View Full Version : Stop and Go from Airscanner Corp

Andy Sjostrom
12-29-2003, 10:09 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.net-security.org/article.php?id=618' target='_blank'>http://www.net-security.org/article.php?id=618</a><br /><br /></div>Airscanner Corporation recently announced that they will discontinue their <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20925">Pocket PC based "Mobile Sniffer"</a>. The official reason for the discontinuation is lack of user demand. Instead, Airscanner now turns to encryption and antivirus software according to the article <a href="http://www.net-security.org/article.php?id=618">Airscanner Announces Mobile Encrypter and Discontinuation of Mobile Sniffer</a>:<br /><br />"Dallas based Airscanner Corporation, announced the upcoming release of Airscanner Mobile Encrypter beta. The Airscanner Mobile Encrypter is an application that secures the user's data residing on the personal data assistant and provides the facility to lock the device in order to disallow its use by other users. It uses optional, popular encryption and decryption algorithms such as 40-bit RC2, 40-bit RC4 and 56-bit DES in conjunction with Microsoft's Enhanced CryptoAPI that supports 128-bit AES encryption/decryption algorithms. The encryption/decryption will be done at the file and folder levels; each file can be encrypted/decrypted by its own key."<br /><br />Features of "Airscanner™ Mobile AntiVirus Pro for Pocket PC" include:<br />"• Quarantine or eradicate embedded viruses and malware. <br />• Fast, optimized scanning speed based on patent pending technology. <br />• Automatic, online updates of virus signatures and scanning engine. <br />• Support for PocketPC 2003/Windows Mobile 2003. <br />• Easy online updates. <br />• Intercept memory resident viruses with an advanced process discovery tool. <br />• Debug Trojan hacks with an easy-to-use registry viewer. <br />• Uncover denial of service attacks with a rapid system analyzer. <br />• Enter your own custom virus signatures (for experts). <br />• Perform fast, recursive, and flexibly multithreaded filesystem scanning. <br />• Real-time virus scanning by default. <br />• Additional "Slow" background scanning option. <br />• A refined virus scanning engine that is 15% faster. <br />• Online update history logging. <br />• Real-time file input/output (I/O) event monitor notifies you when any files on your PDA are changed, created, or deleted...including full logging."<br /><br />I use encryption software myself on my Pocket PC. I have also installed and tested Pocket PC based antivirus software, but due to lack of viruses (so far) I must admit that I uninstalled it. What do think? Will Pocket PC based antivirus software become a bestseller?

Mike Temporale
12-29-2003, 01:55 PM
The encryption/decryption will be done at the file and folder levels; each file can be encrypted/decrypted by its own key.

I'm interested to see how well this works. On many occasions I have wanted to lock a specific file. If has encryption at the file level it should do what I've been looking for. :D

As for the AntiVirus... It's too early right now. I'm sure one day it will be a big seller. I've tried CA's eTrust AntiVirus for PPC, and it works fine. (Free to me since I already have a desktop license) However, until there is a major outbreak I think most users will spend their money else where.

Jonathan1
12-29-2003, 06:47 PM
Features of "Airscanner™ Mobile AntiVirus Pro for Pocket PC" include:
"• Quarantine or eradicate embedded viruses and malware.
• Fast, optimized scanning speed based on patent pending technology.
• Automatic, online updates of virus signatures and scanning engine.
• Support for PocketPC 2003/Windows Mobile 2003.
• Easy online updates.
• Intercept memory resident viruses with an advanced process discovery tool.
• Debug Trojan hacks with an easy-to-use registry viewer.
• Uncover denial of service attacks with a rapid system analyzer.
• Enter your own custom virus signatures (for experts).
• Perform fast, recursive, and flexibly multithreaded filesystem scanning.
• Real-time virus scanning by default.
• Additional "Slow" background scanning option.
• A refined virus scanning engine that is 15% faster.
• Online update history logging.
• Real-time file input/output (I/O) event monitor notifies you when any files on your PDA are changed, created, or deleted...including full logging."

Great! Now all we need is a virus for this scanner to detect :roll:

Gerard
12-29-2003, 08:35 PM
I'm rather puzzled by their statement regarding the discontinuance of the actual wireless network scanning software. Lack of demand? Seems there are a lot more people wanting a scanner than there are needing an AV for the PPC, what with the total lack of PPC virii. Of course, it could be scanning for a virus which might infect a PC over a network connection or via Activesync, heading off an infection before it can happen... but isn't that why we all run AV software on the PC?

I've had several infected files caught by Grisoft's AV when moving through Activesync or from an external hard drive, all long ago now (almost 2 years). They were virus-infected PPC program installers. I have no idea how they came to be so, but they were two games and a utility I had downloaded with my Casio and then wanted to move to the PC for unpacking to install on the Casio. I think they were all Asian, and all came from PocketPCCity or something like that. One was LZH compressed.

