View Full Version : What we lost when Hp bought Compaq.

dhettel
12-25-2003, 10:16 PM
Sitting here at Christmas and thinking....

What we lost when HP bought Compaq.

IMHO Compaq was the first company to really run with the PocketPC, platform. Compaq created the iPAQ, and by so doing ensured the success of the PocketPC software. The iPAQ had a mystique, something the other PocketPC lacked. The iPAQ had Flash ROMs and it could and was upgraded, often. That gave it extra value, extra worth. It was something you where going to keep. It was worth the time it took, to get to know it, how it would work for you. How you could best use it. The 3600s where special in many ways. If you didn't like Microsoft's Windows CE you could put Linux on it. And if you didn't like Linux you could come back to Windows CE. Compaq would even restore your iPAQ if you turned it into a brick trying to put Linux on it. Compaq believed in the iPAQ. They where proud of it. There was the Parrot page. The 3600 was upgradeable and it didn't take long to figure out it would be around for a while.

Now look at what HP has given us. Your iPAQ today will be replaced with a newer, improved model in six to eight months. When the first of a series is released, expect to have problems with it. Hmm no need to take the time to learn how your iPAQ works, you will not be using it anyway in 8 months to a year.

Hp gave us SD slots, and we where told about all the wonderful cards that would work in SD slots. But SD slots in 3800s where not SDI/O slots, we learned a new word SDI/O. HP gave us 3900s to fix the limitations of the 3800s. 3900s had SDIO slots! But wait the 3900s needed a ROM upgrade to work! We got SD Memory cards that failed, and kept on failing. Yep some worked, but lots of them didn't. I still see and hear of SD memory cards that fail. Whose fault is it? Remember hearing about 1 GB cards, 2 GB cards before the end of the year? Even 10 and 20 GB cards? Where are they? Just around the corner, sure to be released next month. One day they will arrive. Just think hard drive capacity on a little card? Will the card continue to work tho? Can I count on it to last a month, six months, a year?

I never had a problem with flash memory until my 3870 and SD cards, I still have my first PCMCIA flash card, and it works to! My first handful of SD cards are all in the trash somewhere. They have all failed. Just think how much more data we will be able to store on 1 GB SD cards. How much more we stand to lose if that 20 GB SD card finds its way into your iPAQ.

Do you think by then we will be able to store programs like Journal Bar, and Battery Bar, IP Dashboard on the SD card, and have them run? Be able to run the newest driver for the Wi-Fi card from the Storage card, and have it work?

Remember when cards where coming out with IR emitters to control your home entertainment system? We where seeing CF cards and devices you could plug into the headphone jack. Then Hp gave us Nevo. And all the others kind of fell by the wayside. Nevo was great, if you used it. If you didn't, Nevo took up little space, and didn't cause problems. Then Hp killed Nevo.

What has Hp given you? An iPAQ with a life of 6 to 8 months? Then it becomes obsolete, a throw away? SD cards that last a month, 6 months, a year, even 2 maybe 3 years? SDIO cards that may work, or may not, where half of the card sticks out of the top of your iPAQ. Where the body is as thin as a match stick, just waiting to snap? Where SDIO cards if you can find them, are more expensive than CF cards.

Yes all this stuff is new. But should we run madly to embrace it, just because it is new? Is newness reason enough? Does it meet a real need of ours? Or is it just a way to get us to spend? Does it help you be more productive, that in the 5 to 6 months that it takes to learn and understand your device, to know it's little quirks, the device becomes obsolete?

Some things are great steps forward, replaceable batteries for example. But do I really need a replaceable battery, if my device will be obsolete in six or eight months? America has become a throw-away society. I can't help but think when you look at society that way, it lessen the value of everything. Corporate greed is wrong, and it is dangerous. Because corporations have the money and the skill to teach us all to be greedy too. Isn't that the values they teach, what was good enough yesterday is no longer good enough? That you deserve better? That you need better?

I see lots of things that could be improved, how about the first PocketPC with a GB or more of internal memory? If we can put a GB of memory, and interface electronics on a postage stamp size card, do you really thing it wouldn't fit in your PocketPC? Why isn't it there? Why is the main memory limited to 32 MB, or even 64 MB? If you have one of the newest you may be lucky and have as much as 128 MB, but to much of that needs to be use to store programs, that can't be stored on the Storage Card. Would that be something you wouldn't want? Or the first PocketPC with a Storage Card that you could actually use as one would use a hard drive in a PC? Where programs store on it could be run on the today screen, or short cuts on the start menu would keep their icons, after a soft reset.

