View Full Version : Best Backup Utility: ActiveSync or Sprite Pocket Backup?

Explorer
01-05-2004, 05:43 AM
There's a 30day trial of Sprite Pocket Backup on my 1935 companion CD. Just wondering why I would need it since ActiveSync already has a Backup/Restore tool. I like the option to automaticaly backup every time you sync.

Does ActiveSync Backup EVERYTHING ?...even the stuff in RAM ?

Are there any additional benefits/features to the Sprite Pocket Backup?

Thanks[/i]

Sven Johannsen
01-05-2004, 06:04 AM
ActiveSync backup is Sloooooow and it doesn't get exceptional reviews, though I have used it. It generally only backs up the stuff in RAM, since that is all you loose in the normal data loss scenario. It typically hedges against battery drain resulting in hard reset.

I use Sprite Backup because it backs up to a memory card that is with me. In fact it is always in the device. It backs up creating an executable file that you run to restore. That has been a life saver many times. There are options about when, and how often to backup, and how much space to use, or how many backups to keep. With my not even thinking about it, my backup is no older than 5AM this morning. I set it and forget it...till I need it.

I was out of the country for two weeks, didn't ActiveSync once during that time, but had a fresh backup everyday (and two days before, since I save three). Had I had an unfortunate power loss, I'd have been back in business in minutes.

tanalasta
01-05-2004, 06:24 AM
Well to start with activesync backup is free compared to Sprite's pocketbackup. That's about the only good thing about it though.

Whilst it is satisfactory if you only have PIM data on your pocketpc the moment you have more than a couple of MBS of data (e.g. programs) you'll notice how slow it is. 30 seconds compared to an hour is a LOT of time. ;) Restores are just as slow.

The other thing is I'm not sure activesync backs up all your registry settings. I've noticed that I have to re-register various programs after an activesync restore whilst this is not the case with sprite's program.

Not sure if the IPAQ you're using comes with a toned down version of Sprite's backup built in though :P

Possum48
01-05-2004, 06:24 AM
it saved me more than once when I had my e310. I have the program installed on my CF card that I use only for my backup and Laridian Bible Program.

I don't use the feature that creates an executible file for restore but because I have the program on the card I can always start the program using PIE or now that I have a 2215 I can use the built-in basic version of Pocket Backup that is in the 2215's ROM.

Pocket Backup is fast and is very dependable. Buy it, and do it now. I even suggest you buy the Professional version because you can with pretty good speed backup your PDA to your desktop.

Explorer
01-05-2004, 06:29 AM
Thank you Sven, that was a very articulate answer.

I think the most compelling reason you gave in support of Sprite is for those times when you are away from your PC and unable to Sync for extended periods of time. Thats reason enough to have the Sprite Backup.

Does Sprite include any kind of encryption or password protection for your backup files on the memory card ?...I'd be concerned about that card falling into the wrong hands.

I know that a program like eWallet could handle alot of the more typicaly sensitive data but what about word files with private journal entries and other personal stuff that could be accessed by a snooping associate?

Explorer
01-05-2004, 06:37 AM
Ok, thanks to all. I'm SOLD! -- Downloading Sprite when my replacement 1935 arrives (broke the first one). Though I hope ActiveSync does'nt dissapoint me when I restore to the new device.

tanalasta
01-05-2004, 08:53 AM
Yes. Sprite's backup has encryption as well as compression options. The other beautiful part about it is that you can make self-executable restore files on your SD card.

Meaning if you're out of the house and you have to hard-reset your device all you have to do is open file explorer, tap on your restore file and 2 minutes later all you have to do is reset the clock :) If you do buy the program - check for any discount codes running at the moment first! :D

wocket
01-05-2004, 09:47 AM
Talk about being thankful for pocket backup. With all the partying I was doing over Christmas I did'nt charge my 2210. So i'm starting back to work this morning with one dead pocket pc.

Within a couple of seconds I am more or less back up and running great stuff.

hoffm11
01-05-2004, 01:50 PM
Has anyone used the Proporta Backup SD card? I actually won one and awaiting its arrival. I also have Pocket Backup so I am trying to decide which one to use.