View Full Version : Shortcuts for PocketPC

Powderfinger
12-26-2003, 07:21 PM
One of my biggest gripes when I switched from the Palm OS to the PocketPC was my inability to utilize shortcuts. In the Palm OS you could specify nearly anyshortcut or shorthand for anything you wanted. I could make the shortcut symbol and write my initials and it would write my name. I could write "us" and my girlfriends name and mine would pop up. I utilize these shortcuts more than most as I do a lot of birding (birdwatching) Each species has it's own four letter code and is in a specific order. The Palm shortcuts made recording my sightings a breeze. I could just write the four letter code and the entire bird name would pop up, correctly hyphenated, spelled etc,

for example I would just write COLO and this would appear

003, Common Loon,

I could then just enter the number that I observed. This made writing the species down so easy and fast. I could not find anything to do this on the PocketPC for nearly a year. When I looked up shortcuts I would get things that were shortcuts to open programs. Then I found Calligrapher, specifically the Pen Commander portion of the program. Wow! It is even better than the Palm version as it does not bog down when I get a lot of shortcuts in it. With the Palm OS, I had all the Eastern birds in it and it was slow to update. Now with Pen Commander, I've got all the US birds and more and there is no noticable decrease in speed. I can edit them way easier too! Also, you are not limited to 75 chacters or spaces. I do not know what the limit is for Pen Commander shortcut length but I've not hit it yet. So, if any Palm converted folks are looking for "shortcuts" on the PocketPC, I'd recommend Calligrapher and Pen Commander.