View Full Version : Difference between Main Memory and Built-In storage

rustyfancy
12-31-2003, 07:11 PM
Hey Everyone,

I'm new to the Pocket PC atmosphere. I recently purchased a Dell Axim x3i, as well as an additional 256 MB SD card. I was wondering how you save files to the SD card?? When I download a file, it asks whether I want to save to "main memory" or "built-in storage." Also, how do you check the memory status of the SD card?? When in "File Explorer," what direcrory is the SD card?? Any information you can give me will be most helpful.

---Matt

tanalasta
01-01-2004, 06:55 AM
Saving files on SD cards depends on what type of files. If you're installing programs, then under the Add/remove programs dialogue untick the "install into default folder" box.

For word files/documents when you click "save-as" you can also choose between storage card/main memory. It is also possible to change the default options so that word/excel files automatically to a storage card.

Understandably the storage card folder in file explorer is named "storage card". I think of it as a seperate folder/hard drive with its own directory structure. To check the memory status you can click start/settings/memory/storage card (similar to how you check device memory) or use an external program like storage tools or sprite's space detective.

Hope that answers your questions!

baker
01-01-2004, 06:59 AM
Go to Start, Settings, System, Memory then Storage Card for memory status. Storage Card in PPC File Explorer should be under My Device, From File, Explore via Active Sync, Double click on My Pocket PC and you should see the Storage Card. Pick Storage on the download when loading a program and it will put what it can on the storage card.

rustyfancy
01-02-2004, 03:35 AM
Thanks for the reply all. Here's my problem though...

I have a Dell Axim x3...with 64 MB RAM. However, I also have a 256 MB SD card. When I try to access this card under "File Explorer," I get an error that says, "Cannot find storage card (or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct..." Moreover, when I try to check the memory status of the storage card, it doesn't show up as 256 MB of free memory. It says I only have 64 MB of storage (the size of my internal RAM). Any solutions ????

--Matt

baker
01-02-2004, 07:01 AM
I'm lost then. The best I could say is to check Dell's site and forums for ones having a similar problem. If not there, I'd call Dell. Make sure the SD card is not in backwards (hope it went in fairly easy), the cards have a small read only switch on them, maybe it's causing the trouble and you could have a bad card I guess. I'm reaching though...