View Full Version : microsoft reader

david1960
12-28-2003, 03:13 PM
I cannot get microsoft reader to work on my pocket pc- I have activated the reader on my desktop pc and pocket pc, bought e books on line-but I can only read books on desktop pc.On pocket pc it says cant open. What can I do to get e books to open on pocket pc. I have pocket pc 2003 on an asus a620.

dh
12-28-2003, 03:49 PM
You might want to do a search of the site, or just browse through the eBook forum because this is a common question. Anyway, you probably need to download the latest version of MS Reader from the reader website - www.microsoft.com/reader

There was an update a while ago, which needs to replace the version of Reader that is in ROM. After you download the file, install it in your main memory, do the activation thingy again and you should be all set. :)

david1960
12-29-2003, 12:08 AM
dh-your reply was great -reinstalled version of microsoft reader and it worked-thanks

shawnc
12-29-2003, 01:38 AM
David,

You are truly the Reader-Fix-It-Man.

dh
12-29-2003, 04:11 AM
David,
You are truly the Reader-Fix-It-Man.
Not really, I just picked up a lot of great advice right here when I was struggling with the same kinds of issues. I know firsthand how frustrating these things can be, so if I can return the favor by helping out someone else I will. :)

It's dumb that anyone buying a brand new PPC already has outdated versions of Reader and the .NET Framework - who knows what else! Most of us are still stuck with 64MB of RAM so the last thing we want to do is fill it up with things that belong in the ROM. :evil:

david1960
12-29-2003, 08:31 PM
i agree with dh-I cant understand how they can sell a new pocket pc with an outdated product. i contacted microsoft helpline and they told me pocket pc 2003 does not need updating-absolute rubbish.

nitecap
12-30-2003, 05:52 AM
On a different note, I'm having problems with the activation process in Microsoft Reader. I've tried numerous times to activate MS Reader to no avail. I have a hotmail account and I've signed in but I'm not getting any kind of message that an activation download has ocurred. Once I sign in I'm just returned to the page where you're asked to sign in again. The screen shows I'm signed in but, again, no evidence of any download of an activation certificate. Both the Pocket PC (Dell Axim) and my PC version of MS Reader continue to show that they have not been activated. Any suggestions?

baker
12-30-2003, 02:39 PM
Go to Internet Explorer and clear your Cookies. Then go back to register/download.

nitecap
01-01-2004, 10:35 PM
Thanks, Baker. Your advice did the trick. Cleared the cookies and voila! Both the PC and the Pocket PC versions are activated. :)