View Full Version : Newbie to GPS

SKIGOD
12-28-2003, 04:43 PM
I have an HP 4150 Pocket PC which I would like to enable with wireless GPS. I have no idea which receiver to choose and and cannot determine whether they are compatible with the 4150.

Another question: Which software packages are compatible with these receivers?

I would appreciate any suggestions.

SKIDOG

SeanH
12-28-2003, 05:10 PM
I would recommend a BT GPS for your BT enabled PDA. If you live in the US the best software is Routis 2004. The second best software is Mapopolis. Third would be Tom Tom USA. Forth is Pharos. Fifth is Teltype.

SKIGOD
12-28-2003, 05:53 PM
Sean,

Thanks for your reply. As I live in Belgium, I am leaning toward the SOCKET GPS Receiver with Bluetooth Wireless Technology (GP0804-405) with Mapopolis Software. I suppose that is a reasonable combination....

I looked for a European version of the Routis 2004 software but don't seem to find it.

Frosty Vibe
12-28-2003, 06:41 PM
I am in the market for a BT GPS as well and here are the models that I am interested in.

1. Holux GR230 ( ST mode )

2. Fortuna Dual mode XTRAC. ( dual mode )

3. LeadTek 9537. ( ST mode )

That's the one I am leaning towards.

As for software, I am not sure if Routis has a European version either... I know that Destinator and Mapopolis do.

--------------------

I would recommend a BT GPS for your BT enabled PDA. If you live in the US the best software is Routis 2004. The second best software is Mapopolis. Third would be Tom Tom USA. Forth is Pharos. Fifth is Teltype.

Why do you think Routis is best ?

I am tore between Destinator , Mapoplois and Routis...

thank you :)

Sven Johannsen
12-29-2003, 01:30 PM
For the OP, I'd give TomTom a look considering where you are. Mapopolis just recently produced a European map set which is not that mature yet. (No points of interest to speak of) I'm using it on a trip in Germany right now because I am very happy with Mapopolis in the States. TomTom has just recently gotten into stateside maps, and so is not that mature on that side of the globe. In Europe though it seems to be well reviewed. In any package you really have two pieces. There is the mapping software, which provides all the functions, searching, routing, navigation help, etc. and then there are the maps. Naturally you want software that can work with the best maps for your area.

If it were not for my familiarity with Mapopolis, I think I woud lean strongly towards TomTom for European use.

The Socket works fine with the 4150 BTW, that is what I am using in Germany and the Netherlands.