View Full Version : These days how is anyone able to choose the best Pocket PC from a

Macguy59
01-05-2004, 12:26 AM
retailer like Best Buy or Circuit City when the quality of the units (Same model) vary so widely. I went to BB with the intent of buying an iPaq 1945. The display model had a really bad looking display on it. Slightly fuzzy and the yellowish tint was VERY BAD. Next to it was a Toshiba E405 that had a gorgeous display and seemed much faster then the 1945. Now I have a dilemma. I had a hard time believing the 1945 was supposed to look like that so I trundle over to Circuit City. Here I get the opposite. The 1945 display looks perfect and seem very quick. The E405 was slightly slower but the display had a blueish tint to it. AARRGGHHH. Could someone that has experience with these units tell me what is supposed to be the norm for them :evil: Thanks

Vulcan
01-05-2004, 01:52 AM
The state of PPC in retail displays is sad....Most of the devices I have seen have been physically damaged through rough handling or just plain vandalism. I think the best way is to find somebody that has the model you are considering and spend 15 minutes with them using the device.....I have found that most PPC users love to show off their devices.

Vincent M Ferrari
01-05-2004, 02:00 AM
I happened in to the Best Buy on Central Avenue in Yonkers right before Christmas (what can I say, everyone has a last minute gift for someone to get :roll:).

The display for the Pocket PC's was the best I had ever seen it. All of them were functional, charged, clean, and complete. I don't know who cracked the whip, but someone must've said something because historically that display is a horror show of broken, non-functioning, password protected units.

I do think Microsoft needs to establish some sort of secret shopper program for its units, because truthfully you rarely see the Palm units in that kind of shape. I would be interested to know what proportion of people who buy pocket pc's don't buy them in stores for exactly that reason...

Badandy
01-05-2004, 02:23 AM
I think it is all those POS lovers who are vadalizing the Pocket PC's :devilboy: