View Full Version : Looking for free ebooks

kcarl
12-27-2003, 01:46 PM
Hi everybody.
I sorry to disturb you with a so feeble subject, but I would like to ask you something.
Well I'm looking for Harry Potter E-books. However the problem is thqt I was unable to to find out any web Site offering Harry Potter for free.
I'm not very good at Computers, so If you could help me, I'd be very gratefull.

Thank you very much.

dh
12-27-2003, 02:09 PM
Sorry, the Harry Potter books are not currently available in any eBook format so you are out of luck if you are looking for legal copies. They would not be free in anycase, only public domain books that are out of copyright are normally available for free.

eBooks generally sell for a similar price to the paperback version, sometimes a tad more.

The Yaz
12-27-2003, 03:06 PM
There were ebook versions of the first three Harry Potter stories available from a company called QX. They were cheaply priced which leaves me to believe that they are not authorized copies.

They company who made them also converted the Lord of the Rings trilogy to ebook as well.

I went to attach a link to the site but it is no longer available.

Too bad,

Steve 8)

PetiteFlower
12-27-2003, 09:55 PM
You may be able to find free illegal ebooks floating around the net but we can't tell you where to find them here.

tanalasta
12-28-2003, 11:01 AM
Sorry, the Harry Potter books are not currently available in any eBook format so you are out of luck if you are looking for legal copies. They would not be free in anycase, only public domain books that are out of copyright are normally available for free.

That's not quite true... I have *ahem* seen all five of these books beautifully formatted in iSilo format complete with some original illustrations. The person who converted them stated that she owned the original hard copies and converted them for the sole purpose of personal use and portability. Similarly, I've also seen Lord of the Rings floating about ;)

However, I'm not sure of the legality of this so to quote petiteflower.
You may be able to find free illegal ebooks floating around the net but we can't tell you where to find them here.

dh
12-28-2003, 04:28 PM
That's not quite true... I have *ahem* seen all five of these books beautifully formatted in iSilo format complete with some original illustrations. The person who converted them stated that she owned the original hard copies and converted them for the sole purpose of personal use and portability. Similarly, I've also seen Lord of the Rings floating about ;)
That's pretty much what I said, there are no "legal" copies of these books. I believe that it might well be permitted to have an eBook version of a book you already own, (I have The Lord of the Rings myself in .lit format that came from a PocketPC site) but sharing the files on the Internet is certainly (maybe?) not legal.

I believe the publishing industry is missing an excellent business opportunity by not making books such as these available at prices that discourage illegal sharing. If someone wants the book they are going to get it anyway, so why not make some money from the transaction.