View Full Version : Article on PPC > Palm

Deslock
12-31-2003, 04:50 PM
I know ppcthoughts is a PPC evangelist site, but this article is interesting and worth reading (there are two parts):
http://www.writingonyourpalm.net/column031208.htm
http://www.writingonyourpalm.net/column031229.htm

Jason Dunn
12-31-2003, 04:59 PM
Yeah, Jeff flip-flops back and forth a couple of times a year...

Air
12-31-2003, 05:10 PM
"With very few exceptions, Pocket PC users can now find PalmOS alternatives for everything they do on the Pocket PC, and switching to the Palm camp isn't the downgrade it used to be. More to the point, many Pocket PC users may find that life is easier on the Palm side of the fence. If you haven't used a Palm in a couple years, try one out and see if it feels right. You might be surprised."

yeah right, gimme a break.
DTG, which is the best wordproc on POS can't even do symbols and diagram.

DTG is basically pocketword with table.
And since jeff is not a spreadsheet user, he seems oblivion about the pathetic state of spreadsheet on POS. Same with presentation, POS presentation apps are pretty basic.

Same with most of Palm softwares, their top of the line apps doesn't come close to PPC top of the line offering, despite POS claim of having wide choice.

shawnc
12-31-2003, 10:36 PM
Deslock,

Thanx for the links. Interesting reading. I'm not certain what the authors point is, but if I were contemplating switching from PPC to Palm, the article would convince me NOT to make the switch. After reading these articles, I feel even BETTER about selecting my 4150 as I was also strongly considering the T3.

However, it will always anger me to no end that a Palm works better with MS Office than my PPC :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: ! THIS IS SIMPLY UNEXCUSABLE!

that_kid
12-31-2003, 11:05 PM
I'm too much of a power user to go back to palm. That was one of the reasons that brought me to the ppc years ago. I've played with all the new palms and while things are better now, I still can't do all the things that "I" do daily with my ppc. Sorry palm, you're the weakest link "FOR ME" goodbye. Others may feel differently but for myt needs palm doesn't cut it.

Dave Potter
12-31-2003, 11:20 PM
The pseudo-informed opinion sharing in those articles reminds me so much of Macintosh militants.

It just goes to show you -
opinions are like a$$holes, everybody has one.

EDIT:
Something else just occurred to me... does his preference change depending upon which item he receives more commission on at the time? Years ago, I also worked for a big box electronics retailer - strange thing was that the 'best deal' and\or 'best product' always seemed to be the one that made the sales person the most commission.
(i.e. - they were putting their own self interest ahead of their customer's)

The fact that he sells these things for a living makes his opinions biased and suspect in my books.