View Full Version : Sync over WiFi

cab124
12-28-2003, 07:11 PM
Could someone point me in the direction of some documentation tht explains how to ActiveSync over WiFi?

Thanks!!

shawnc
12-28-2003, 07:38 PM
Unfortunately I can't help you but I think it will be helpful to those who can, if you provide a little more info. For instance, have you already established a wireless connection with your home network or are you starting from scratch?

masaki
12-29-2003, 01:09 AM
(I assume you have already setup your wireless LAN (and it's working) and running Windows XP.)

You'd have to use the cradle/cable to sync at least once to create a partnership first. Afterward, go to "Connection Settings" in ActiveSync and check to select "Allow network (Ethernet) and Remote Access Service (RAS) server connection with this desktop computer."

====

From my experience, if your wifi connection is set to "The Internet" setting, you'd have to create a VPN connection first. (I'm not 100% sure on this but this is how mine works)

Create a connection to your VPN server on your iPAQ
1. Goto Settings -> Connections -> Connections
2. Tap on the VPN tab
3. Tap on "New..." button to create a VPN connection setting.
4. Enter a "Name", "Host name/IP"
5. Select VPN type "PPTP"
6. Tap "Next"
7. "User name" is the profile name on your XP machine
8. "Password" is the password associated with the profile
9. Leave "Domain" empty
10. Click on the "Advanced" button to set your IP settings

Once you're done, tapping on the connection icon in NavBar (the 2 arrows indicating network connection status) and you should see the name of your VPN server appear on the popup. There is a link "Connect VPN" there for you to manually connect to your VPN server.

Refer to this page http://www.oecadvantage.net/ajarvi/WM2003/WM2003PPTPVPN.html on how to setup XP's VPN server.

When you tap on Sync in ActiveSync while using "The Internet" setting, ActiveSync will attempt to connect to the default VPN server. If the VPN is already connected, it will start to sync your Pocket PC.

If ActiveSync connects but couldn't sync (shows connected as Guest), download Zimmermann Pocket Hosts (http://www.zimac.de) and delete the ppp_peer entry using Pocket Hosts (i think that's how it's spelled) and start syncing again. That always fix the problem for me.

====

If you're using the "Work" setting, then you should be able to sync through wifi without making any setting. If it doesn't work, check and make sure the host PC name (in ActiveSync tap on Tools and Options and you'll see "Use this PC:".) is correct and present on the network. You might also need to physically put computer name along with its IP on your LAN in the registry. Use Pocket Hosts to add the IP information.

====

Make sure the computer and iPAQ's IPs are in the same network. Use the same subnet mask if you're using static IP settings.

Hope this helps.

cab124
12-29-2003, 02:46 AM
Wow!! I can't believe that you took the time to write all of that out for me. I feel like I ought to buy you a beer or something! THANKS!!!!!!

I am going to print out your message and try setting it up as you have described.

Ever since I got my iPaq 2215, I have synched using BlueTooth, but I am really getting tired of the unreliability. So often, I have to reboot both machines between syncs or it will not work. Its getting very old. I really hate to take up desk space with the cradle so I thought I would see if I can get ActiveSync through WiFi to work.

Now that I think of it, my whole experience with the 2215 has been a little unreliable (not necessarily the hardware, could be the OS or my software). A typical day might look somethihng like this:

1. Try to turn on the unit in the morning, but nothing happens. Do a warm reset, then everything seems OK.

2. After some normal use, try to switch from contacts to FreeCell. The title bar changes to say "FreeCell," but the app never appears. Do a reset, then everything is OK.

3. Try to sync. Won't connect. Reboot both machines (desktop and 2215). Then everything seems to work.

4. Right in the middle of syncing Pocket Quicken, BlueTooth disconnects. Reboot and start over.

This kind of stuff happens all the time. Very annoying.

Once again....thanks!!!!!!!

VintageSlots
01-03-2004, 03:21 AM
Wow!! I can't believe that you took the time to write all of that out for me. I feel like I ought to buy you a beer or something! THANKS!!!!!!

I am going to print out your message and try setting it up as you have described.

Ever since I got my iPaq 2215, I have synched using BlueTooth, but I am really getting tired of the unreliability. So often, I have to reboot both machines between syncs or it will not work. Its getting very old. I really hate to take up desk space with the cradle so I thought I would see if I can get ActiveSync through WiFi to work.

Now that I think of it, my whole experience with the 2215 has been a little unreliable (not necessarily the hardware, could be the OS or my software). A typical day might look somethihng like this:

1. Try to turn on the unit in the morning, but nothing happens. Do a warm reset, then everything seems OK.

2. After some normal use, try to switch from contacts to FreeCell. The title bar changes to say "FreeCell," but the app never appears. Do a reset, then everything is OK.

3. Try to sync. Won't connect. Reboot both machines (desktop and 2215). Then everything seems to work.

4. Right in the middle of syncing Pocket Quicken, BlueTooth disconnects. Reboot and start over.

This kind of stuff happens all the time. Very annoying.

Once again....thanks!!!!!!!

I have also found that getting my Ipaq to wirelessly sync with my PC always takes 3 attempts, not 2, not 1, not 4, but ALWAYS 3!

I bring up active sync. Tap Sync, tap disconnect. On the third attempt the sync works!

Sooooo, if it doesn't work the first time, try it a couple more times.