View Full Version : Wired router + WiFi AP?

felixdd
12-25-2003, 08:03 AM
I found some equipment at a good price that will WiFi-enable my house. But I already have a wired router with a print server that I don't want to be rid of. The router also connects to my cable modem and provides internet for everyone in the house.

Can I just buy an access point and connect it to my router? Would everyone have internet this way? In my mind, a wireless access point is analogous to a wired hub.

DimensionZero
12-25-2003, 09:42 AM
The short answer. Yes.

Just keep in mind that if you purchase a wireless router, then you'll want to either connect the network cable from the wired router to a LAN port on the AP, or connect it to the WAN port of the AP and turn off DHCP and all the other fancy stuff so it becomes just a hub.

felixdd
12-26-2003, 11:53 PM
Yeah this is what I ended up doing. However I'm having trouble getting my PDA to go online. I suspect it's with the routing table (I'm scouring through google here).

It seems like some of us here has done this already -- here's my setup:

MODEM -> WIRED Router -> WiFi router

My wired router is a DLink 704P; my WiFi router is a DLink 614+

Help? :cry:

that_kid
12-27-2003, 12:11 AM
Try going from the modem->router->lan port on the wifi router. This way you won't have to mess with routing tables. Make sure the lan on the router and wifi router are the same ie 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0

felixdd
12-27-2003, 06:20 AM
Well in the end I got my friend to bring a short crossed cable and we followed the instructions on another post here on PPCT (it also helps that he's a comp tech. It works perfectly now -- doing everything that I wanted. It does activesync, and I'm posting this by terminal services client while chatting with friends -- from my basement :D.

Thanks for all the help guys! :)