View Full Version : ANOTHER Stupid Wireless/Network Question

shawnc
01-03-2004, 03:02 AM
I have spent hours researching this (REALLY, I have) to no avail. It's such a seemingly simple question that I'm almost ashamed to ask. Well, here goes.

Does a home "network" encompass internet AND file/printer sharing or are file/printer sharing and internet sharing two seperate networks.

I have a 802.11 network that allows my desktop, laptop (both w/XP), and Ipaq 4155 all share internet access. My printer is connected to the desktop via USB cable.

My question is do I have everything in place to set up a file/printer sharing network? My current process is to complete an assignment on my laptop, save to my SD card, boot up my desktop, insert sd card, print file.

I see that w/XP appears to make it easy to set up a network. I just can't tell if I have everything in place or need new equipment.

Thanx for any thoughts/suggestions.

Steven Cedrone
01-03-2004, 03:15 AM
You should be O.K. with what you have. Check your properties for your "internet" connection (your NIC's properties)...

See if "File and printer sharing for Microsoft networks" is installed...

Also, just use your laptop to browse your workgroup and connect to the desktop, do you see any printers available???

Steve

jimski
01-03-2004, 08:23 AM
Just set your printer for sharing (assuming File & Print Sharing is installed). My two printers are connected to my desktop and I share them with my laptop, tablet and PPC wirelessly. After connecting the first time, you can print to your shared printer just as easily as a connected printer. The desktop must be powered up (which mine is almost all the time) but I can even print when it is in sleep mode.