View Full Version : Audio/Video Desynch.... :(

Stevoo187
12-31-2003, 01:22 AM
Hey guy,

I posted earlier about the difference between .wmv and divx formats and after advice from surgical, i decided to try my hand at encoding to divx. The first time i tried encoding the first half of LOTR:TTT (also got from surgical..hehe) in virtualdub, it kept giving me an error at a part where the frame was bad i believe. So i went to video>Scan video stream for errors and after i did that i tried it again with success... Unfortunately when i did the same thing for the second half.. the Audio desynched from the video and now I don't know what to do.... Does anyone know how to get rid of bad frames on VD without getting an audio desynch? Many thx in advance for your help!

Pat Logsdon
12-31-2003, 01:35 AM
I posted earlier about the difference between .wmv and divx formats and after advice from surgical, i decided to try my hand at encoding to divx. The first time i tried encoding the first half of LOTR:TTT (also got from surgical..hehe)
I would just like to point out for the record that I did NOT send any file to anyone. Seriously. I know you're kidding, but I just want to make that clear. :mrgreen:

Does anyone know how to get rid of bad frames on VD without getting an audio desynch? Many thx in advance for your help!
I haven't encountered this problem, but it's pretty easy to select sections of the movie. On the main VD screen, position the pointer on the slider before where you think the bad frames are. Then go to the File menu (I think) and select "Start Selection" (or something like that, I'm doing this from memory). Then move the indicator past the bad frames and go to the File menu and select "End Selection". Then just delete the selection. I believe that VD is smart enough to delete the corresponding audio.

Question regarding your audio - are you extracting the audio as a wav file and then re-encoding as an mp3 track, or are you just using the audio track as-is?

Stevoo187
12-31-2003, 01:59 AM
i'm just using source audio... i dunno how to extract... is it better to extract as a wav and then reencode?

Pat Logsdon
12-31-2003, 04:52 AM
i'm just using source audio... i dunno how to extract... is it better to extract as a wav and then reencode?
I would try it, and see if it makes a difference. To extract, just go to File, then select "Save as wav". When it's done (should take about 30 seconds), remember where you saved it, then open up the Audio menu, select "WAV Audio", and then select the file. Then set your audio compression settings to mp3, mono, etc.

Stevoo187
12-31-2003, 08:57 AM
Thx Surgical, You have been a life saver. This method worked like a charm! Kudos on your patience with a novice like me :oops: :lol:

Pat Logsdon
12-31-2003, 04:35 PM
No problem - glad it worked! I was a noob once myself, so the least I can do is share the results of my blood, sweat and tears. :wink: :mrgreen:

Mitchybums
01-11-2004, 06:55 PM
gonna try this too.
been reencoding movies, but also a lot of them (mainly xvid ones) give a cbr error. Virdub does suggest the seperate file for audio, but didnt think much of it.

Zathras
01-12-2004, 01:40 AM
Stevoo187, you might be able to use Div Fix to fix your broken movie so you don't have to edit parts out. You can get it at the link below. It is in the Avi Edting tools section.

http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/software.htm