View Full Version : Which wallet?

ctmagnus
01-06-2004, 01:56 AM
I currently use FlexWallet to manage passwords, cellphone info, etc but am considering switching to something else. I'm curious to know what other people use and why, if there is a reason.

Personally, I like the functionality of eWallet 3.1 and the looks of Flexwallet.

Janak Parekh
01-06-2004, 02:29 AM
I use eWallet, because I've been continually upgrading from the original version that came with my 3650. From what I've read, the functionality of the three are so close I'm not sure it's worth switching. ;) Is there something specific you're looking for?

--janak

Vincent M Ferrari
01-06-2004, 03:06 AM
I don't know if its better, or if I'm just really used to how it works, but I really like Flexwallet. It's the first wallet software I've tried and liked enough to buy...

Anyway, I vote for Flexwallet... It does quite a bit and the price is good...

Kati Compton
01-06-2004, 03:08 AM
I like FlexWallet because the desktop companion comes with it.

Jeff Rutledge
01-06-2004, 03:09 AM
I had eWallet with my original iPAQ (3650). I now use FlexWallet and am happy with it. Any reason you're thinking of the switch?

baker
01-06-2004, 03:57 AM
Use FlexWallet as it had the desktop with it.

Glohamar
01-06-2004, 04:09 AM
I use FlexWallet. I like the desktop version. Makes for quick entry of info.
You might also check out this thread for a good comparison of the 3 programs.
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16729

Dave

ctmagnus
01-06-2004, 06:21 AM
To the few that asked, the reason I'm considering switching is because I really do not like FlexWallet's use of templates. But at this point I'm still only considering switching to another program, mostly because I'd have to reenter everything rather than simply exporting from one and importing into the other. eWallet is slightly ahead of CodeWallet in my preferences right now due to its flexibility with field names and behind both the other two due to it's layout (the grid, specifically). And you have to turn the border, etc off for every single card if you don't want it showing; there's no master setting to turn it off for all cards.

You might also check out this thread for a good comparison of the 3 programs.
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16729

Thanks! I had forgotten about that one and instead based my initial opinions on Jenneth's review.

Then I tried CodeWallet and eWallet on my iPaq 3670 but eWallet was having serious issue installing and uninstalling. It's installer would always crash immediately before the Install.ini (or whatever) for the PPC version got written to disk so I had to keep trying in order to be able to uninstall the install files for the Pocket PC version. Then ActiveSync kept prompting me with the Add/Remove Programs dialog everytime I synced (even my 5550) after I thought I had all traces of the PPC version off of the desktop. I had grabbed the cab file and tried installing it that way but AS kept giving me the Add/Remove Programs window anyways, even thouigh it only existed on the PPC end at that point. So I finally got it completely off of the 3670 and the desktop, then searched the registry and deleted anything referring to Ilium (except for ListPro) and .wlt. And now I have no problems syncing my 5550, which has never even seen hide nor hair of eWallet. If I eventually go with eWallet, it'll be used for a very long time. ;)

Edit: and the main reason I use FlexWallet is because it was ~$4 at the time (after the discount here and a few others). But I can't see not using a wallet-type program after having used it for as long as I have.

Iznot Gold
01-06-2004, 09:06 AM
I'm using Code Wallet. It meets my needs but I haven't tried the others. Code Wallet hasn't had an upgrade for some time now & I'm still hoping that at some future date it will have a degree of integration with AF - if only a link to access it from AF.
Regards
David

iant54
01-06-2004, 10:43 AM
I started using Code Wallet on my Jornada 568, as it came free. I picked up the Desktop portion from a PDA magazine covermount (full version), so was able to synch. Since I moved to using iPAQs (3970 and 5550), I got Applian's Virtual Wallet when I bought their "Super Incredible Bundle", but was slow to reinput the data from Code Wallet (couldn't install it to the 3970 as the Jornada CD-ROM prevented it). Then I won a copy of Code Wallet for the PPC!

draiken
01-06-2004, 04:01 PM
I never used Wallet software until I got my Jornada 548, it came with Code Wallet, the full version on the CD, snd soon I was hooked.
Then the 568 came, and finally the 2215, I was soon to find that the Jornada version of the software was hard coded to Jornada Devices, so I couldn't use it in my new iPAQ, I contacted Developer One, and they said I had to upgrade my version for it to work on WM2003, and since mine was a Jornada version I had to pay full-price.

I checked again the CD that came with my 2215 and found e-wallet, I LOVE IT, it took a few weeks to get used to it and to forget my Code-Wallet tricks, but now I prefer e-Wallet, Bought the full version and the desktop counterpart. I hightly recomend it

petvas
01-06-2004, 04:35 PM
I am a fan of codewalletpro... I have it on my pocket-pc and on my smartphone...
I also remember not a long time a go, a comparative review by Doug... I suggest you have a look and decide for yourselves....