Whatever, none of them would run on my PPC at the time, and AVG nailed them down before I could even click on them in the PC. I keep AVG updated twice a week at least, though I scarcely ever use the PC. Seems the safe way to go, as virus authors seem intent on destruction of the PC.

I have tried each of the AV softwares for the PPC, just out of curiousity. There was one almost 3 years ago from TrendMicro, called PocketPC-Cillin. I deliberately saved a few common virus types to test with it. At the time I was doing all my email with Casio Mobile E-mailer, which downloaded preview-only if one liked... I'd download the whole worm or whatever, then save it to My Documents somewhere, and when I had a few I ran the 'AV'. Nothing. Zero results, after about 10 minutes of snails-pace Casio performance while it 'scanned.' Dumped that sad puppy after email attempts failed to get any reply.

I tried BitDefender, which ran better but likewise found nothing, even when I knew at least one PIF virus file was resident. The company told me that they would offer definitions only if and when a PPC virus became available to define. Apparently their focus was not on network infections. Dumped that, though it ran a lot better than the TrendMicro piece of junk.

Tried AirScanner's version in an early rev, and wasn't impressed. Messy, it seemed, and of course it failed to spot the bait I again saved for it (this time using nPOP, my current email client). In fairness I haven't tried a recent version, but for the memory footprint involved and the complete lack of need for such a software, for me, there is no real point.

I can see how a busy network cowboy might want something like this running. But again, would such a person want a 'sniffer' just as much, if not more? The logic of their claim falls flat in my ears. I think they more likely ran up against some problem they're not willing to disclose, perhaps in development, perhaps industry or more likely governmental pressures, and they decided to make excuses and back away.

ctmagnus
12-29-2003, 10:30 PM
I too find the discontinuation of Mobile Sniffer to be very strange. At this point in time, it would be much more useful than an antivirus product for the Pocket PC. At least with a Mobile Sniffer-type product, admins, enthusiasts, etc can monitor their network traffic without having to lug around a notebook or be chained to a desktop.

At least another company licensed the code so we may yet see a decent sniffer for the Pocket PC. Hopefully at the same pricepoint, as well.

The PocketTV Team
12-30-2003, 01:01 AM
> IMPORTANT: Airscanner Mobile Sniffer will not be updated to support Windows Mobile 2003.

Why ? Is it that complicated to update Airscanner Mobile Sniffer to Pocket PC 2003 ?

Lack of demand ??? The product is free for personal use, so I'm sure there are many downloads, and just like PocketTV, commercial company will want to purchase the commercial license for Airscanner Mobile Sniffer (which is only $49.99).

So what is the *real* reason for ceasing support for Airscanner Mobile Sniffer ?

I think it's a great product, and many people are disapointed that it's not more widely known. Why isn't the free version listed on PocketGear, Handango etc ? It would give much more exposure to the product!

More and more Pocket PC's come equipped with WiFi, which would make Airscanner Mobile Sniffer even more useful.

Gerard
12-30-2003, 01:52 AM
It's a US-based company, right? and the US government made it clear earlier this year that they feel unprotected wireless networks are one route for terrorists to harm the US, via data theft or hacking. I'm not usually big on conspiracy theories, but this case smells funny. It's their most popular software. On the official support forum on CEWindows.NET they had many, many requests for a WM2003 update estimate, then suddenly announced just before Christmas this discontinued support. The worker responsible for interacting with forum users/customers sounds about as frustrated as the average user, more so than some. He's confused by it all, apparently blind-sided by higher-ups in the company. Promises were made, then broken by this announcement. Fishy, very.

The PocketTV Team
12-30-2003, 02:59 AM
> and the US government made it clear earlier this year that they feel unprotected wireless networks are one route for terrorists to harm the US, via data theft or hacking.

Then one more reason to encourage people to secure their wireless network!

This was a valuable tool to detect unsecured networks, so it could be used by system administrators to secure network companies.

Naturally hackers have many other tools for snooping on wireless networks, no I don't think the desapearance of this product will make any practical difference if someone really wants to do something malicious with un-protected wireless network.

gry
12-30-2003, 04:45 AM
I don't get it either.

Why kill your flag ship product that you won awards with?

I just call this bad business. Why not just charge a fee and we'll all start buying it instead of using it for free?

I'm back to using Linux running AirSnort, Kismet, and a laptop.

Dermot81
12-30-2003, 06:01 PM
I agree, who the hell wants virus protection on a PPC? Make me a PPC2k3 wireless sniffer and then you'll get your money from me!