Yes Hp has given us built-in Wi-Fi, but where is the storage space, to effectively use that Wi-Fi ability? 802.11b is old now, but most PocketPC I have seen don't even operate at true 802.11b speeds, there is a bottle neck, that limits the ability to move that data within the PocketPC at anything near true 802.11 b speeds. Does one really need an 802.11 g connection to move 32 MB of data? Or even an 802.11 b connection. If we are going to have the ability to connect at these speeds, shouldn't it be because we can use them effectively? We have 802.11 b that is like ten times faster than most DSL connections, but loading a web page even with DSL is slow.

Then there is Bluetooth. Plugging in the phone cord is rather simple, even my 3 year old knows how to plug in and unplug the phone. Bluetooth the cable replacement. Wasn't the idea suppose to be cable replacement? Did you really think you would spends hours in trying to figure out how you would go about plugging in that phone cable? Or the Bluetooth phone cable? Or the Bluetooth GPS cable? Maps that can't be loaded on SD memory cards, because you lose the connection when you try to read the map data from the SD memory card. Requiring you to reset your device. But don't worry, the next one will be better. Do more. Display more. Like the Toshiba e800, a beautiful VGA screen, but the only thing you can use in VGA, is one program out of the box? As if that was not sad enough, they went and made it hard, to add your own. Did you buy an e800 and pay Toshiba to work against you too? That ROM created to disable the Start Menu in VGA mode. Think that was a bug? Think the programmer created that for free for Toshiba?

Of course your next PocketPC will not be perfect, it will have new flaws, that will never be truly fix. But that's OK there will be an improved model in 5 months, that will do more, and also less.....

Isn't that what Hp has taught us to expect? That Toshiba has taught us to expect? Can anyone say e740, or 3870? Did Toshiba look at Hp and how Hp treated it's 3800 owners, and learn from that? Is that why we have the upgradeable e740 with no upgrade? Is that why the Compaq Bluetooth Jacket is supported so well in Windows Mobile 2003? Why owners of 3900s who paid for an upgrade to Windows Mobile 2003, have the newest Bluetooth Software in ROM? Is that perhaps why after paying to upgrade to Windows Mobile 2003, with our devices limited to 64 MB of memory, if we are lucky we have RAM updates the eat into that limited 64 MB of memory for Bluetooth updates, for Wi-Fi driver updates, for Reader updates, for Microsoft MSN Messenger updates? Anyone recall how Compaq did updates? Anyone see where the real expectations are headed?

David Hettel

rhmorrison
12-26-2003, 12:03 AM
What we lost was the hp Jornada series.

I love my Jornada 568. I would prefer a scroll wheel (or even better a sony-like jog dial) instead of the up / down buttons on the left hand side and a battery with more juice would be nice but I think it still compares well with a lot of units on the market. No it does NOT have an SDIO slot, nor does it have built in WLAN or blue tooth but who cares. When I need WLAN I remove my storage card and plug in my socket WLAN card. The SDIO slot I really don't miss. There was a Jornada 7xx that was never released. I think we would have better units had they continued development of the Jornada series instead of taking over the Compaq iPAQ family, but thats just my opinion.

Built in WLAN, at least 128 MB memory and a very long battery life would have been easily realized goals for the Jornada. Now I guess I'll have to buy an iPAQ when my Jornada dies (assuming I can't find a replacement).

ombu
12-26-2003, 02:57 AM
What we lost was the hp Jornada series.

I love my Jornada 568. I would prefer a scroll wheel (or even better a sony-like jog dial) instead of the up / down buttons on the left hand side and a battery with more juice would be nice but I think it still compares well with a lot of units on the market. No it does NOT have an SDIO slot, nor does it have built in WLAN or blue tooth but who cares. When I need WLAN I remove my storage card and plug in my socket WLAN card. The SDIO slot I really don't miss. There was a Jornada 7xx that was never released. I think we would have better units had they continued development of the Jornada series instead of taking over the Compaq iPAQ family, but thats just my opinion.

Built in WLAN, at least 128 MB memory and a very long battery life would have been easily realized goals for the Jornada. Now I guess I'll have to buy an iPAQ when my Jornada dies (assuming I can't find a replacement).

:bawl: I agree, yep, ouch, the Jornada. :bawl:

Hyperluminal
12-26-2003, 06:38 AM
Dhettel.. without going into a long analysis of what you're saying, let me just point out a few things...

