View Full Version : SD vs CF Read/Write Speeds

SassKwatch
12-28-2003, 06:42 PM
Recently ran into a discussion of CF vs SD cards and the inherent read/write speeds of each format. One member involved in the discussion is having trouble with choppy playback of MP3's on a SanDisk CF card and was trying to determine if it was his card.

As part of the discussion, it was also mentioned that SD has an inherently faster read/write speed than CF. Is that true? I've never heard this before, but don't follow the technical details of such things very closely at all, so could easily have missed this point. If true, it certainly might affect any future card purchases I might make.

Thoughts?

TH14
12-29-2003, 05:54 PM
I understand that SD is 1bit interface and CF is 4bit interface, therefore CF is still faster than SD.
however Panasonic's SD is the only SD that is 4bit hence the 10mbps. the rest are still 2mbps.
all PPCs only support 1bit at the moment.

regards

tanalasta
12-30-2003, 04:07 AM
Actually the new sandisk ultra SD card's also boast 9+MB/s.... so panasonic's finally got some competition... though being sandisk my money's still on panasonic ;)

Kowalski
01-01-2004, 12:35 PM
SD cards use 1 bit bus for data and 4 bits for IO devices.
CF uses 16 bits
it is easier to implement a device with CF slot, that is why there are more peripherals that go for the CF slot.
some nice examples are USB and GSM cards
also for now the upper limit of SD storage is 1 gig but CF has 6 gig cards although they are soooo expensive!