View Full Version : USB Wireless on a Toshiba e330??

super_sexy_sara
01-03-2004, 07:01 AM
Ok, I have one of those usb host dongle thingies that I can plug in usb gadgets and such. I was just wondering if a wireless usb adapter would be compatible with my Toshiba e330? I know there are problems with the lack of drivers and such, so does anyone know where I can find one?

Thanks for your help in advance,
Super Sexy. :wink:

Steve Jordan
01-10-2004, 01:57 PM
From a similar thread:

I've hooked up my cellphone (LG VX4400) via USB to the Toshiba e355. It turns out that the usb cable for the 4400 uses a Prolific serial-to-USB converter chip which has a WinCE USB driver written for it. Essentially, it just turns the PDA's USB port into a serial port with a proprietary connector... which is all I need to get my phone working and connected to Verizon's high-speed (1x) network.

This is the best possibility I've heard yet, but I honestly don't know if the e330 will work here as well as the 355. I haven't been able to uncover any other working info about usb drivers or converters for the e330, and I've been haunting these sites for a while now, myself.

super_sexy_sara
01-10-2004, 07:02 PM
Thanks, but I wasn't talking about a cellphone. I wanted to know if it would work for a wifi usb adapter.

Steve Jordan
01-11-2004, 02:02 PM
When I copied that, it wasn't for the cellphone part, but the adapter part, specifically, the serial-to-USB converter chip. You didn't say how you were planning to hook up the wireless wifi, and if it's through a USB connector attached to the bottom port, you may need something like the converter chip thingie mentioned above.

Since I haven't heard about a driver available to convert the Toshiba's USB port to a standard connection, this is the only other option I've seen yet to connect anything to it via USB.

super_sexy_sara
01-11-2004, 09:23 PM
Ok, I'm not sure if I'm missing something here, so tell me if I am.
My toshiba e330 already has the right hardware specifications and such that allow me to plug in regular usb-type peripherals. I can plug in, for example, my digital camera and copy all the pictures to my pda from there. All I was wondering was if I could, say, plug in a usb wifi adapter and search the internet like that, with another usb wifi adapter plugged into my notebook. Are there any adapters that are compatible with the toshiba e330 in this sense, and if so, where could I find the drivers?

Thank you for your help,
Super.

Mitchybums
01-11-2004, 09:57 PM
I looked into this when I bought my first ppc, a e355.
I ordered the USB dongle from toshiba ($10 at that time as a special)
after ordering I googled around but couldnt find anything about it.
Basicaly you can see if you can use anything else on usb before buying a usb wifi.
Plugin a scanner, bluetooth dongle, whatever, and see what it does.
Maybe it recognises something, and if it recognises it as a scanner or bluetooth something, it might work. I believe that it only works with stuff like keyboards and mice, but Ihavent played with it.
after I browsed around, I decided to just bring it back within the 8day period and got me a HP.
(long story on that too, but I'm happy with my 2215 now with a CF wifi).