View Full Version : Quick Question about divx format...

Stevoo187
12-30-2003, 08:24 PM
Hey guys,

I'm kinda new to this encoding stuff and i was just wondering why so many people choose to encode to divx (which seems to be harder) rather than using something as easy as stoik video converter to convert a file to .wmv and play it in wmp9. Is the divx format better quality video/audio than .wmv or maybe smaller????? I know i must be missing something because everyone around here converts to divx.... plz enlighten me! :lol:

Pat Logsdon
12-30-2003, 08:38 PM
Short answer, yes, the quality is MUCH better than wmv, in my (and many others') opinion. You really have to go through the steps to create the divx file to really see the difference. I'd recommend that you wade through the encoding steps for something simple (like a Simpson's episode, or something), and then convert the same file to WMV. The difference will be immediately apparent. It's just a much more efficient codec.

As far as file size goes, I can't really give you a comparison, since I've never been happy enough with WMV files to convert anything large. I can tell you that I can fit LOTR: TTT on a 256 MB SD card. This is using standard MP3 mono audio encoding and 2 pass video encoding at 230 kb/sec with the DivX 5.1 codec. This is with no artifacting, no ghosting, and in-synch audio. 8)

Stevoo187
12-30-2003, 08:40 PM
thx a lot man.. i'll have to try it out :)

Stevoo187
12-30-2003, 08:43 PM
o.. forgot to ask.. does anyone know of any comprehensive guides to convert a file to divx???? Something that even I could understand would be much appreciated...hehe

Pat Logsdon
12-30-2003, 08:58 PM
There are a few guides out there, but I've found that the most accurate and easy to follow one is over at pocketmatrix.com (http://pocketmatrix.com/guides/dvd2divx/). Following the steps of that guide will get you better quality than anything else (others will tell you that you don't need to rotate, you only need to use 1 pass encoding, etc.). If you're encoding from a DVD, start with Part 1. If you're encoding from an MPEG, AVI, etc, start with Part 2.

Also, make sure you get the latest DivX codec here (http://download.divx.com/divx/DivX511Bundle.exe) - you can ignore what the guide says about only using DivX 4.12 - it's no longer correct. Everything else is, though. :mrgreen:

Stevoo187
12-30-2003, 09:10 PM
Thanks for your help Surgical Sanck that guide really helped. I think i'll use DivX from now on :wink:

Stevoo187
12-30-2003, 09:25 PM
Hey Surgical, I was just wondering.. how large was your LOTR: TTT file to begin with? thx for the help again!

Pat Logsdon
12-30-2003, 09:43 PM
Hey Surgical, I was just wondering.. how large was your LOTR: TTT file to begin with? thx for the help again!
Good question - I started with a DivX version, so it was probably somewhere around 900mb to a gig.