First of all, the 3800 series was released before the merger took place, and I'm pretty sure before it was even announced.

Also, and I can say this from experience, that while the iPaq 3600 series was extremely innovative, and had a lot of mystique, it was anything but reliable. The first few months' worth were riddled with problems; it took them about a year to get it to normal quality. And before the iPaq, their designs weren't that great anyway (with some exceptions, like possibly the 1500 series).

And just in my opinion, I don't think Compaq was any better than anyone nowadays in terms of getting people to upgrade and get rid of their old ones...

Janak Parekh
12-26-2003, 06:52 AM
Thanks Hyperluminal, you summed up my thinking better than I could have. :way to go:

First of all, the 3800 series was released before the merger took place, and I'm pretty sure before it was even announced.
Yes, I'm pretty sure I ordered and got my 3870 before the merger was announced.

Also, and I can say this from experience, that while the iPaq 3600 series was extremely innovative, and had a lot of mystique, it was anything but reliable.
I was going to say, of all the iPAQs I've worked with, my 3650 was by far the worst. If anything, the 3900 series was a huge leap forward for the iPAQ line in terms of stability -- and that was the first "HP"-branded iPAQ.

And just in my opinion, I don't think Compaq was any better than anyone nowadays in terms of getting people to upgrade and get rid of their old ones...
Indeed. Anyone remember the debacles with the first 3650 ROM update? It introduced as many bugs as it solved. And it took them forever to get the Pocket PC 2002 updates out on time... and those required you to install more apps in RAM, even if you had the 32MB of ROM.

David, I understand your general sentiments and agree with some of them, but I personally believe you're waxing a bit too nostalgic for the Compaq days.

--janak

WyattEarp
12-26-2003, 07:46 AM
I think we gained a good number of things but lost a company that helped keep the competition going. One less company means a lot less innovation from the remaining few. And that's the worst of all, because someone will always create a device better than the one you own sooner or later. But who keeps companies on their toes to add true innovation and creativity on a day-to-day basis; only competing companies and Compaq was it IMO.

Vulcan
12-26-2003, 09:34 AM
We as comsumers reward companies for turning out half finished products when we buy into the hype the ad guys sling.....I had a Sharp electronic organizer for many years...worked fine for storing phone numbers but that was about it. I decided to upgrade to a Palm III so I could sync with my PC for data backup and run a database program when mobile....Had that for about 4 years and it worked great for what it did. Yes the batteries would go dead and my data would have to be resynced etc but the device worked fine for the tasks it was intended for. I have since switched to the PPC world with the E750 because for the need for wifi and better compatibility with Office products. I have had my E750 for about 4 months now and it has been flawless.....I bet that I will have it for several years before I find a task that I need to do that it is not able to do.....Don't be a sucker. Decide what you need, get a unit that meets that job description and then use the heck out of it. Just my 2 cents...

nosmohtac
12-26-2003, 10:40 AM
I voted that we lost a lot, but I think we lost a lot on the HP side.

I too loved my 568, and would have loved to see the next generation of Jornada. I think the 2215 comes pretty close, but would have been even better in the Jornada form factor.

I agree that the 39xx series was the first big leap forward, but I missed having a scroll button on the side. I thought it was great to have SD built in, and add a CF with a Jacket, but I couldn't believe how much bigger my iPAQ was with a CF jacket compared to my Jornada.

Jeff the pianoguy
12-27-2003, 07:39 PM
David,
I thought I'd see what else your writing. I think you're my new best friend :roll: J.K. I like what you wrote about discarding what you have for the "new better, faster, smaller one!" The reason I've been so frustrated with my 3835, is because of pocket pc 2002 and a faulty sd slot. I don't ever buy the latest and greatest of anything. I watch and wait for the price to come down.(and reliability to go up) I learned the hard way when I jumped on the 4150 before I knew what it would do.(don't get me wrong, it's very cool) It has to be possible to make a PPC with bigger ram!

JvanEkris
12-27-2003, 10:25 PM
Yeah we Lost big time,

I still miss the splendid design the Jornada 548 had: small, rounded, rubber grips, the nice protective hood and the jog-dial. It is a real shame that this design isn't perfected into the new millennium. If the Specs were even remotly comparable to a 1910, and the looks more like the 548, i would buy it at an instant.

Jaap

Ed Hansberry
12-28-2003, 04:23 AM
David - Now you see why not to edit posts with polls in them after the first vote is cast. :wink: php bug. :?