View Full Version : PPC Adventures ( Misadventures? )

Stik
01-01-2004, 05:38 PM
The idea for this thread was formulated after an observation Dave Beauvais made in another thread.
( Would It Be Rude? )

Dave commented...

' Before you turn off your Pocket PC prior to entering the arena, concert hall, airport, or whatever, leave it on the Calculator or monthly Calendar screen. Security screeners who are unfamiliar with Pocket PCs and such will see a simple calculator or calendar if you're asked to turn it on for them, and will probably have no clue what the devices are capable of. '

My adventure started at Milwaukee's John Mitchell Intl. Airport on my way to San Fran for a meeting. I had a connecting flight out of Chicago's O'Hare to reach my final destination. The route back home was the same, but of course, in the reverse order.

In my carry-on luggage I had a mini-cassete recorder and my Jornada 568 ( I LOVE the flip cover! )as business tools.

For whatever reason I was flagged in Milwaukee and Chicago on the way out to do the take off the shoes thing, wand pass over, unbuckle my belt buckle ( ? ) and a carry on bag go thru.

Understandable and just a little :oops: Tight security.

No big problem until my journey back home.

Leaving San Fran, I AGAIN got flagged over. At this point I was like whoa, this is getting tiring! :roll:

As the security lady had me open my bag, she asked, 'Any electronic devices?'

' Yes,' I replied, ' I have a mini-cassete recorder and a PocketPC. '

When I said ' PocketPC ' she looked at me like :confused totally:

' Take them out of your bag please.' she said.

I took the recorder out first, and took it out of its case. She gave it the once over and nodded her approval.

' The other please.' she said.

At her command, I took the PPC out of its carrying case, and in a split moment of mind :devilboy: , I said, ' Would you like to see how this works?' Instantaneously and without waiting for a reply, I flipped open the lid to turn it on.

I swear this security person jumped backwards 3 feet into the arms of the passengers that were behind her.

Fortunately for myself, this lady had a sense of humor. After gaining her composure, she did ask me to show her how it worked and than passed me thru.

There is now one more security person in the world that will NEVER FORGET what a PocketPC is. :mrgreen:

Needless to say, I did regret that quick moment of tomfoolery, wouldn't do it again, and would highly suggest that no one else pull a likewise stunt.

In this day and age, one could get themself either :twak: or worse yet :2gunfire:

End of my PPC Adventure. Any others?

Janak Parekh
01-01-2004, 08:51 PM
Never had anything as complicated as that. About the only thing I had to do once was plug in and turn on a Jaz drive. Of course, we were running late for the plane... ;)

--janak