View Full Version : Finally, for once!

Vincent M Ferrari
12-31-2003, 12:40 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So I'm talking to a friend of mine at work who I've been hounding for weeks about buying his Ipaq 5550. (Not really hounding, just dropping a subtle hint every now and then).

Then he said the following words when I asked him if he thought about a price:

"What do I care? Take it... I don't use it."

Needless to say, I almost passed out on the floor!

So as of right now, I am the proud owner of a barely used iPaq 5550.

I could die right now. Seriously. This kind of thing never happens to me, but to everyone around me.

Just wanted to share the joy!

Dave Potter
12-31-2003, 01:08 AM
I hate you. :D

Why can't I ever be the lucky one ??!!?? :cry:

Steven Cedrone
12-31-2003, 01:59 AM
I think you need to buy your friend a beer (or 10)... :beer: :wink:

Steve

Vincent M Ferrari
12-31-2003, 02:41 AM
I think you need to buy your friend a beer (or 10)... :beer: :wink:

Steve

I'd have to say you may be on to something, Steven...

Jeez :-)

Janak Parekh
12-31-2003, 06:05 AM
Is he nuts? He could have (at least) said "give me $100" and you'd have probably bought it on the spot. :razzing:

--janak

Vincent M Ferrari
12-31-2003, 06:08 AM
Well, it isn't all as good as I had hoped. I"m about ready to cry.

It won't connect to my wifi network at home for the life of me. I have to wait until tomorrow for the CD and hope that after I get activesync running I can throw on the rom updates and that'll do the trick.

I have to say WM2003's connection screen really SUCKS. I've been fiddling with it for three hours and have not connected to my router.

PPC 2002 devices? I can do it in my sleep.

I wanna cry. I have this beautiful ppc sitting here, and I can't do a damned thing with it. This is so sad...

At least it's keeping the papers on my desk from blowing around.

Ripper014
12-31-2003, 06:15 AM
Thats funny because my Hp2210 setup in about 5 minutes...

But I deal feel your pain... sort of...

I guess there is some balance in the world... free PDA... free pain...

Pat Logsdon
12-31-2003, 06:26 AM
I have to say WM2003's connection screen really SUCKS. I've been fiddling with it for three hours and have not connected to my router.
I had a really similar problem with my wife's 1945 w/PPC2003. I finally got it working, but only after a few hours of immense frustration. Based on that experience, I may be in a position to offer some advice.

First of all, if you haven't already hard-reset the device, I'd do that. That was the ultimate fix for my situation.

Second, if you're using a skinning program of some sort, turn it off. I've found that sometimes (not all the time) the skin will stop the sniffer notification bubble from popping up.

If your AP is broadcasting, the sniffer should be able to find it. Do you have WEP enabled, or MAC filtering, or is it an open network?

Vincent M Ferrari
12-31-2003, 06:31 AM
First of all, if you haven't already hard-reset the device, I'd do that. That was the ultimate fix for my situation.

That was the first thing I tried.

Second, if you're using a skinning program of some sort, turn it off. I've found that sometimes (not all the time) the skin will stop the sniffer notification bubble from popping up.

Nothing installed yet

If your AP is broadcasting, the sniffer should be able to find it. Do you have WEP enabled, or MAC filtering, or is it an open network?

My router doesn't have an option to broadcast the SSID, but my laptop and my other ppc pick it up. I guess that's probably the problem.

I've noticed when I go into "wireless networks" and I can see HOME listed, I can click connect, it says connecting, and then goes back to available.

I'm totally stumped and even more frustrated. Any other suggestions are, as these were, greatly appreciated ;-)

Janak Parekh
12-31-2003, 06:38 AM
My router doesn't have an option to broadcast the SSID, but my laptop and my other ppc pick it up. I guess that's probably the problem.
Actually, if it doesn't have an option, it's always broadcasting. Assuming you tried with WEP off, I would indeed try the ROM updates before fiddling more. It just wants you to invest a little blood, sweat and tears given the amazing price. :razzing:

--janak

Vincent M Ferrari
01-01-2004, 09:13 PM
Okay... I figured out the problem, but considering the completely horrific WM2003 connection manager, I have no idea what to do about it.

I ran VX Ipconfig, and it's telling me that the IP for my Ipaq is 127.0.0.1 (not getting an IP, even if I set one in Connection Manager), and that the DHCP server address is 255.255.255.255.

Oddly enough, if I set the CM to use DHCP, it shows the IP as the MAC address for the WiFi address, and under the DNS, there's one additional entry of "5"

That's it.

Just 5.

So apparently, there is some configuration that needs to be done and no place to put it. I need to enter the DNS somewhere (although I hate this solution because I'll have to switch profiles to use it at work) and just nudge it along to the DHCP server.

Any suggestions guys?