View Full Version : Perfect Pocket PC

Anjuan Simmons
12-31-2003, 04:31 PM
I have a Toshiba e740 which a dinosaur by PPC standards. It was a sweet device when I first cradeled it in my loving hands, but the realities of technology development and lack of an upgrade path from Toshiba make it vastly under-powered and under-featured when compared to recent devices.

However, I refuse to buy another PPC until one comes out that has all of the features I want. I paid a lot of money for the e740 and its accessories, and I will not make another such investment until a worthy device emerges. The device of devices. The One.

Such a device would have these features (state of the art specifications like RAM, CPU speed, screen resolution, etc. are assumed):
- Dual SD and CF slots
- 1.3 Megapixel (or higher) camera with flash
- FM/AM radio tuner
- GPS
- Fully operable in Landscape mode
- WiFi and Bluetooth connectivity
- Consumer IR
- Keyboard
- Phone capability

Until then, even though I may need to lightly punch it every now and then, my antique e740 will ride in my pocket.

Aesop

David Prahl
12-31-2003, 05:04 PM
:drool:

One PDA to rule them all,
One PDA to find them.
One PDA to bring them all,
and in the darkness...connect them!

The Pocket PC of Power...

Air
12-31-2003, 05:48 PM
but it'll have half inch screen and 10 minutes of battery life. :lol:

better redo the list.

Linux_Zen
12-31-2003, 06:53 PM
Uhh ... 2 CF slots and 2 SD/IO slots? But ... WHY?!

PoweriPaq
12-31-2003, 08:27 PM
I will wait for my PPC I want, and that would be.

640x480 and be able to do landscape

Must have SDIO slot and CF Slot

WiFi and BT

4.0 inch screen size

as small as it able to be with 4 inch screen size

Jog Dial on the side

USB Host

Big battery like beyond the 10000 mAH

as light as it permits with the 10000 mAH battery.

Infrared in front

And bundled software like voice recognition.

The option of having FM/AM and TV Tuner would be good as well, but not necessary.

Then I'll be happy.

Of course, I'll be happier if it comes with Dual Slots of everything, such as MS, xD, SD, CF, PCMCIA, MMC, SM and whatever else is out there.

Anjuan Simmons
12-31-2003, 08:43 PM
Uhh ... 2 CF slots and 2 SD/IO slots? But ... WHY?!

Ooops. :roll: I should have simply said a CF slot and an SD slot.

mea culpa

Aesop

David Prahl
12-31-2003, 11:39 PM
Remember, everyone - this is the *perfect* Pocket PC. It doesn't have to conform to present day restrictions!

How about a PPC with solar cells on the back? Flip it over and let it charge!

sublime
12-31-2003, 11:47 PM
All I want on my PPC, and I know I shall never have it, is to have the 20 volume Oxford English Dictionary and the full Brittanica Encyclopedia on one storage card.

All I have is crappy Lextionary and even crappier pseudo-encyclopediae instead.

David Prahl
01-01-2004, 12:19 AM
All I want on my PPC, and I know I shall never have it, is to have the 20 volume Oxford English Dictionary and the full Brittanica Encyclopedia on one storage card.

All I have is crappy Lextionary and even crappier pseudo-encyclopediae instead.

Get a wireless or GPRS card! You can subscribe to or read both of them on the web.

sublime
01-01-2004, 12:30 AM
Is that right?

I'm talking about the $2000, huge 20 volume honking Oxford English Dictionary, not some tiny pocket crap. Is it actually possible to access this with GPS?

Tell me more, my good man, tell me more.

Vulcan
01-01-2004, 12:38 AM
If you added a blue tooth card and a $20 CF FM tuner card to your E740 you would have 90% of your list....Add that IR device that connects to your headphone jack and you are pretty much there.

Ripper014
01-01-2004, 01:43 AM
Well if your talking like that.. why can't the screen not only reflect light but at as a solar panel as well drawing in energy.

I want something that has a 1024x768 screen, and can run the current desktop operating system. For the user to be able to have the cpu and ram. For someone to design something where the bottleneck is at the cpu so that the end user can configure it as he/she wants. A better button layout... something closer to what we had with the Casio E Series...

At least a 4" screen... or all connectors to conform to one standard... so that a keybaord I buy today will work tomorrow. Of course wifi and bluetooth, a usb connection. A battery that will last 8 hours... during constant operation... at a reasonable size... (the pda can not be any larger than the current Hp2200 series). Oh what the heck built in gps.

No preloaded software... this can all be included on the a disk so the end user can load in what he/she wants. Actually you can preload it.. just make so that it can all be removed. The programs preloaded are mostly crap anyway... Pocket Word/Excel... why bother...

Needs to come with a nice case, screen protector, and at least one additional stylus. Oh and it needs to come in at the magic price of $100can....

David Prahl
01-01-2004, 02:04 AM
GPRS, a cellular technology that would allow you to surf the web. Once on the web you could access their site.

If you had an unlimited data plan ($20 from T-Mobile) you could surf to your heart's content.