View Full Version : Tallying up the TOTAL cost of your Pocket PC

Candygogo
12-31-2003, 03:46 AM
When I would move from pda to pda, I would always tell myself: "I WON'T buy too many things for this!" Then, you realise that you do need more storage, and you do need to protect your investment so a case is neccessary. Somehow, things just snowball from there. Screen protectors, additional chargers, and we haven't even mention the extravagent items! 8O

As you buy your memory cards, cases, mulit-function styli, etc...do you keep a small list in your head of all the accessories you've bought?

Dave Potter
12-31-2003, 04:23 AM
To be honest - I try not to think about it too much.

If I did, I'd probably have a nervous breakdown - after which I would burn the paper that I used to tally the numbers (to make sure that my wife never finds out).

It's an expensive obsession!

Vulcan
12-31-2003, 04:50 AM
It would be too depressing to see the $ amount.....

Pat Logsdon
12-31-2003, 04:56 AM
I try not to think about it, but it's definitely well over the $1,000 mark. :(

WyattEarp
12-31-2003, 08:29 AM
I guess I'm the crazy one so far. I keep a spreadsheet that lists all my items and costs and tallies them up. Let's just say the amount would make a nice little down payment on a new car.

Jeff Rutledge
12-31-2003, 06:02 PM
I just ran a report using my Money software and have spent nearly CA$5000 on devices, accessories and software.

Thank goodness my wife never reads this site!!! 8)

Canuck
12-31-2003, 06:15 PM
I always focus on what my ppc SAVES me. the $100 foldable keyboard saved me from buying a $1200 laptop. The $70 veo saved me from buying a $300 digital camera. $40 on an irock saves me from buying a new stereo for the car, and with a movie on the flash card it saved getting the $3000 option of a in car video screen on the minivan. Cash Organizer saves me a bundle just by helping 'plug the holes'. The portable speakers saved me from buying a new mini-system.

Sure, it adds up to a $grand, but it SAVED a bundle.

Its not so much W?BIC as 'Why? Because I can't afford the real thing.'

- Derek

Candygogo
12-31-2003, 06:24 PM
I just ran a report using my Money software and have spent nearly CA$5000 on devices, accessories and software.

Thank goodness my wife never reads this site!!! 8)

Yikes! 8O

The thing that sucks is the depreciation value of our electronic products. You can buy a $500 Pocket PC and like a month later it'll be valued around $300-$350. The accessories that will STILL be selling for (x) amount of dollars would only get you about 50-60% of your monry back if sold.

Candygogo
12-31-2003, 06:30 PM
I always focus on what my ppc SAVES me. the $100 foldable keyboard saved me from buying a $1200 laptop. The $70 veo saved me from buying a $300 digital camera. $40 on an irock saves me from buying a new stereo for the car, and with a movie on the flash card it saved getting the $3000 option of a in car video screen on the minivan. Cash Organizer saves me a bundle just by helping 'plug the holes'. The portable speakers saved me from buying a new mini-system.

Sure, it adds up to a $grand, but it SAVED a bundle.

Its not so much W?BIC as 'Why? Because I can't afford the real thing.'

- Derek

You do make some valid points; especially the laptop alternative. Like you, I can't get a laptop, but do use a combination of things when travelling to offset the need for one. Even as prices fall (have seen some decent ones as low as $650 after rebate) it would be just another thing to buy.

Of course, the topic of the post would be changed to 'Tallying up the cost of ALL of your electronic needs/gadgets' (!!!) Then, we would see some humongous numbers!

Linux_Zen
12-31-2003, 06:48 PM
$0 on any PPC (I am still stuck in the Palm OS rut for now), but my SJ20 has cost me a lot more than it should have IMHO for a low-end device.

$130 SJ20 + $50 64MB Mem Stick + $15 Screen Protectors = $195

Not too bad I guess, but that is the price of like ... an X3 300MHz, or an h1935 ... so anyway ... the SJ20 was my introduction into the PDA world and I'll probably spend much more on my next device. I'll want WiFi, a 256MB expansion card, screen protectors, and a good case to start me off. I don't want to think about it ...

I've edited half my mposts a minute after I swear ... but that's only 5 ... I will want an external keyboard too. Those are what ... $50-$100? Yikes!

Candygogo
12-31-2003, 07:37 PM
$0 on any PPC (I am still stuck in the Palm OS rut for now), but my SJ20 has cost me a lot more than it should have IMHO for a low-end device.

$130 SJ20 + $50 64MB Mem Stick + $15 Screen Protectors = $195

Not too bad I guess, but that is the price of like ... an X3 300MHz, or an h1935 ... so anyway ... the SJ20 was my introduction into the PDA world and I'll probably spend much more on my next device. I'll want WiFi, a 256MB expansion card, screen protectors, and a good case to start me off. I don't want to think about it ...

I've edited half my mposts a minute after I swear ... but that's only 5 ... I will want an external keyboard too. Those are what ... $50-$100? Yikes!

Ebay can be your best friend-or worst enemy depending on how you look at it! :wink: Before buying any accessory, I comparison shop online but almost always wind up getting it off of Ebay.

Linux_Zen
01-01-2004, 08:30 AM
Yes, I just recently got into the eBay world. Bought a copy of Win3.1 for my 1993 Compaq Contura 4/25CX 486 beautie for $10 + $4 shipping (they go for $15-18 plus shipping usually!). I beat the guy by 2 cents.

So yeah, I'll probably look into eBay. Thanks for the tip. *Doens't edit post*

mrkablooey
01-01-2004, 03:08 PM
It's easy to justify a new PPC.... when I got my 2215, it was "only $365!" But you add that now?

- PocketInformant ($13)
- PIToday ($10)
- Micro keyboard ($40)
- Belkin case ($30)
- Sena case ($30)
- InnoPocket case ($20)
- HandyLauncher/handy Menu ($6)
- PPX ($10)
- 2 Sync cables ($25)
- Sandisk 256 SD ($65)
- Panasonic 256 SD ($80)
- Battery Pack/Journal Bar (~$25)
- Mapopolis ($100)
- CF GPS ($110)
- Arkon windshield mount ($25)
- FlexWallet/PerfectHome ($10)
- SpriteBackup ($14)
- PPCThoughts membership (priceless! ;) )

I think that's it. There may be a few more... those prices may vary slightly, just going by memory. Some are used prices (Sena case) or discount offers (Innopocket and some software).

I'm not going to total it up, you can do it if you're curious. I'm too afraid. Like JR said, I'm glad my wife doesn't read this site!

GottaDeal
01-01-2004, 05:14 PM
I estimate mine would be around $1500 total. Way too much, lol.

zoneman
01-01-2004, 06:18 PM
I got my Pocket PC for $150 on ebay and that's it! I guess I'm just not geeky enough. I like it because it is SMALL. When I want a keyboard, I use my laptop. But everyone to his own.

Candygogo
01-01-2004, 09:01 PM
When I posted the topic, I forgot some of the main things that can add cost: software!

Of course, there's good/great freeware out there for the PPC, but one is almost 'forced' to buy software. So I guess it's just more stuff to tally... :roll: