View Full Version : How can I get my Ewallet back?

Trimble
12-30-2003, 05:44 PM
Ok, I once owned a 3630. It came with a copy of Ewallet and ListPro on the included CD, I believe... When I upgraded it to 2002, they released fixes to upgrade Ewallet and ListPro to work with 2002. When my 3630 went bad, I traded it for a 3700 series with my bestbuy product plan, and reinstalled Ewallet and Listpro upgrades onto it.

Now, i have a 5455, upgraded to 2003, and I'm really missing my Ewallet and Listpro again. Is there any way to get these back based on the fact that I previously owned legal copies of these from my 3630?

When I installed the upgraded 2002 version on my 3700, it Identified the device as an Ipaq and was happy to run, but for some reason either I lost the upgrade install files, or the upgrade version(not sure if this install that I have is the same one, it's been a while) doesn't recognize the 5455 as an Ipaq.

Steven Cedrone
12-30-2003, 05:47 PM
Is there any way to get these back based on the fact that I previously owned legal copies of these from my 3630?

Email the folks at Ilium... (http://www.iliumsoft.com/)

Here is their support page... (http://www.iliumsoft.com/site/support/support.htm)

Steve

Chris Spera
12-30-2003, 07:46 PM
You should also try downloading the most curent trial version and see if the reg codes they gave you work.

If you don't have reg codes, then you will need to contact Ilium Software for assistance.

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera

Trimble
12-30-2003, 07:48 PM
The version that came with the Ipaq didn't have a reg-code, it was just unlocked. It DID, however, have code to validate that it was running on an Ipaq.

Hx4700
12-31-2003, 08:15 AM
Trimble,
I had the same problem when I went from Ipaq to Jornada 568, and now to the Axim. I could not get the Ilium programs to install on any but the Ipaq.
I particulally liked ListPro.
Here's my fix--

*****The "Fix" has been removed by moderator SJC*****

Hope this helps.
Ron...

Steven Cedrone
12-31-2003, 02:11 PM
Please do not post procedures to circumvent distribution controls on commercial software applications. If you want to use the software, if you like the software, then talk to the software manufacturer and if need be, buy an upgrade to the software...

Steven Cedrone
Community Moderator

Hx4700
12-31-2003, 10:41 PM
Steve,
How about putting back the part of my post concerning my feelings on having to buy another version when the one I have works fine.
That paragraph did not give any programming instructions but it sure did disagree with your position. I have similar feelings about desktop vendors.

I can understand somewhat you removing the instructions on the copying, etc, based on how you stated your position, but why do you have an adversion to leaving "thoughts" different than your position. (I mean this is PocketPCthoughts!) I thought I made some good points, particularly about the problem being just the installer. And what about the tip about the listpro converter. Maybe you did not catch that this converter is provided on the Ilium site by them. Whether you agree or not should not cause you to censor my opinions on vendor requiring upgrades. I can take the position to agree to disagree. Can you???

And secondly, copying a file I own from one ppc to another with no programming changes, etc, to be considered a breach of your definition of "breaking" code is a real stretch. I mean, I own both ppc's and the file. Again, I can agree to disagree on this.

Regards,
Ron...

Ripper014
01-01-2004, 12:09 AM
I have to totally stand by Ronald on this, the problem was with the installer. And I think that it is bad business practice for Ilium Software to force you to upgrade to a new version of eWallet becuse thier installer will not load in the software, though it would run fine in the new machines.

As was mentioned by Ronaldb1 its not like anyone is using software that has not been paid for this is a failure on the part of the manufacturer.

As for the balance of his post I can not respond to since "NO ONE" probably saw it... but I would like to think that this is a open forum for all to feel free to express one's opinion as long as it does done in good taste and with respect. Oh ya... and adheres to the laws of the land.

Otherwise I am sure many of us would consider moving to other forums. I am sure that all of us have been to forums where the moderator controlled the content to the point that it only contained to the opinions expressed by them. Well I have never thought that here but I hope that it does not go that route.

Janak Parekh
01-01-2004, 12:13 AM
I have to totally stand by Ronald on this, the problem was with the installer. And I think that it is bad business practice for Ilium Software to force you to upgrade to a new version of eWallet becuse thier installer will not load in the software, though it would run fine in the new machines.
Perhaps, but I believe Ilium and Compaq signed an agreement where Compaq paid some fee for Ilium to supply eWallet for 36xx units, but that was it -- and I believe it was designed as a 36xx-only "special edition". This happens all the time with a wide variety of "bundled" products with computers. You may feel that it was bad business practice for Ilium not to continue supporting an old version, but we do buy upgrades, don't we? Ilium's not obligated to support 3+ year-old software forever. They do offer a decent discount for upgrading from the original iPAQ version. I did that with eWallet, and I've continued to be very happy with it.

Otherwise I am sure many of us would consider moving to other forums. I am sure that all of us have been to forums where the moderator controlled the content to the point that it only contained to the opinions expressed by them. Well I have never thought that here but I hope that it does not go that route.
Let's let Steve respond first before jumping to conclusions... I personally know that Steve isn't one to needlessly censor people's opinions.

--janak

Ripper014
01-01-2004, 01:21 AM
I don't think you understand... there is something wrong with the installer that prevents eWallet from loading in the newer machines... I have run into it myself. The older program works fine and Ronald was posting the solution to someone who has legitimate ownership to the program whether it was bundled or not.

Ilium is aware of the fact that the older version will not load, in fact they even speak of it on their website. They even have a link to correct the solution, and guess what their solution is... BUY THE NEW ONE... well guess what you do not have to do that if your happy with the older version.

I can understand your point if the old version is not compatible with the new units... but this is not the case. And the fix is extremely simple if you still have the original executable... I just think this is another opportunity at a money grab from consumers that are not as aware. We should be given the option to upgrade not forced.

As for the last part of my post I am just responding to my past experiences from previous forums I used to frequent. As I said I did not see the original post so I can not comment on what was removed... I do like it here... but I find it a little quiet... but I also like to think I am supporting a canadian product. :)

Steven Cedrone
01-01-2004, 03:03 AM
Ron,

My position is this: You bought a device that had the software bundled as part of the purchase. When you went to a new device you felt that you had the right to use the application on the new device. After discussing this with the software vendor you found that this was not the case. Rather then purchase an upgrade you found away "around" the problem. You then told someone here how to do the same thing...

Have I interpreted you posts incorrectly??? You can rant about how you think it's unfair until you are blue in the face, I won't edit your post (unless you do something you shouldn't)...

Anyway, I just wanted you to know where I was "coming from". And I certainly don't want you to go looking for a new home... :wink:

Steve

Janak Parekh
01-01-2004, 04:26 AM
I don't think you understand... there is something wrong with the installer that prevents eWallet from loading in the newer machines... I have run into it myself. The older program works fine and Ronald was posting the solution to someone who has legitimate ownership to the program whether it was bundled or not.
I understand perfectly -- remember, I owned it. The problem is what the license for the software lets you do. I believe this is "not allowed" in the license you were granted in the bundled eWallet.

You have to understand this from our perspective, too. We don't want to get into trouble by allowing "circumventions" of licenses and "protection mechanisms" thereof. For all I know, it might be a DMCA violation (I hope it's not, but who knows nowadays).

I just think this is another opportunity at a money grab from consumers that are not as aware. We should be given the option to upgrade not forced.
It's not that simple, though. Here's one line of reasoning -- and I don't profess to know if it's true or not: how do you that this software works perfectly on WM2003? It might be prone to corruption, or it might not. The vendor should test it before allowing this configuration. That costs money too. If you try to install Word 1.1 on your PC today, it might not work for a number of different reasons, or it might work fine. You might feel putting in the check disenfranchises you, but maybe Ilium doesn't want to get into the situation where their ancient software causes problems on new Pocket PCs.

Incidentally, if you still feel strongly about this, then vote with your feet -- there are at least two other popular wallet programs.

I do like it here... but I find it a little quiet... but I also like to think I am supporting a canadian product. :)
Our individual "device forums" aren't as busy as some other sites, but if you look at the number of posts cross-forums, I hope you find it interesting and worthwhile. Of course, this is ultimately your decision. :)

--janak

Hx4700
01-01-2004, 09:01 PM
Well guys, this is getting kinda of interesting.

Steve, as to your comments from the 7:03 post-
1. Your are right in thinking I feel I have the right to use the product I own on another platform.

2. But I never said anything about “discussing this with the software vendor”. Don’t know where that came from.

3. Thanks for saying I can ‘rant’ about ‘it being unfair’. I actually used the word “soapbox” in my post. –Generational thing I guess. So when are you going to restore my ‘rant’ on ‘being unfair’ that you deleted from my original post (when you deleted the ‘instructions’ in question). Actually, that was what my second rant was about – deleting my opinion part of my post.

4. But it wasn’t me saying anything about leaving – I’ve been a member over a year now and I am a Lifetime Subscriber.

Ok, so you’re 2 for 4 here in ‘interpreting’ me correctly.

Janak, as to your comments from the 4:13 post-
1. It’s really hard to accept that the program was for ‘36xx only’ as other than the installer everything works fine on other models.

2. I never asked Ilium to support an old product. I tried to do it myself and it worked.

3. As far as Steve’s ‘censoring other people’s opinions’ – I’m still waiting to see my ‘opinion’ part of my original post he deleted to be restored.

As to your comments from the 8:26 post-
1. Funny you should mention DMCA. I’m from the school that believes in the copyright fair use. I should be able to play a song I own on any reasonable player – my home CD player or my car CD player as an example. Or even rip to MP3 for my Axim.
Let’s not stray too far here, but I see some common comparisons here.

2. I take responsibly for the program not working on the newer hardware and OS. If it does – great. If it doesn’t – oh, well – but I might rant about it.

For both Steve and Janak-
Evaluate these two example scenarios please as to being legal or illegal in your opinion. And please understand I do enjoy hearing your opinions, when thought out and can be defended when challenged. Particularly when it concerns “rules” of the site.–

1. I originally loaded my Ipaq long ago with Listpro/eWallet/Dots to my CF card instead of the default to main memory. I get my new Axim and of course use my CF card. I can then double-tap on the exe files on the CF card for these programs to run (not knowing about this discussion) and every one works just fine. Now if I only knew how to get a shortcut for them into my Start/Programs. Oh well, I can live with tapping on the exe files.

2. I got Omnisolve as an extra on my Jornada 568 CD. The instructions say to copy the exe ( I think it’s really a cab file) to the device and run. So when I get my Axim, I fire up the Jornada CD and follow the instructions again. And guess what – it works just fine- no ‘tricks’ even needed.

I personally think both of these scenarios are “fair use”. If so, I also think they blow a hole in many of your stated positions. But again - I can agree to disagree.

I also think my real world scenario solution that you censored out was only half a step away from the two above with just the addition of copying the exe files from “X” (maybe a censored place) (instead of being on my CF card) to the new machine and maybe new OS, and the note about adding a shortcut in “Y” (maybe a censored place too).

Eagerly awaiting both your comments,
Regards,
Ron…

PS – Ripper – I think you made some VERY good points also.

Janak Parekh
01-01-2004, 09:24 PM
So when are you going to restore my ‘rant’ on ‘being unfair’ that you deleted from my original post (when you deleted the ‘instructions’ in question).
Unfortunately, there is no easy way of "restoring" it if we wanted to. :( We do keep backups of the server, but that would take many hours to process.

It’s really hard to accept that the program was for ‘36xx only’ as other than the installer everything works fine on other models.
I understand this, but I'm more talking from a "license to use" standpoint. You may debate its legality, and that's fine, but I don't think we as a site want to get into trouble...

Funny you should mention DMCA. I’m from the school that believes in the copyright fair use. I should be able to play a song I own on any reasonable player – my home CD player or my car CD player as an example. Or even rip to MP3 for my Axim.
So do I. But again, we don't want to get in trouble as a site.

2. I take responsibly for the program not working on the newer hardware and OS. If it does – great. If it doesn’t – oh, well – but I might rant about it.
I understand. And if you get it working, more power to you.

I get my new Axim and of course use my CF card.
Ah, an interesting gray area. This is why "click-wrap licenses" are controversial.

Now if I only knew how to get a shortcut for them into my Start/Programs.
You can tap-and-hold on the EXE file, do Copy... then navigate into Windows\Start Menu\Programs and tap-and-hold on an empty space and do Paste Shortcut.

--janak

Hx4700
01-01-2004, 09:50 PM
Hi Janck-
Good comments. I haven't heard the term "click-wrap" before, but OK.
I think you missed the point of sarcasim in not knowing how to make a Shortcut. It was just for the example. I hoped you would see it was an easy situation a person could get into by having the exe on the CF card from before. Then one would never know of a "possible" me-bad had been commited.

--Delete below if you feel need to with no animosity from me--
Now, how do you feel about letting others know they could PM me in the future for my "Solution" to moving over older versions of certain programs to new hardware and/or OS??? I really don't know if you allow this. I don't really consider myself a technical contributor.

Regards,
Ron...

Janak Parekh
01-01-2004, 10:53 PM
I think you missed the point of sarcasim in not knowing how to make a Shortcut.
Yes, I did.

Then one would never know of a "possible" me-bad had been commited.
No argument here. Note that we're not trying to judge the morality of one's actions.

Now, how do you feel about letting others know they could PM me in the future for my "Solution" to moving over older versions of certain programs to new hardware and/or OS???
I don't "encourage it" per se, but there's no easy way for me to tell and/or to stop you. And from a practical perspective, a PM is a very different mechanism than posting on a board for the world to see. That's why moderators monitor the webboard, not PMs.

--janak

Steven Cedrone
01-02-2004, 01:58 AM
Ron,

As far as your original post goes, if I deleted SOAPBOX comments that were included in your post, I apologize...

When it comes to restoring them, well as Janak stated, they would have to be pulled from backup. Please feel free to post them again here...

I know you were only trying to help people in the same situation as you found yourself in, and for that I can only say "thanks". This community is built on people helping eachother, and I try whenever possible not to interfere when members help members. Just remember, we have to be careful about what is posted and what remains in the forums for all to see...

Steve

Badandy
01-03-2004, 03:02 AM
Resolved expertly.

Good job PPCThoughts ;)

spireview
01-04-2004, 03:28 AM
I'm using eWallet on my 4155 right now. It's version 2.0.3T.

I had the original versions that came with the Ipaq 3630 and in September 2001 (when PPC2002 came out) Ilium sent an email with several upgrade options and a link for eWallet users that got their version from Compaq.

I didn't upgrade my 3630 to PPC2003 until October 2002. I sent a note to Ilium Software explaining my problem and they sent me a link to download the version I'm using now with the unlock codes (as well as a download and codes for ListPro) and it worked on my updated 3630. When I got my 4155, the same program they sent me in October 2002 to replace the original free version that came with the 3630 worked on the 4155. I do think I may be missing some bells and whistles in the version I have, but it works for me.

They came through for me, perhaps they will for you.

Steven Cedrone
01-04-2004, 03:18 PM
They came through for me, perhaps they will for you.

Right, they seem to come through for everyone that contacts them (I don't recall ever hearing a complaint about them, 'till now anyway :wink: ).

That's why the first reply to the original message was from me telling him to just contact them... :way to go:

Steve