View Full Version : CAN-SPAM working

ChrisW
01-02-2004, 01:40 AM
The American CAN-SPAM act went into effect today, I believe. Legislators claim that it's going to help clean our Inboxes. Maybe it's too soon to tell, but has anyone noticed any an overall decrease in spam? If not, have you seen a decrease in those that are clearly fraudulent (as in, having From addresses or other header data that's fake), or don't contain the now-mandatory unsubscribe instructions?

GoldKey
01-02-2004, 03:14 AM
I'd say no change. I just checked my spam filter and it had grabbed 67 messages so far today. Seems about right if not a bit high for the day.

karen
01-02-2004, 05:52 PM
Actually, CAN-SPAM will most likely increase the number of Unsolicted Commercial E-mails you receive, as it now makes sending these legal as long as certain conditions are met (no fraudulent contact info, physical mailing address, etc.

I did a count of all the orgnizations I have a 'relationship' with and came up with about 300. Now each of them can happily send me several e-mails a day without any fear.

That doesn't even count all the orgs that I don't know.

Add to the fact that most malicious spammers will just provide incorrect info, and that this law has no private right to action and I predict a massive increase in spam over last year.

Karen