full Version : Journalist seeking people to profile for PPC/mobility stories

jcompton
01-06-2004, 05:33 PM
I am a freelance writer working on a pair of mobile technology stories that center around profiles of interesting users. I'm looking for volunteers and hope a few people here may be interested in participating.

The first story, for Laptop Magazine, is themed "A Day In the Life Of Mobility" and will profile multiple individuals, documenting how they use mobile technology throughout their professional and personal day. For this story, I'm looking for someone who has an interesting, multifaceted use for a device (preferably a Pocket PC) as part of their job, whether it is part of the job description or not.

The second story, for BREW Connection, is a bit more specific: I'm looking for avid users of Verizon's Get It Now service, and on top of that, the users need to be from a major metropolitan area. (suburbs are okay, nobody's checking, but 25 miles from city center is a good guide.)

Time is of the essence. If you're interested, please PM or e-mail me a very brief summary of yourself and your PocketPC usage (or Get It Now, as applicable) and I'll get back to you right away.

Kati Compton
01-07-2004, 02:44 AM
This is a legit inquiry, folks.

I know the guy. :D

Air
01-07-2004, 03:09 AM
It's just wee bit too Oprah-esque. :D

Janak Parekh
01-07-2004, 03:33 AM
It's just wee bit too Oprah-esque. :D
:twak: You can say this the day Oprah reports on PDAs. Or anything remotely technical for that matter. ;)

--janak

Kati Compton
01-07-2004, 03:35 AM
I don't think he's looking for a critique of the article he's been assigned, but is instead looking here to find appropriate people to interview. One would think that a site like this MIGHT have a few readers that use PocketPCs for work....

;)

sracer
01-07-2004, 03:36 AM
I'm afraid that my PPC usage is so extreme that no one would believe it. 8O :D

that_kid
01-07-2004, 03:43 AM
I'm afraid that my PPC usage is so extreme that no one would believe it. 8O :D

I'm with you there, hell I do so much with my ppc at work my boss just brought a 2215 based on my recommendations and now everyone I work with want one. When it comes to my daily pocketpc use i'm Sickwidit.

Kati Compton
01-07-2004, 03:44 AM
If you guys are so "tough" (;)), perhaps you should respond to the original poster with a PM!

sracer
01-07-2004, 03:51 AM
...When it comes to my daily pocketpc use i'm Sickwidit.

:lol: You now owe me for a new keyboard... once coffee is sprayed on it, it don't work too well.

But seriously though... I use my iPAQ 2215 as a notebook/laptop replacement when I travel (cross country from Arizona to NY). Equipped with a little travel pouch with 56K modem, WiFi card, extra 256MB CF card (along with a 256MB SD and 256MB CF cards), folding keypboard and battery extender, I can do virtually everything that I need to.

Aside from the typical music (mp3/ogg/wma) listening, and movie viewing (I pack about 3 full-length films on a 256MB CF card), I read a few ebooks, type up some software design notes. I also listen to MIDI music while doing my Bible study.

When I stop over for connecting flights, I'll pop in the WiFi card and surf the net to check email. When I reach my destination, I pop in the modem card, dial in, check email, surf, and chat on AIM.

And that's just the first day. :wink:

Air
01-07-2004, 04:52 AM
I mean what is one suppose to say? my PDA is so advance I can surf the net from the john. lol

(yeah yeah I know, you want some fantastic life story. Like I bring my PDA while climb mt. everest and it saves my life by keep reminding me to breath. I never own a deadtree book anymore and this ebook technology has saved the entire tropical forest. Oh did I tell you because of this PDA, I bond with a super model, and exchange phone number via BT?)

Yeah I know I am a stinker. lol. But really... You know, most of us use top ten download, plus a couple of specialized app. Sometimes the GPS do hicky map cure the chronic lack of direction. ... little entertainment.

It's a gadget ... no larger than life herroism there. :razzing:

<duck from the flying tomato>

Kati Compton
01-07-2004, 06:09 AM
(yeah yeah I know, you want some fantastic life story. Like I bring my PDA while climb mt. everest and it saves my life by keep reminding me to breath.
Only if your job is as a sherpa. If you read the first post, he's asking about PPC work-related use or the use of the GetItNow service.

Thinkingmandavid
01-07-2004, 05:23 PM
I would think that most people on here use their ppc for work. I know I do. I was assuming like everyone else that mine is ready to go in the morning after synching with Outlook. Life sucks without my ppc.

mmm, this guy has compton in his ID, is this guy related to you kati?

king-pong
01-08-2004, 06:13 AM
I'd have to say I use it for both work and play. I'm an independent consultant so traveling is commonplace. I use my ipaq 2215 to manage my traveling schedule, my contact info, itenerarys, invoices, white papers and other documents I frequently edit and use. Like most I also use it for email (almost exclusively now days) and web access.

On the fun side, I listen to music when flying or read a book or play games as well as bible study etc...

My father was a math profesor and was never without his calculator and pocket protector- my PDA is my pocket protector i guess.

ctmagnus
01-08-2004, 06:38 AM
Mostly play, but when I work it's always with me. I keep track of time, etc in Pocket Informant and when I get home I enter it into Quicken and sync it with Pocket Quicken so I always have my invoice info (at least as of yesterday) with me.

I use my ipaq 2215 to manage my... invoices...

What do you do your invoices with?

dazz
01-08-2004, 02:49 PM
I use mine for work all the time but do a lot of reading ebooks as well.

For work I track contacts, projects, contract time, development, media contacts, software codes, expenses, travel agenda and more. I have lists for our software, business ideas, area codes and time zones, conference attendees, competitive products and tons of other things.

I use HanDBase exclusively for all of these. Since I work for DDH Software that would make sense. :D Although, I was using HanDBase long before joining for doing all of the same.

Darren