View Full Version : Can voice commands for Microsoft Voice Command be customized?

townsendtribe
01-06-2004, 03:51 PM
Does anyone know if the voice commands for Microsoft Voice Command be customized to your commands. I have a friend with Cerebral Palsy and is not able to speak in what we would consider understandable.

What I am wondering is if Microsoft Voice Command could be customized to use his commands for launching music or video clips in Media Player. In short, be an augmentative media player control.

If MVC is not the app for this, does anyone know of one that would work?

Lorenzo
01-06-2004, 07:19 PM
I have been using voice command for awhile now and it's ok. You
can launch applicatons such as "open e-mail" or "open programname"
and it's pretty accurate. It will play music files that you say, but most
of the time it seems to get this wrong and opens the wrong thing.

It's a pretty small program for what it can do. It will launch what you
want if you can say it properly or if there's no other program which
is similar. I wish they would off added a feature, which would tell
the time; say every 30 minutes etc.

lorenzo

Jimmy Dodd
01-07-2004, 05:57 PM
I downloaded the 1-day trial of MVC and it works pretty well for what it does. I don't think you can "train" it at all, so it probably wouldn't work for your friend.

Also, it is pretty limited in what it tries to do. It isn't tied into any of the apps as far as I can tell beyond the simplest of command line-like abilities (i.e. "Show Jimmy Dodd" opens the contact app with my entry). It would be really nice if someday we could control the UI from voice commands instead of using the stylus. I don't think we are too far from the ability to do this now with the common controls, but it would take an expanded vocabulary and a way to differentiate between working with the shell and the current app. We'll all have to wait and see what direction (if any) MS takes this.

townsendtribe
01-07-2004, 06:25 PM
I know the technology is available, but the user base may be more limited than what Microsoft may target. I think we will have to look to the Assistive Technology world for a solution to this one... I have checked some of the AT boards, and everyone agrees it would be AWESOME both in the PDA realm and the desktop as well.

All it will take is someone with enough programming knowledge and the desire to see it done. All I can say is it sure would benefit a whole lot of people with disabilities.