View Full Version : Anyone using T-Mobiles FREE Unlimited Internet with T-Mo PocketPC?

Cortex
12-29-2003, 04:27 PM
People have been discussing that T-Mobile now allows free unlimited WAP access that still allows HTTP pages and POP3 access.

Read more > HERE (http://pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21533&highlight=tmobile+unlimited) <

Has anyone with a T-Mobile Pocket PC Phone tried using this?

If so could list the details of the setup?

Currently I pay 30/month for the unlimited data plan but it would be better (and cheaper) for me to have a cheaper voice plan with unlimited webrowsing.

Cortex
12-31-2003, 06:36 PM
soooo

since i got no replies i decided to just change my plan anyway and see if it worked with my t-mobile pocket pc phone and IT DOES!

as discussed in the articles above, T-Mobile now offers unlimited WAP access with all of their nation voice plans costing 19.99 or more.

i had quit using my t-mobile pocket pc phone for voice since the reception in my area was so spotty, and was paying 29.99 for unlimited internet access only. i also have a sierra aircard 750 for my laptop that i would stick the sim into for wireless laptop browsing.

i then changed my plan to the 29.99 per month (i think its 300 anytime minutes and unlimited weekends) voice plan and cancelled my prior 29.99 per month unlimited data plan. i asked them to confirm that WAP access was included with the new voice plan and it they said it was.

i then tried to connect to the internet with the prior internet2.voicestream.com settings and it no longer worked. i changed that to wap.voicestream.com and it connects and works!

the only thing i loose is MS Messenger can no longer connect -- supossedly because the port it uses isnt provided with the unlimited wap access. also VPN access and FTP are not suppossed to be allowed either but i never use them anyway.

im a little disappointed about lack of MS Messenger and will have to decide if having a voice plan is worth not having it. but for all of you that use t-mobile as your voice provider this means....

IF YOU BUY A SIERRA AIRCARD PCMCIA 750, YOU CAN HAVE UNLIMITED WIRELESS INTERNET WITH YOUR LAPTOP -- FREE!

Janak Parekh
12-31-2003, 07:10 PM
:clap: Good to hear it.

About your last comment -- it's not really "FREE", since you need (at least) a voice plan... might just be simpler to get the $29.99 plan with all the ports...

--janak

Cortex
12-31-2003, 07:42 PM
:clap: Good to hear it.

About your last comment -- it's not really "FREE", since you need (at least) a voice plan... might just be simpler to get the $29.99 plan with all the ports...

--janak

true...

but when i initially got my t-mo pocket pc phone i was paying 39.99 for voice + 29.99 for unlimited data!

there are probably a lot of people out there doing that and i just wanted to point out that its now cheaper to just get a 19.99 voice plan (something like 60 minutes per month) and still have unlimited WAP.

also i bet a lot of people who have t-mobile voice dont even realize that they can now make their laptops have unlimited internet for FREE just by buying a sierra aircard.

Janak Parekh
12-31-2003, 09:07 PM
also i bet a lot of people who have t-mobile voice dont even realize that they can now make their laptops have unlimited internet for FREE just by buying a sierra aircard.
Do you mean by swapping the SIM, then? I just wanted to clarify that if you don't already have T-Mobile service, it's not like you're going to get free GPRS. ;)

--janak

Cortex
01-01-2004, 03:13 PM
soooooooo

less than 24 hours later i have switched back to full unlimited internet access for 29.99 per month.

i've grown accustomed to balancing my checkbook on my laptop while im at the local coffee shop. unfortunately the free WAP with national voice plans does not allow SSL (secure socket layer -- ie. secure web site) access :|