View Full Version : h1945 vs Axim X3 400MHz

Linux_Zen
12-30-2003, 04:23 AM
Sorry if this is in the wrong section, there wasn't a General under Hardware so I thought this would be right. Move if necessary; again, sorry if it's in the wrong spot.

I am going to upgrade this summer ... maybe earlier. I am planning ahead though. I have narrowed it down to h1945 or Axim X3 400MHz edition.

The h1945 is good because is has BT and I can buy it at BestBuy with an extended warrenty (or Staples ... you know ...).

The X3 is good because is it 400MHz.

I know there are other factors. But those are what I came up with myself. What else is different between them? Are there other comprable PPCs in the sub-$300 range?

Right now I have a Sony SJ20 (Palm OS 4.1) and it's ok--the 4-bit screen ghosts and it has a dismal 33MHz make we crave an upgrade. I got it in November 2002 and have planned for a while to upgrade during Summer 2004.

I know its still 6-7 months away and PH might have a whole nother product cycle, but then the h1945 would be cheaper, right? So, please don't flame me for owning a Palm OS PDA ... or a Sony Product ... just help me choose ahead of time soI can scout out deals.

Now you probably want to know what I would do with it. I have a WiFi 802.11b network at my house. I might want to be able to surf on that. I heard at some point that there was an X3 with integrated 802.11b, but I can't fint that at Dell.com; does it exist? Bluetooth ... I don't have anything BT at the moment, but I think it would be a nice thing to have. Just ... icing on the cake, in case I wanted a BT dongle for my desktop for varrious things, so I could surf via that. Uhh ... I am a high school student, so I would want to use it for organizing assignments, maybe some word processing. But I heard the h1900 series has a different connector than the other iPAQs, so would that make a keyboard impossible? What about the Dell, are there keyboards out there for it? Also, MP3 playing and basic multimedia (maybe movies) are on my list.

Does that cover what I would do with it? Okay, cheers, thanks for any replies! I'll put in a poll for experimental purposes ... vote if you want (if it works).

PetiteFlower
12-30-2003, 06:18 AM
Look for the X3i for the integrated wifi; this is the only X3 worth looking at at least IMO; someone who doesn't want wifi would have other opinions :) But that's a huge massive advantage over the 1945. The real contest to me is between the 4155 and the X3i, I don't have any need for bluetooth but the ipaq really is pretty sexy. More money, but still sexy!

Stevoo187
12-30-2003, 06:39 AM
Hey Linux_Zen,

I too was in ur predicament just a short while ago and narrowed it down to a Dell X5(similar to x3) and the Ipaq 1945 as well. I chose the Ipaq and am very happy i did. As for the processing difference, though the Ipaq runs at a clock speed of 266, I've heard it's processing power is very near if not the same as the Intell Xscale 400. Personally, i've had no lag playing games or movies on my Ipaq. With your 802.11b connection, that might make the Dell look more appealing, but all you would need is a BT adapter for your pc to surf your house wirelessly. The one thing that the Ipaq lacks is strong battery life. Don't expect the Ipaq to be a road warrior if you travel a lot... but it does get fairly well battery life for the 900mhz battery. Expect anywhere from 3-4 hours use off one charge. Hope that helped :D

Linux_Zen
12-30-2003, 09:25 PM
Since I already have a 802.11b network, the X3i (I found it at dell.com; it was a bigger pic of it above the other 2 ... http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/pda?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs ) looks really nice. $379 (not counting the 10%-off since I wont buy it until Summer, but by then it may be cheaper!) for 64MB, 400MHz (comprable to the 266 in the h1945 from several reviews I've read and from Stevoo), and WiFi, and still having my SD slot open ... plus I don't have anything BT at the moment.

But, back to the original post. I know I can get a Staples or BestBuy Extended Warrenty for the iPAQ so I can upgrade, and it's ok if I destroy it ... but what about the X3i? Other than that, it's just what I've been looking for! I'll be drooling over it until the next reply!

Oh, and I'll edit the poll ... so it makes more sense.

EDIT: Whoops, can't edit polls after votes have been given I guess! Oh well!

Linux_Zen
12-31-2003, 05:55 AM
Sorry for the double post!

Okay, I was reading BH review of the X3i more carefully ... I had sorta skipped the BT section ... but anyway I read it and found this:

Fortunately, this isn't the end of the story. Dell intends to release a model with both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth by the middle of next year.

So maybe I'll look into that! We'll see ... anyway, I should probably shut up, no? Lol ...

Jeff Song
12-31-2003, 07:13 AM
I'm sorry to say, but if you are honestly planning on waiting until summer for a new device, there really is no point in you asking right now. Considering that HP released 6 or 7 models in half a year, I can safely say that in 7 months, the 1945 will be old news, and the X3 will be on its way out as well. I'd say post this thread in 7 months, when you're closer to actually getting the unit. Until then, anything that you decide on now will be for naught.

TH14
12-31-2003, 09:44 AM
IPags 19xx series still uses 2.5mm headphone jack. i believe its the only PPCs that that has a 2.5mm jack. Disadvantage is if you were to damage the supplied earphones, you gotta buy from HP(High Priced) replacement unit.
X3 has an advantage over battery has well, it has an option to buy a 1800mAh unit which is about nearly double what 19xx can offer.

regards

Linux_Zen
12-31-2003, 06:44 PM
Okay I'll shut up on this ... but in 5-6 months, I'll ... not revive this thread probably, but ... I'll post a new equivalent one. Yeah. So ... ignore this thread.

Kowalski
01-01-2004, 12:30 PM
I'm sorry to say, but if you are honestly planning on waiting until summer for a new device, there really is no point in you asking right now. Considering that HP released 6 or 7 models in half a year, I can safely say that in 7 months, the 1945 will be old news, and the X3 will be on its way out as well. I'd say post this thread in 7 months, when you're closer to actually getting the unit. Until then, anything that you decide on now will be for naught.
i wouldn't agree more! the rumored units are shinning! new options like USB hosts, integrated gsm, 640x480 resolution and more!
but right now i would go for axim :wink:
and for the proccessor, there is almost no difference between 266 mhz strong arm and 400 mhz xscale, because xscale runs in compatibility mode and the current operating systems cant use its advantages