View Full Version : Perfect PPC

Falstaff
01-04-2004, 06:42 AM
I was thinking about my ideal device and decided to post here to see what others think the perfect PPC is (realistically, not a dream) in the next year or so.

Mine is simply a toshiba e805 with bluetooth and running PPC2004 with native VGA support, with no built-in keyboard and a design like the 2215, 4150, or e805. I'd like for it to have a fuel cell, but that will have to wait for 3 or 4 years unfourtunately.

Kati Compton
01-04-2004, 07:38 AM
PPC, little wider than UX-50 form factor, clamshell where screen can rotate around so screen is showing while closed. CF/SD/WiFi/Bluetooth, VGA, orientation change-able, 4" screen with very little "extra" casing bordering it, which should determine the overall size. Need to have Nav button too.

Mitchybums
01-04-2004, 06:54 PM
A Pocket PC with enough raw power to actualy play pretty much anything.
Maybe centrino based (including wifi), ati radeon class video on board, landscape orientation, bigger resolution etc etc.
Basicaly a highend tablet pc in pocket pc format.
More memory, and the still to come wireless harddisk from Intel for storage.
If technology will advance, maybe a holographic display instead of a lcd

Edit :

A decent controller function on it. Not just the simple joypad, but something decent. maybe a USB connection on a ppc for expansion

Godsongz
01-04-2004, 06:56 PM
Falstaff, whats PPC2004? Is there going to be one?

Falstaff
01-04-2004, 09:38 PM
Falstaff, whats PPC2004? Is there going to be one?
I don't know what the next version of the OS will be called so I just used PPC2004. There was a news piece on this site (I believe) that said MS's next PPC OS would have full native support for VGA resolution. That is what I'm waiting for before I buy a VGA device.

Air
01-04-2004, 10:28 PM
Okay, I'll chime in.

here is my problem with current PPC. Why would I want to buy the enxt PPC? I mean how many more Pocket informant or battery pack can I instal? Big deal about 400 to 450mhz, or 64 to 128MB. That is only a minor improvement.

Now consider how almost all of us left CF or SD in the slot, or keep swapping them like a mad man for multimedia purposes.

See the problem here? We don't have enough memory space after trying to go beyond the usual apps. .mp3, .mpeg etc gobble up several hundreds MB like nothing. going from 64MB RAM to 128 MB ram is like moving to a bigger mobile home. It's nicer, but still a mobile home.

I want at least 1GB internal storage. Only than I can start enjoying PDA as a functional multimedia device. (2-3hrs of music, 1-2 movies, plus storing my apps and e-book)

.........ANY PPC OEM hear this??? We need more big space NOW.....and I don't want to use my CF slot. I need that for my other goodies.

Falstaff
01-05-2004, 01:34 AM
With the stamp sized microdrives, 1GB+ of internal memory may soon be a reality. But before that happens, certain things must be overcome. The sound factor of the drive whirring, the power consumption, buffering, among others. With the drives built-in, the sound issue may die and in a few years, fuel cells should remove the problems of power consumption. In 3 or 4 years the whole market will be completely different, I can't wait...

Vulcan
01-05-2004, 01:44 AM
If you look at not only the computer industry but the entire electronic industry things have always gotten better/smaller/cheaper/faster.....The feature is bright!

Mitch D
01-05-2004, 02:08 AM
PPC, little wider than UX-50 form factor, clamshell where screen can rotate around so screen is showing while closed. CF/SD/WiFi/Bluetooth, VGA, orientation change-able, 4" screen with very little "extra" casing bordering it, which should determine the overall size. Need to have Nav button too.

I second Kati's idea! :rock on dude!:

rugerx
01-05-2004, 02:58 AM
I currently use my default 41xx 64 MB plus a 128 MB SD card.
I can totally see the need for more memory on the fly.

I will say that I install most apps on the memory card, and they work great. I play pocket EverQuest. It is installed completely on the SD card.
Works great.

I read on brighthand that a 1 GB SD card is now out, that is wonderful!

I will wait it out until it is cheaper to buy. If a 1 GB card is out now, a 2 GB card is soon to follow. That will be fantastic.

Badandy
01-05-2004, 03:21 AM
I have a very simple wishlist

-I would want to see an Ipaq 4155 with

-256 mb internal memory
-40 mb file store (flash)
-VGA screen

I would be in heaven

Jeff Rutledge
01-05-2004, 03:41 AM
I have a very simple wishlist

-I would want to see an Ipaq 4155 with

-256 mb internal memory
-40 mb file store (flash)
-VGA screen

I would be in heaven

If this device had a brother with a GSM phone running Phone Edition, then I'd join you in heaven. 8)

Falstaff
01-05-2004, 05:02 AM
I read on brighthand that a 1 GB SD card is now out, that is wonderful!

I will wait it out until it is cheaper to buy. If a 1 GB card is out now, a 2 GB card is soon to follow. That will be fantastic.

Can you please link to this? I checked Brighthand and couldn't see anything about this, there was a thread in this forum about 1gb SD cards, they seem to be delayed, though SanDisk is expected in early 2004. With a 1gb of flash memory the size of an SD card, OEMs could easily fit 1gb+ of flash memory onto a device, which would be even better than a hard drive, especially if that memory was safe, like the NAND on my e755.

PetiteFlower
01-05-2004, 07:07 AM
The Rom and Ram that lives in your PPC is not the same kind of stuff that's in a storage card. The ram especially is more expensive and a totally different animal then plain old flash memory; the ppc uses it as program memory too and a storage card can't do that. It's faster then flash too if I recall. It's not the same as just integrating an SD chip onto the motherboard or something.

Iznot Gold
01-05-2004, 09:09 AM
More memory & speed woud be nice but for me....

Ipaq 4150 with integrated flip screen protector would pretty much do it for me.

Used to own Handspring Silver Edge with metal case a metal flip sreen protector...I gave it to my sister...man I still love that form factor!

Regards
David

Falstaff
01-05-2004, 11:29 PM
The Rom and Ram that lives in your PPC is not the same kind of stuff that's in a storage card. The ram especially is more expensive and a totally different animal then plain old flash memory; the ppc uses it as program memory too and a storage card can't do that. It's faster then flash too if I recall. It's not the same as just integrating an SD chip onto the motherboard or something.

Yes I realize there would still be limitations with the size of RAM to run apps with, but if the manufacturer put a 1gb flash memory card into your device, you could then load many programs on it, maps for GPS, and a ton of other stuff, and still leave your SD and CF slots (my dream device would still have dual slots) open for other things. Right now, I (and many other people) load apps onto an SD or CF card, so if that card was inside of your device, that would be awesome. Even RAM and ROM are getting big, 128mb is a very nice size, and PPCTechs has a 256MB upgrade for some iPaqs(not sure on details) that sounds very promising. With 128mb of RAM and 1gb of internal flash memory, there would almost be no end to the apps you could install/run.