View Full Version : scared to sync on two computers...any pointers?

bandpass
01-05-2004, 10:21 PM
With all of the problems people report with activesync, i'm a little timid to set it up on a second computer. I have it working fine on my home computer and would like to have the primary sync on my home computer, but also be able to sync at work as well. I'm not interested in actually syncing outlook on the second computer, just to have access through activesync to files on my work computer and maybe to update avantgo or send emails. is this even possible?

c38b2
01-05-2004, 10:47 PM
Absolutely! When you install ActiveSync on the second computer, just uncheck the Outlook syncing boxes. When you connect your PPC, it will ask whether you want this computer to be your primary computer. Say no and you're golden! 8)

bandpass
01-05-2004, 11:11 PM
fantastic. thanks for the quick reply.

eustts
01-05-2004, 11:26 PM
Check out sync manager from www.kelbran.com

I currently use this to sync at work and home...

Iznot Gold
01-06-2004, 09:21 AM
I've setup ActiveSync as seconadry partnership with several work PCs and had (amazingly) had no problems with activsync on a two pc set up,inc sync'ing Outlook. The only probs I've encountered have been to do with local IT admin rights at work. Go for it!
Regards
David

jmkeuning
01-06-2004, 09:48 PM
do it, i've had no problems in two years

bandpass
01-07-2004, 06:21 PM
Got it set up and it's working great. *violently knocking on wood!*

Robb Bates
01-07-2004, 06:32 PM
Just make sure you set up the one that you want to sync your inbox with first. Otherwise it gives you a bit of hassle.

Robb

ale_ers
02-17-2004, 06:06 PM
any suggestions on Catagory syncing? Such as, I wanted to sync only "personal" contacts on one computer and all on the other. The only problem is...it doesn't seem to work. First you have to sync everything. Then, I told it to sync only personal catagories on my home computer, then deleted all of the other files and sure enough it deleted them off my PPC. (I easily got them back, but...)

So I don't know how I could catagory sync at all.

famousdavis
02-17-2004, 06:09 PM
bandpass,

Thanks muchly for opening this thread! Until I read it, I never gave a thought to sync'ing to my work PC. This could be very useful for me! And thanks to everyone else who contributed with advice! :clap:

gsim
02-17-2004, 08:38 PM
I seem to have heaps of problems- mostly due to fact I have no clue what I'm really wrong.

I sync with both home and work PCs. But each time I sync, it updates my Calendar and results in numerous repeat entries. This happens with both Home and Office PC.
Also, I have actually checked box that says "sync only last 2 weeks and all future entries" but it seems to sync the entire calendar.

What am I doing wrong?

juni
02-17-2004, 09:21 PM
I sync my home computer and work computer and it works fine - that is, until you have to do a hard reset - then you are in deep trouble. Basicly I ended up with double contacts and double appointments. :(

gsim
02-17-2004, 10:21 PM
I havne't had to do a hard reset but many soft resets- not sure if that's the cause. But how did you resolve the problem after the hard reset?