View Full Version : Sprint CF 2031 Card and HP 2215

GLR
12-27-2003, 09:36 AM
I am wondering if anyone has experience running Sprint CF 2031 Card via HP 2215. Specifically, would the PDA be able to power the card without the need to attach the huge battery it comes with? I am using Sprint PC card using the PC expansion sleeve on my older model IPAQ and was considering upgrading but CF card with battery attached is larger than my unit now with PC expansion sleeve.

AL904a
12-27-2003, 03:13 PM
I am using the CF-2031 with my iPAQ 5555 by using the PC Card Plus expansion pack and the CF-2031 in its PCMIA card adaptor. The battery in the expansion pack powers the card without the need for the CF2031's battery.

GLR
12-27-2003, 05:32 PM
Yes, that's my understanding too that expansion sleeve with battery would allow the card to run. I was wondering if 2215 which has CF slot built in without the the expansion sleeve will be able to power the card on its own. I have both the slim 900 MaH battery that came with the 2215 unit and the extended 3600 mAh battery add on.

that_kid
12-27-2003, 06:33 PM
I've seen posts from people who had the cf2031 working fine without the included battery. I've also heard of it not working unless you use the included battery. I tooky my cf2031 to compusa and tried it in a 2215 and it did work for a few minutes then it stopped working. The cf2031 draws a crazy amount of current and it's a crapshot trying to get it working without the included battery. I couldn't use my cf2031 with my cf plus pack or cf pack but it works fine with my pcmcia pack. So I would say YMMV.

Highline
12-28-2003, 03:38 AM
Yes, that's my understanding too that expansion sleeve with battery would allow the card to run. I was wondering if 2215 which has CF slot built in without the the expansion sleeve will be able to power the card on its own. I have both the slim 900 MaH battery that came with the 2215 unit and the extended 3600 mAh battery add on.

GLR, Could you please post a link of some kind as to where I could buy the 3600 mAh battery add on? I assume it is a sleeve that clicks on it to power it? I have not been able to find it online :(

Thanks in advance!

:takethat:

Janak Parekh
12-28-2003, 06:41 AM
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20855

It replaces the "default" battery with a larger one that protrudes out the back. It certainly has the capacity, but whether it has the current to power the Sprint CF card, I don't know.

--janak

GLR
12-28-2003, 07:20 AM
I guess there is only one way to find out is to try it. I am waiting to get the card from Sprint and will give to a go then. I've heard from other people that it's a toss up, seems to work in some units without using the Sprint battery and doesn't work at all in others. I'll see if it works with the larger battery and if so how long it will last, although I have to tell you, I compared HP 2215 with the protruding 3600 mAH battery attached and someone else's HP 5555 with PC Plus sleeve side by side today and the difference in size isn't that much. Obviously there is a difference in $$.

As far as availability, the larger battery is available straight from HP, part number FA197A but note you would have to upgrade your ROM to version 1.01 and it may mess with some of your peripheral accesories like keyboards.

Highline
12-28-2003, 02:04 PM
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20855

It replaces the "default" battery with a larger one that protrudes out the back. It certainly has the capacity, but whether it has the current to power the Sprint CF card, I don't know.

--janak

Thanks so much for pasting that!

8O