View Full Version : DVD-.WMV retaining subtitles?

maikii
01-02-2004, 01:34 AM
If I want to make a .wmv file from a DVD (which I own) to watch on my PPC, here is how I do it. (There are probably other ways as well.)

1) Rip the DVD to my hard drive using a program like DVDShrink.

2)That creates a folder with several files, with extensions like .VOB, .IFO, and .BUP. The .VOB files are the main movie files, actually in MPEG format. If I rename the .VOB files to have the extension .MPG instead of .VOB, they will play as .MPG files. So, I rename them to .MPG, then open them in Windows Movie Maker 2 (in Windows XP Pro), put them in the right order for the movie, and create a PPC-formatted .WMV file from that movie.

It works fine in most cases--everything is there--the video, audio, etc.

Except------

If it is a foreign language movie with subtitles---

The subtitles are missing.

If I take the ripped files from DVDShrink and burn them to a backup DVD with Nero or another burning software, the subtitles are there. So they are there in the ripped files on the hard drive. But when I rename a .VOB file to .MPG and play it back on the computer, there are no subtitles. I think the subtitles are in the .VOB file, but do not play back when renamed to .MPG.

Anyone know a way to do this--to convert a DVD with subtitles to a PPC-formatted .wmv file (or any other type of computer video file, which could be imported into WMM), and retain the subtitles?

Bladefree21
01-02-2004, 11:43 PM
Anyone know a way to do this--to convert a DVD with subtitles to a PPC-formatted .wmv file (or any other type of computer video file, which could be imported into WMM), and retain the subtitles?

Davideo has this capability. That is all I use for video transfer now.

Mitchybums
01-03-2004, 09:07 AM
there are also guides to convert dvd's to divx on www.doom9.org
it also explains how to get the subtitles.
then you can use virtualdub to convert the divx you have to a lower bitrate to make it fit. Or when you have the divx with subtitlkes, you can use Media Encoder (Free from microsoft) to convert the divx to a windows media file.
as long as you have the proper codecs to view and hear the movie on your computer, media encoder can convert it for you.

maikii
01-04-2004, 10:08 PM
there are also guides to convert dvd's to divx on www.doom9.org
it also explains how to get the subtitles.
then you can use virtualdub to convert the divx you have to a lower bitrate to make it fit. Or when you have the divx with subtitlkes, you can use Media Encoder (Free from microsoft) to convert the divx to a windows media file.
as long as you have the proper codecs to view and hear the movie on your computer, media encoder can convert it for you.

Yes, I've looked at those guides, and tried some of those programs (DVD2AVI, etc.) , and none of them worked correctly.

Have you had success with any of them?

Mitchybums
01-05-2004, 08:09 PM
I dont use the subtitles, so I have no experience with that.
In Davideo you can enable the subtitles part, so that would work the easiest.

Ripping DVD to DIVX is something I played with in the past, and had decent luck with but nowadays, I just use the effort from others in ripping, and download the divx from a p2p prog if I have the DVD.
Then I use virtuadub to reencode it for my ipaq.