View Full Version : Help with 1935 Data Retrieval

Explorer
01-03-2004, 09:24 PM
Despite beeing ultra careful, I cracked the screen on my ipaq after just 3 months of use. The screen is still 100% viewable, but stylus taps are for the most part ineffective. So now I can't even type in my password to access my data and do some emergency file storage/retrieval before I retire this unit.

Strangely enough it still syncs with my PC without needing to type in a password. Which is fortunate under my circumstances. But whats the point in having password protection if all someone has to do is hook it up to a PC ?...all contacts, notes and calendar are viewable.

However, there is some data in add-on programs that cannot be accessed through ActiveSync, only through the PDA.

I thought about getting a wireless keyboard to by-pass the touch screen but that requires downloading a driver into the ipaq...would'nt that involve some stylus input on the screen? Or could I do the download using just the D-Pad for selecting whatever responses come up ?

New 1935 with PROPORTA HARD CASE on the way!

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Janak Parekh
01-03-2004, 09:42 PM
Just cradle the PDA, and go to My Computer => Mobile Device and back everything up from there. Unless I misunderstand you...

Re ActiveSync not asking your password: it's likely because you saved it on the PC.

--janak

Explorer
01-03-2004, 10:44 PM
Ok, I did this: => My Computer => Mobile Device => My Pocket PC, the data I need to save is located in the the folder called "Databases", however this folder and all the files in it are not manipulateable within windows. All I can do is view "Properties" -- "Cut", "Paste", "Copy" and "Move" are not enabled for this folder.

Is there any other way to save this data?

Thanks.

CardMSG
01-07-2004, 07:38 PM
I'm not sure how to get the 'Database' info off either, but you can do a complete backup of the whole system and save that for when you get your device fixed or replaced.

If you open the Activesync program on your computer and go to TOOLS > BACKUP/RESTORE, you can create a backup file of everything. I've tested it out and it works pretty well. I backed up everthing, did a hard reset to clear everything, then restored the backup and was back exactly as I left it... complete with all the Database files!

In the Backup/Restore options, I checked the 'incramental' option and the option to backup everytime I connect. Also, after you set this option, it's best to disconnect and reconnect the device so it all takes effect. Then, you should see the backup window appear after the unit's done syncing.

Hope this helps.

Explorer
01-08-2004, 05:45 AM
Yep, I figured that one out when I discovered the backup tool in ActiveSync, but I could'nt be sure it backed up EVERYTHING untill I restored to my new replacement 1935 when it arrived...and guess what?...Everything was restored!...Phew!

But now I have a new (less serious) problem: When I first connected the new ipaq to my PC, ActiveSync synced all my PIM data (Calander, Contacts, ect.) But I could'nt restore the backup file, which held all my other data, untill I moved it into the new "Profile" folder that ActiveSync had just created for my new ipaq. So I moved the backup file from the old ipaq Profile folder into the new ipaq Profile folder and and "restored" from there. -- So far so good.

The problem now is that since I did the "restore" ActiveSync now views my new ipaq as a "Guest", and will not Sync my info. How do I get ActiveSync to recognize my new device as a "Partnership" device ?

Pehaps ActiveSync only allows 1 "Partnership" device, and all others are "Guests" ?

Do I have to uninstall/reinstall ActiveSync ?

Thank you for any help.

ctmagnus
01-08-2004, 06:03 AM
With the iPaq uncradled, open ActiveSync and click on File -> Mobile Device. How many entries are there, there? If just one, I would try File -> Delete Partnership, then recradle the iPaq and go through the initial setup phase again. Even if there is more than one partnership, delete them all just to be on the safe side.

CardMSG
01-08-2004, 06:38 PM
I agree, just delete the partnership and setup a new one and everything should be fine. I've gone through similar things since I've gotten mine because I've played with it so much.

If that doesn't work, then I would just uninstall Activesync and make sure to delete the Activesync folder in Windows Explorer too, then reinstall and it should prompt to create a new partnership.

I've had my 1935 for almost a month now and I love it. I just wish there was a better (FREE) way to get TV listings on it. I hate the idea of paying for something I can get free on the web. I just can't believe TV Guide or Zap2it, or even MSN hasn't created a Pocket PC-Friendly TV Listing!

Explorer
01-11-2004, 01:51 AM
Thanks ctmagnus,
your suggestion worked like a charm. Finally, everythings back to normal.

Thanks to all for helping me work through this problem :beer:

ctmagnus
01-11-2004, 02:09 AM
You are most welcome! :ninja: :byebye: