View Full Version : New iPAQ, new questions about wireless connect, please help

howardtr
12-31-2003, 02:20 AM
Hello all,
I recently was fortunate to have picked up a new hp iPAQ 1945, and I absolutely love it. I'm getting used to it, however, I am very interested in how the wireless connectivity comes into play. It has bluetooth built in.
1.) When on campus where one can find a wireless network, how simple is it to connect to the internet with my pocket pc?
2.) What are hotspots refering to with wireless connection?
3.) Do I need anything other than bluetooth to have wireless internet access on my pocket pc?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.
howardtr

Ripper014
12-31-2003, 02:37 AM
Bluetooth is a very localized format... only in the neighbourhood of about 30 feet maximum... What I think you are thinking about is wifi... in order for you to use this feature you will require a SD Wifi Card.

There are locations where you can get free access from what I understand... I have not found one... though I did get some free some free bandwidth my competitors unprotected network today to do a little surfing. And my Pda found the accesspoint by itself. So I think I have answered questions one and two.. kinda.

As far as bluetooth you can purchase a Bluetooth dongle from your computer and it can share the existing internet connection. Again as I said you will be limited to about 30 feet... but walls etc... will reduce your range...

bjornkeizers
12-31-2003, 11:04 AM
Yes, you definitely need WiFi instead of Bluetooth. I use WiFi both at home and at school, and it's absolutely great! I have a router set up on the first floor, and I can now surf from anywhere in my house: attic, dining room, hell, I can go to my neighbour's house and still access my network!

If you really want a practical solution, go with WiFi. It's easy, it's cheap, and the range and speed are excellent. It's as fast, and sometimes faster then, my wired Cat5 network.

VintageSlots
01-03-2004, 03:14 AM
Hello all,
I recently was fortunate to have picked up a new hp iPAQ 1945, and I absolutely love it. I'm getting used to it, however, I am very interested in how the wireless connectivity comes into play. It has bluetooth built in.
1.) When on campus where one can find a wireless network, how simple is it to connect to the internet with my pocket pc?
2.) What are hotspots refering to with wireless connection?
3.) Do I need anything other than bluetooth to have wireless internet access on my pocket pc?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.
howardtr

When people say hotspots they are almost always referring to 802.11 networks and not Blue Tooth.

Blue Tooth has very limited range (10 meters at best) and is best suited for things like printers and such. You can do networking via Blue Tooth but this is usually only done in homes and in my opinion, 802.11 is much easier and more reliable than blue tooth.

shawnc
01-03-2004, 04:36 AM
What are hotspots refering to with wireless connection?
howardtr

Assuming you sync w/Avantogo, they have a channel called JWire Hotspot Locator that will give you all 802.11 networks within a certain distance (which you set) of your location.

They don't distinguish between the free and pay locations, but other than that it seems like a useful channel.