View Full Version : Jenneth Does An iPAQ 2215 Case Roundup

Janak Parekh
12-26-2003, 08:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.jenneth.info/archives/003436.html' target='_blank'>http://www.jenneth.info/archives/003436.html</a><br /><br /></div>"For those that know me, I'm an avid lover of cases for my mobile devices. Some may prefer to admire the beauty of their PDA unsullied, but for me, slipping it into a sexy case just further enhances its appeal. I'd originally planned to have this review done well before the Christmas season so that iPAQ 2210 owners (or family/friends/partners of 2210 owners) could pick out for themselves a nice case for Christmas. Nevertheless, perhaps you should get a nice new case for New Years instead! For this review I've picked out 7 cases from the creme de la creme of PDA leather case manufacturers - Vaja, Covertec, Proporta, Piel Frama, Krusell, Sena and Bellagio."<br /><br />Not only did she pick out 7 different cases, she reviewed them <i>thoroughly</i>, with lots of pictures. This is one of the longest case roundup articles I've read in quite a while, so if you're looking for a 2215 case, look no further. :)

griph
12-27-2003, 12:14 AM
Not only did she pick out 7 different cases, she reviewed them thoroughly, with lots of pictures. This is one of the longest case roundup articles I've read in quite a while, so if you're looking for a 2215 case, look no further. :)
I have to agree on the quality of the review - and the length! ;-)

A couple of comments though. Some of the cases have a lot of exposed PDA with little protection when closed - I was interested that this was not noted on some of the cases as a con.

I have the Vaja Aptus - and as Jenneth says the quality speaks for itself. I purposely shied away from the bright/light colour cases and quite happily stayed with the standard Black with rich red interior - the case shows no dirt whatsoever - and I have noted that most minor surface scratches can be self healed by gently rubbing over them with a finger.

The $109 asking price is high (well it was until I used the PocketPC Thoughts $20 discount voucher :) ) but in my book was value for money for the best case that money can buy, which when closed afforded unparalleled protection to the PDA is . I do agree that access to the Reset hole would have been nice, and perhaps Vaja can modifgy future models to include this - but not a big issue IMHO.

jb
12-27-2003, 12:43 AM
Great, I went to this website and ended up with having to remove a massive amount of ad programs which got loaded on my computer.

30 minutes on ad-aware and still at it.

Just a warning to all!!!!!

proutpa
12-27-2003, 12:45 AM
I'm confused about the best rated case:

http://www.jenneth.info/archives/images2/krusell2.jpg

"As with the Sena, the Krusell case frames the screen completely, though it doesn't cover the button area at all. I actually prefer this approach than to Sena's approach, as it looks much cleaner. The screen cutout is also perfectly cut, unlike the Sena which hindered use of the top part of the screen. In terms of cutouts, this case has it all - cutouts for the LED indicators, power button, stylus silo, earphone jack, speaker and soft reset hole. Well done Krusell!"

It doesn't look perfectly cut to me, it looks like it's shifted dramatically to the right.

Janak Parekh
12-27-2003, 12:54 AM
Great, I went to this website and ended up with having to remove a massive amount of ad programs which got loaded on my computer.
Really? :confused totally: I just opened it up in both IE and Mozilla and got no spyware, ActiveX controls, etc. I've never seen it on her site, either...

--janak

Doug Raeburn
12-27-2003, 02:38 AM

Don't think it had anything to do with her site. I run Ad-Watch monitoring all the time, and it always warns when an attempt to load spyware is being made. Didn't get a peep at Jenneth's site.

Nice review, BTW... although I will say that our tastes in styling are at opposite ends of the spectrum. I think the iVolution is one of the ugliest things I've ever seen... it looks like the iPAQ fell into a cotton candy maker. 8O All it would need is a picture of Blueberry Muffin on it, and it would be perfect for my niece to take to preschool. I'd certainly have to be prepared for some rather bemused reactions from my colleagues if I brought it to my next business meeting...

And yes, I realize that it comes in some less "extreme" colors, but this case just leaves me completely cold, regardless of color.

As far as looking further, I was mildly disappointed to see that my preferred case, the EB, wasn't included. That's not a criticism... I fully realize that you have to draw the line somewhere in any review. I'm just mentioning another alternative.

blusparkles
12-27-2003, 04:17 AM
Nice review, BTW... although I will say that our tastes in styling are at opposite ends of the spectrum. I think the iVolution is one of the ugliest things I've ever seen... it looks like the iPAQ fell into a cotton candy maker. 8O All it would need is a picture of Blueberry Muffin on it, and it would be perfect for my niece to take to preschool. I'd certainly have to be prepared for some rather bemused reactions from my colleagues if I brought it to my next business meeting...

And yes, I realize that it comes in some less "extreme" colors, but this case just leaves me completely cold, regardless of color.

As far as looking further, I was mildly disappointed to see that my preferred case, the EB, wasn't included. That's not a criticism... I fully realize that you have to draw the line somewhere in any review. I'm just mentioning another alternative.

Thanks. Yes, I realise that the particular colour of case I chose for the Vaja wouldn't appeal to everyone (guys in particular) - but it's my favourite colour and it also gets lots of favourable comments from other people.

An EB case was on my list of cases to review .. unfortunately they did not reply to my email requesting a review unit.

blusparkles
12-27-2003, 04:20 AM
I'm confused about the best rated case:

http://www.jenneth.info/archives/images2/krusell2.jpg

"As with the Sena, the Krusell case frames the screen completely, though it doesn't cover the button area at all. I actually prefer this approach than to Sena's approach, as it looks much cleaner. The screen cutout is also perfectly cut, unlike the Sena which hindered use of the top part of the screen. In terms of cutouts, this case has it all - cutouts for the LED indicators, power button, stylus silo, earphone jack, speaker and soft reset hole. Well done Krusell!"

It doesn't look perfectly cut to me, it looks like it's shifted dramatically to the right.

Oh, that's just because the iPAQ isn't positioned properly in it. The Krusell case isn't as tight a fit as the other cases, so it can move around a bit, which is what happened in the picture you linked to.

proutpa
12-27-2003, 06:16 AM
Oh, that's just because the iPAQ isn't positioned properly in it. The Krusell case isn't as tight a fit as the other cases, so it can move around a bit, which is what happened in the picture you linked to.

Cool, thanks for the update :)

griph
12-29-2003, 01:41 AM
BTW... although I will say that our tastes in styling are at opposite ends of the spectrum. I think the iVolution is one of the ugliest things I've ever seen... it looks like the iPAQ fell into a cotton candy maker. 8O All it would need is a picture of Blueberry Muffin on it, and it would be perfect for my niece to take to preschool. I'd certainly have to be prepared for some rather bemused reactions from my colleagues if I brought it to my next business meeting.

I'd go so far as to say that I too wouldn't go for the Jenneth colour scheme - might get some odd looks at the office - but then with the range of colours available there is something there fore everyone. You are entitled to your opinion on the Vaja case - but then individual choice is what it is all about - otherwise there would only be a need for a single case. Personally the Aptus case is the most aesthetically pleasing case - but that is just my opinion.