View Full Version : Bluetooth newbie question...

Rotendo
01-04-2004, 08:09 AM
Alright...well here I am a PPC newbie trying to get his PPC working on the internet via Bluetooth.

Today I picked up the Belkin F8T001 (Version 2) BlueTooth Adapter for my pc, I just got an iPaq 2215 last Monday. Anyways so I get home, I followed the Belkin ICS guide on their site. When I get everything done it sits at "Dialing:Connect...", So I've been playing with it all day to no avail, I also checked out Peppe's stuff with no success. Anyways any help here I would be much greatful. I am running Windows XP Home, I have the 1.4.2.10 Belkin Bluetooth drivers installed, and my net connection is behind a router, I do have a firewall but I've disabled it while working on this. Again, I'd be thankful for any help you can give me or sites you can refer me to. If there is anything else you need to know just let me know :?.

dhettel
01-04-2004, 10:00 AM
You might want to take a look at the Bluetooth Guides at the Geekzone. http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=449 Sounds like you are setting up a bluetooth phone configuration, rather than trying a bluetooth LAN connection, with ICS enabled.

If you are trying to set up a LAN connection and you are seing this then their is a problem with how you have ICS setup.

David

Rotendo
01-04-2004, 05:25 PM
I'm thinking about picking up another NIC, (I have an abit nf7-s nforce 2 mobo using onboard lan) in my lan options on this NIC there is no ICS options, just firewall... I am updating drivers right now... going to see if that helps.

Mark_Venture
01-04-2004, 06:29 PM
I'm thinking about picking up another NIC, (I have an abit nf7-s nforce 2 mobo using onboard lan) in my lan options on this NIC there is no ICS options, just firewall... I am updating drivers right now... going to see if that helps.Are you saying that the only reason you're thinking of getting another NIC is because your current one does not have the option for ICS??

Keep in mind, the computer must have two network connections present in order to have the ICS option.

For instance...

My Laptop (thinkpad T23) has a built in Wired NIC. It does not have ICS listed for the NIC. However, I've added a wireless (802.11g) NIC, and now I have ICS listed for both the wired and wireless NICs. Take out the wireless card, and the ICS Option goes away from the wired NIC..

With the wireless card out, when I added a USB Bluetooth dongle to the laptop, and configured it for network access, I again get the ICS option on the NIC.

So take a look in properties of My Network Places, do you see both your NIC and the Bluetooth Lan listed under Lan or High-Speed Internet?

If not, that could be why you don't see the ICS option.

freitasm
01-04-2004, 06:44 PM
I'm thinking about picking up another NIC, (I have an abit nf7-s nforce 2 mobo using onboard lan) in my lan options on this NIC there is no ICS options, just firewall... I am updating drivers right now... going to see if that helps.

This is the same motherboard I have and used to write all the Bluetooth Guides. You should be right.

ICS is installed by default on Windows 2000 and XP, unless you did not install some network feature. On XP you can use Bridge between NICs if needed and it'll work the same. You have to bridge the NIC and the Bluetooth virtual NIC with the same address, though.

Rotendo
01-04-2004, 07:38 PM
Bluetooth is not listed anywhere in network connections (or places). I've tried different versions of bluetooth drivers also. I have all Windows XP network components installed, this was one of the first things I checked. I'll continue to play around like I have been for a day and a half lol.

EDIT: Checking in hardware it does list Bluetooth LAN Access Driver but no where in networking is it listed.

Mark_Venture
01-04-2004, 09:00 PM
Bluetooth is not listed anywhere in network connections (or places). I've tried different versions of bluetooth drivers also. ...

EDIT: Checking in hardware it does list Bluetooth LAN Access Driver but no where in networking is it listed.Ok, I'm kind of new to bluetooth, so hope this helps to fix that...

right-click the Bluetooth icon in the system tray and select Advanced Configuration. Click the Local Service Tab. Either highlight Network Access and click the properties button, OR double click on Network Access. Is the check box for "Startup Automatically" checked? If no, check it. Under "Select the type of service...." set it to "Allow other devices to acces the Internet/LAN via this computer".

There is also a "Configure Network Adapter" button there. Click it. It should bring up properties of Bluetooth Network Adapter. You should be able to check protocols listed there.

Now, close all that down. This time, if you right click on My Network Places and choose Properties, you should see.. Bluetooth Network listed.
That is how I have mine setup.

Rotendo
01-04-2004, 09:02 PM
I've already done all of that and its still not listed, I've been working almost 2 days straight on this... lmao

freitasm
01-04-2004, 09:55 PM
I've already done all of that and its still not listed, I've been working almost 2 days straight on this... lmao

When you right-click My Network Places and select properties you should have a list of adapters. It is not there then?

In this case I'd say you have a corrupted profile information on your registry. Try the following:

- create a new user with Administrator rights

Always using the new user from now on:

- remove the Bluetooth software
- reboot
- install the software again
- reboot

Try it.

If it works it's a Windows problem with your user, but you can continue using it from now. Let us know how it goes.

Rotendo
01-04-2004, 11:14 PM
Nope. I guess this thing hates me... *throws out window*... I don't want to cause too much trouble... Maybe I'll try reinstalling windows... This should work on home right? Whatever... :| :grumble:

I already uninstalled and reinstalled all my net drivers and re-set the connections up also, so I guess I'll just keep playing and hopefully run into something.

EDIT: I just tried installing it on my other Home XP machine and it did not list it either...lol...try returning it for a different one maybe? I have no idea...

jeffmd
01-05-2004, 05:37 PM
make sure you have the bluetooth browser software running on the pc. Its the one which lets you detect and trust bluetooth devices, you need this running when you want to access your bt devices, you cant just detect, hit trust, and close it.

huskins
01-06-2004, 05:18 AM
Check in your network connections on the pc and see if you have a Local Area Connection subtitled "Bluetooth LAN Access Server Adapter" or similar. Also if you have a network bridge installed in the network connections you will be in business. Do the following:
DBL click on the network bridge adapter.
Click on properties.
Ensure that the LAN adapter which is subtitled "Bluetooth LAN Access Server Adapter" or similar is checked.
All of the Network adapters listed which are checked should be able to access the internet.
Just a thought... :D