View Full Version : 5450, new 2003: Setting up wireless internet

Venturello
01-06-2004, 01:39 PM
Hi all, just upgraded my iPaq 5450 to 2003. ROM is in Spanish, so I am trying to guess the best translation to english of the texts.

I have a wireless access point which I use from all the laptops in my house without a problem, and I am familiar with configuring a PC for wireless access. I don't have DHCP so I must set up every computer's IP, default gateway and DNS's servers manually. I have WEP enabled.

I cannot get it to connect to the WAN. See 2. for an explanation of what I do.

1. First of all, is there a guide online to this, so I can try this first before bothering you guys? (of course I tried google).

2. If not, can you help me? This is what I do to try to connect:

First I open connections -> advanced -> network adapter -> network cards. Here I choose 'My network adapter connects to:' Internet. I choose 'Ipaq WLAN adapter' and setup my IP, subnet mask, gateway and DNS servers. I click Ok once and go back to 'wireless'. I click on my ESSID (which I see correctly) to go to its options. I choose 'connects to:' Internet and under 'Autentication', enable WEP and enter my password and correct key index. I click Ok to go back to the wireless networks and I see it is connected. Good! Click Ok to go back to the main connections screen, 'advanced' tab.

Tap 'Select Networks' and here is where it gets confusing. I can choose which network the programs that want connection to internet will use, and which network the programs that want connection to private lan will use. On the drop down lists I see these two options: 'Work Network' and 'ISP'. I try 'Work Network' for both (I dont have an ISP), click ok, ok and try internet explorer. Try a website... tells me at once 'page cannot be found'. I don't see the balloon saying it is connecting as I think I should see. If under 'Select Networks' I click to add a new network, it lets me choose a modem, which I dont want.

So... any suggestions on how I can try to get this to work?

Windows 2003 is very nice, very fast as I think it should be given the CPU this little thing has, and I am having fun programming for it, but having the wireless part work is a most for what I am trying to do. The thing I like the most is having the compact framework built in and how much better pocket IE is, besides how much more responsive the whole thing is.

Thanks for any ideas, happy new year,

Juan Miguel Venturello

pd. I have updated both the WLAN firmware and driver to the latest version from HP...

Bladefree21
01-06-2004, 06:22 PM
Hi all, just upgraded my iPaq 5450 to 2003. ROM is in Spanish, so I am trying to guess the best translation to english of the texts.

I have a wireless access point which I use from all the laptops in my house without a problem, and I am familiar with configuring a PC for wireless access. I don't have DHCP so I must set up every computer's IP, default gateway and DNS's servers manually. I have WEP enabled.

I cannot get it to connect to the WAN. See 2. for an explanation of what I do.

1. First of all, is there a guide online to this, so I can try this first before bothering you guys? (of course I tried google).

2. If not, can you help me? This is what I do to try to connect:

First I open connections -> advanced -> network adapter -> network cards. Here I choose 'My network adapter connects to:' Internet. I choose 'Ipaq WLAN adapter' and setup my IP, subnet mask, gateway and DNS servers. I click Ok once and go back to 'wireless'. I click on my ESSID (which I see correctly) to go to its options. I choose 'connects to:' Internet and under 'Autentication', enable WEP and enter my password and correct key index. I click Ok to go back to the wireless networks and I see it is connected. Good! Click Ok to go back to the main connections screen, 'advanced' tab.

It looks like you are very close to me! I would turn off WEP for the time being (if possible), until your iPAQ is on WAN. I'm guessing you have a router with DHCP disabled or multiple IP's from your ISP? Since you "must set up every computer's IP".

Hang on, "(I dont have an ISP)" but you want to connect to "get it to connect to the WAN". Do you have a dedicated line? If you intended to say LAN, Resco File Explorer is great for browsing!

Venturello
01-07-2004, 06:30 PM
Thanks for your reply. My access point is connected to a router which connects me to the Internet through DSL, that is my gateway to the internet. And yes, DHCP is disabled.

So, any ideas why this is not working? I cannot get on the internet!

When I get home I am going to try with Resco and see if I can browse shared folders on the local lan at least. Would I be able to ping my ipaq's IP from my desktop?

Thanks, any other suggestions are appreciated.

Juan Miguel Venturello

Bladefree21
01-08-2004, 03:36 AM
Thanks for your reply. My access point is connected to a router which connects me to the Internet through DSL, that is my gateway to the internet. And yes, DHCP is disabled.

So, any ideas why this is not working? I cannot get on the internet!

When I get home I am going to try with Resco and see if I can browse shared folders on the local lan at least. Would I be able to ping my ipaq's IP from my desktop?

Thanks, any other suggestions are appreciated.

Juan Miguel Venturello

Not a bad idea. From another post vincenzosi noted "I would like to be able to use it, but of course, there's a glitch in getting the WiFi working (wouldn't be the first time; there's a flood of people on the forums in various places who have had no luck getting an H555 to connect to their WiFi router)..." Your problem may possibly be similar.

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22653

You sound pretty knowledgable to me and in the past :silly: (and still do occationally) I have gone really deep into something skipping a few simple key identifiers.

If after pinging your ipaq's IP and it does not work...

On the supposition your iPAQ does not have much on it (yet) and is nearly new with the ROM update, I would recommend the KISS acronym. Write down the settings of IP's, etc. and re-enable DHCP. See if the iPAQ picks up one :robot:. Knowing that your other computers will be temporarly down.